Author Topic: Uh oh... Law suit against lead ammunition filed in California.  (Read 787 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Uh oh... Law suit against lead ammunition filed in California.
« on: December 01, 2006, 08:19:08 AM »
Notice that there's apparently no definitive proof that lead poisoning is the cause, and that California was already looking at doing this...

SAN FRANCISCO - Advocates for the California condor sued state wildlife regulators for allowing lead hunting ammunition despite concerns that the rare birds can die after eating carcasses contaminated with the pellets.

The environmentalists, who filed the federal suit Thursday in Los Angeles, claim the state is violating the Endangered Species Act. They want the state to require hunters to use ammunition made of copper or other materials.

One plaintiff, the San Francisco-based Center for Biological Diversity, said 46 of the giant vultures have died or disappeared after being released in California from 1992 through July 2006, and that lead poisoning may have factored into many of those deaths.

Steve Martarano, a spokesman for the Department of Fish and Game, said the timing of the suit was disappointing because the commission has been encouraging the use of nonlead ammunition and is considering changing hunting regulations by next spring.

"This issue has been of concern to the department for quite some time," Martarano said.

The condor is North America's biggest bird, with a wingspan of up to 9 feet. It could once be found from coast to coast, but hunting, pesticides and development drove the birds to the brink of extinction.

The federal government declared the bird endangered in 1967. In 1987, the last 22 wild condors were trapped and taken to zoos for a captive breeding program that raised their population to just under 300. Now 135 condors fly freely throughout the southwestern U.S.

Other plaintiffs include the Natural Resources Defense Council, Physicians for Social Responsibility and the Wishtoyo Foundation, a Chumash Indian environmental group.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

auschip

• friend
Re: Uh oh... Law suit against lead ammunition filed in California.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 09:10:56 AM »
One plaintiff, the San Francisco-based Center for Biological Diversity, said 46 of the giant vultures have died or disappeared after being released in California from 1992 through July 2006, and that lead poisoning may have factored into many of those deaths.

May have been a factor?  In 14 years, they lose 46 birds that had been raised in captivity and released into the wild, and they blame lead shot?  So you don't have any proof that lead caused the birds to die, you just think it may have factored in?  Wow.   shocked

Chris

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 10:13:36 AM »
Sounds to me like it will be resolved short of a trial and any type of significant judgment.  And, as an aside, I think manufacturers should have a kick in the butt to find and implement lead alternatives, as it will eliminate the "public health concerns" about shooting sports in terms of lead contamination.

Ron

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 02:19:33 PM »
And, as an aside, I think manufacturers should have a kick in the butt to find and implement lead alternatives
Lets switch over to depleted uranium.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 05:20:54 PM »
It could once be found from coast to coast, but hunting, pesticides and development drove the birds to the brink of extinction.

Why should I care?
Evolution in action.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 05:25:20 PM »
...I think manufacturers should have a kick in the butt to find and implement lead alternatives, as it will eliminate the "public health concerns" about shooting sports in terms of lead contamination.

Why should ammunition manufacturers be "kicked" so leftist extremists won't be able to screech and whine about so-called "public health concerns"?

Blaming lead from ammunition for the presumed death of birds is just another example of anti-Second Amendment bigotry being legitimated in the courts.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 08:40:49 PM »
AZ already incentivizes (is that a word?) hunters to use unleaded ammo when big game hunting near the Grand Canyon.  There's a bunch of condors in that area.  Unfortunately I don't shoot .308, .30-06 or derivative cartridges as in the past they've given coupons for factory loads in those popular calibers using Barnes X and similar bullets.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 02:57:18 AM »
The sooner the stupid species dies off the better off we'll all be.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 12:54:09 PM »

The condor or the CA bureaucracy?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 03:09:46 PM »

The condor or the CA bureaucracy?

Yes.