Author Topic: Yellowstone Tourist Put Bison Calf in Car Because They’re Worried It’s Cold  (Read 7701 times)

MechAg94

• friend
http://www.eastidahonews.com/2016/05/yellowstone-tourists-worried-bison-calf-is-cold-so-they-put-it-in-their-car/

Another story of clueless people who visit our parks.  I curious where the Bison's momma was.  I thought they were a bit protective.  

I guess they didn't realize the animal had it's own buffalo robe to help with the cold.

Richardson says on Monday, as students were being taught at Lamar Buffalo Ranch, a father and son pulled up at the ranger station with a bison calf in their SUV.

“They were demanding to speak with a ranger,” Richardson tells EastIdahoNews.com. “They were seriously worried that the calf was freezing and dying.”

Heusevelet says the rangers followed the pair back to where they had picked up the bison, and the animal was released.

Maybe the Rangers should have showed them a bear cub that looked cold.   =D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:27:41 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Nope, nope, nopity-nope.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
Words fail me ...

The worst part is that people like this breed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
The interesting thing to me is how clean the inside of that vehicle is.  If I tried to grab the average calf and put it into the back of an SUV, there would likely be a bit of a mess as they tend to relieve themselves when stressed. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The interesting thing to me is how clean the inside of that vehicle is.  If I tried to grab the average calf and put it into the back of an SUV, there would likely be a bit of a mess as they tend to relieve themselves when stressed. 

I noticed that. I'm hoping it left the morons a gift, on its way out.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend

Law enforcement rangers were called and the father-and-son tourists, who were from another country, were ticketed.

So, rental car, most likely.

Also, what other country could this be? My money says it has to be a European one. I suppose it could also be Japan, given the large numbers of people there without any experience outside an urban setting, but I'm still leaning towards Western Europe.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.

Quote from: From comments of the article
When I worked in Yellowstone in college, we preferred the term touron
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Never had bison veal.  Anybody tried it?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
UPDATE: The National Park Service says the bison calf was rejected by its herd and had to be euthanized. Read more here. 

I hope the rangers sent a picture of the dead calf to the asshats who essentially killed it.  :mad:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
Never had bison veal.  Anybody tried it?

I tried once. It didn't taste that great, because it was - wait for it - cold.

OK. Just saw the update about the late calf. That's terrible. I hope the tourons are still in country, or if not, that they end up paying a healthy fine, in any case.

mtnbkr

• friend
Is it possible they thought the calf was cold because it had already been rejected and was isolated?  The article wasn't clear on what made them think it was cold.

Chris

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Is it possible they thought the calf was cold because it had already been rejected and was isolated?  The article wasn't clear on what made them think it was cold.

Chris

It really doesn't matter. If they thought something was wrong (and who knows, could have been) the thing to do would be to contact the rangers and let them handle it, not go willy nilly picking it up and sticking it in the back of their SUV.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
It really doesn't matter. If they thought something was wrong (and who knows, could have been) the thing to do would be to contact the rangers and let them handle it, not go willy nilly picking it up and sticking it in the back of their SUV.

Or, just let it die. Because it's a wild animal.

mtnbkr

• friend
I'm not excusing their action, just questioning if the death is fully on their hands.  If the animal had been rejected prior to them picking it up, then the death was unavoidable and not their responsibility.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• friend
I'm not excusing their action, just questioning if the death is fully on their hands.  If the animal had been rejected prior to them picking it up, then the death was unavoidable and not their responsibility.

Chris

That might help explain why the herd was not there to protect it from idjits.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Words fail me ...

The worst part is that people like this breed.

Personally I love the damned things..

Season them right and the steaks and burgers are fantastic.

But as a back seat passenger?

NOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPE!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
That might help explain why the herd was not there to protect it from idjits.

That's just what I was thinking.  If it hadn't been rejected Momma would have been around to say no to their little plan. 

Would also maybe explain why it let them put it in the SUV and not mess it up - it was probably already half-dead, and might actually have been cold, but more from starvation/dehydration because it hadn't nursed in way too long.

Which might explain why it was approaching people.  They were at least doing SOME physical things other than chase it off.

wmenorr67

• friend
The only question I have is why euthanize the calf?  I know it had been rejected but why couldn't it have been placed in a sanctuary and allowed to live?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
The only question I have is why euthanize the calf?  I know it had been rejected but why couldn't it have been placed in a sanctuary and allowed to live?

Might have been sick and killing it was a quarantine measure? Just guessing.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends

Considering the price of a bison, I'm sure someone would have been willing to come pick it up for free.

Might have been sick and killing it was a quarantine measure? Just guessing.

Not that hard to isolate it in a pen for a bit and see.  I mean, it let itself be loaded into an SUV, so it can't be that flighty.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Not that hard to isolate it in a pen for a bit and see.  I mean, it let itself be loaded into an SUV, so it can't be that flighty.

Probably very, very sick then.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Damn it's nice not having to deal with tourists anymore...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
Personally I love the damned things..

Season them right and the steaks and burgers are fantastic.

But as a back seat passenger?

NOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPE!
Based on what you quoted, I am not sure if you were talking about the Bison calf or the morons.   =)

KD5NRH

• friends
Probably very, very sick then.

Moderate hypothermia or hypoglycemia from simple lack of food would cause that, and both are pretty easy to fix.