Author Topic: First the Vikings ...  (Read 3287 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: First the Vikings ...
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 08:38:07 AM »
Since no one seems to have noticed Rooster and my posts...:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/11/americas/mayan-city-debunk/

It's not a city. It's a nice story, but wrong.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 09:01:28 AM »

Well, if you're going to throw out a totally independent statement like "And....it was a fallow corn field." and let it go at that with no referents, no further comments, no link, no wonder. For myself, I'm not a mind reader.

At first, I thought it was some kind of "inside joke" or remark and was going to dismiss it.  

But I was puzzled by it and had to do some searching to figure out what it meant, which I did.

Frankly, and take no offense, but that bald lonesome statement kinda irked me since I had to take the time to dig around on it.

But don't say nobody noticed it just because there was no further comment on it.

In fact, my first question about it after I figured it out and looked at the image was "what was a cornfield doing out there in the middle of nowhere with nothing else around it?"  No tracks, no irrigation methods evident, no structural remains nearby, no nuthin'.

So I was going to wisecrack that it was just a crater from a square meteor, but I let it go.

Terry

« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:27:08 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 09:11:57 AM »

The important question is... was it a GMO corn field?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 09:25:26 AM »
Double post.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 09:26:35 AM »
The important question is... was it a GMO corn field?
Yes, but since it was done by ancient Mayans it is okay.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2016, 10:16:12 AM »
But it sounds like no one has yet to go there.  This is all based on satellite imagery.  I agree that a city that large should be noticeable though. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2016, 11:17:26 AM »

Not necessarily wrong.

The original articles cited real scientists, not just the 15-year old, who thought the site may be a Mayan city. Now you come up with one article that cites a couple of scientists who disagree -- or who, at best, aren't convinced. That's hardly conclusive proof that the kid is wrong. I think the first articles all agreed that it's only a theory until someone actually goes there and puts boots on the ground to see if there are remains of a city.

By the way -- since by definition a fallow field is a field with nothing planted in it, how can it be a fallow corn field? And, since any clearing would be overgrown within months if not maintained -- if it is a fallow field, why is it still there?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2016, 11:39:37 AM »
Well, if you're going to throw out a totally independent statement like "And....it was a fallow corn field." and let it go at that with no referents, no further comments, no link, no wonder. For myself, I'm not a mind reader.

At first, I thought it was some kind of "inside joke" or remark and was going to dismiss it.  

But I was puzzled by it and had to do some searching to figure out what it meant, which I did.

Frankly, and take no offense, but that bald lonesome statement kinda irked me since I had to take the time to dig around on it.

But don't say nobody noticed it just because there was no further comment on it.

In fact, my first question about it after I figured it out and looked at the image was "what was a cornfield doing out there in the middle of nowhere with nothing else around it?"  No tracks, no irrigation methods evident, no structural remains nearby, no nuthin'.

So I was going to wisecrack that it was just a crater from a square meteor, but I let it go.

Terry

Was in a hurry.

Not necessarily wrong.

The original articles cited real scientists, not just the 15-year old, who thought the site may be a Mayan city. Now you come up with one article that cites a couple of scientists who disagree -- or who, at best, aren't convinced. That's hardly conclusive proof that the kid is wrong. I think the first articles all agreed that it's only a theory until someone actually goes there and puts boots on the ground to see if there are remains of a city.

By the way -- since by definition a fallow field is a field with nothing planted in it, how can it be a fallow corn field? And, since any clearing would be overgrown within months if not maintained -- if it is a fallow field, why is it still there?

Slash & burn agriculture destroys what was there and the intensive farming with corn or what have you depletes the soil.  Eventually it will be 100% overgrown with vegetation indistinguishable--at some point in the future,  For a good while, though, it will be noticeably different from the surrounding vegetation.

A fallow corn field is one that once had corn, but now no longer is actively worked. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XziT3I9d1w

As for other infrastructure, we're not talking about mid-Iowa cash crop corn.  All the infrastructure needed is a dirt track back to a village, not I-80 and THE WORLDS BIGGEST TRUCK STOP!
http://iowa80truckstop.com/
(Don;t miss the trucking museum.  My son & daughter were delighted.)

I suspect folk don't hop on a plane and mount an expedition because at the end of it all you've got is an overgrown fallow (whatever crop) field and some illiterate locals standing around, wondering why all these white men traveled to see the field they abandoned when it played out.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 11:51:12 AM »
Yeah, no where in that article that I saw does someone come out and say that the kid was full of crap.

It's all couched in terms of doubt.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 12:09:21 PM »
Yeah, no where in that article that I saw does someone come out and say that the kid was full of crap.

It's all couched in terms of doubt.

Very true. But it also means all the conclusions jumping that happened in the article and this thread really ought to be taken with a grain (or more) of salt.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 12:33:38 PM »
As for other infrastructure, we're not talking about mid-Iowa cash crop corn.  All the infrastructure needed is a dirt track back to a village, not I-80 and THE WORLDS BIGGEST TRUCK STOP!

So, where's the village? I didn't see anything resembling a nearby village in the photos in any of the articles.

I suspect folk don't hop on a plane and mount an expedition because at the end of it all you've got is an overgrown fallow (whatever crop) field and some illiterate locals standing around, wondering why all these white men traveled to see the field they abandoned when it played out.

I suspect people don't hop on a plane to mount an expedition to a remote area in a dangerous country because it costs money, and it's not in their budget.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design