Author Topic: Ancient Bible text found - poor minorities hardest hit  (Read 3728 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Ancient Bible text found - poor minorities hardest hit
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 02:10:08 PM »
Hawk, we do disturb the comparatively recent (compared to egypt) dead in this country as well for historical research. I know they've poked around with the dead at Jamestown.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 02:37:59 PM »
Hell, in college I was an intern on an archaeological survey team at Presque Isle, Pennsylvania (War of 1812). We were digging in a camp dump when we cut into a cluster of unknown graves, apparently from one of the smallpox hospitals that were in the area.

We excavated.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2016, 02:46:24 PM »
We treat the ancient dead much differently than we do the recent dead.

Except for certain limited circumstances, we're not going to learn much from a 50 year old grave.  We can learn a lot from a 500+ year old grave.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2016, 03:05:15 PM »
Plus, when it comes to the Egyptian dead, in a weird way, we are actually doing them something of a favor by preserving them for even longer. A modern digital photo of a death mask is going to last a lot longer than the death mask itself, especially if it has already decayed past any hope of preservation.

Many ancient cultures placed great import not only on how the physical remains were treated but how the person was remembered. There are cultures that placed both cultural and spiritual value on how well the deceased was known to the world.
Archaeologists who find the forgotten or little remembered dead bring them back and make them immortal in a way that they may not have understood, but probably would appreciate.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2016, 06:31:34 PM »
^^^ That's an interesting perspective -- thanks for pointing that out.

My perspective is perhaps (too?) heavily influenced by my knowledge of Native American tribes' efforts to reclaim and rebury bodies and skulls of their tribal ancestors who were disinterred by (mostly Ivy League) archeologists before we anglos reluctantly acknowledged that the Native American peoples are people whose rights are equal to our own.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2016, 08:06:17 AM »
Maybe not, but why tell the whole story except for a clear miracle, no matter how small?  It's like mentioning that Jesus showed up on a boat but forgetting to specify that he walked on the water to get there.

Except him walking on water was a big part of the story, the guys ear being reattached is more of a side note. It would be like mentioning that he walked on water to get there, but not mentioning that he also did a hand stand on the water.
I don't know I was trying to think of something and that's all I got.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2016, 11:06:18 AM »
The main problem with KD5's comments on the gospel of Luke is the assertion that Luke is the stand-out of the four accounts, based on a variation in one episode. There's a good reason (that is, a number of reasons) why John is conventionally seen as the outlier.

https://bible.org/seriespage/2-major-differences-between-john-and-synoptic-gospels

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife