Author Topic: Yellowstone Tourist Put Bison Calf in Car Because They’re Worried It’s Cold  (Read 7702 times)

MechAg94

• friend
http://www.eastidahonews.com/2016/05/park-service-bison-calf-dead-after-tourists-put-it-in-vehicle/

In this case, park rangers tried repeatedly to reunite the newborn bison calf with the herd. These efforts failed. The bison calf was later euthanized because it was abandoned and causing a dangerous situation by continually approaching people and cars along the roadway.
This article was linked in the update above.  It seems to imply the calf was rejected after Rangers tried to return it to the herd.  

If it was in fact a new born calf, it would be pretty docile.  I am curious where the mother was when these tourists grabbed. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
http://www.eastidahonews.com/2016/05/park-service-bison-calf-dead-after-tourists-put-it-in-vehicle/
This article was linked in the update above.  It seems to imply the calf was rejected after Rangers tried to return it to the herd.  

If it was in fact a new born calf, it would be pretty docile.  I am curious where the mother was when these tourists grabbed. 

The mother could have been injured or dead as well.

and if bison have any similarities to goats (and I know I could be wayyyyy off here), she could have been young and this was a first calf. The goats get kind of screwed up all the time with their first kids. Sometimes they reunite, sometimes they don't, but the kid is removed from the pasture, they definitely don't.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

sumpnz

• friend
Considering the price of a bison, I'm sure someone would have been willing to come pick it up for free.

Not that hard to isolate it in a pen for a bit and see.  I mean, it let itself be loaded into an SUV, so it can't be that flighty.

Article I saw said they'd have to quarantine the calf for "months" before it could be moved to anywhere outside the park and that there are no suitable facilities for that.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Bison aren't rare or endangered, so why bother to spend the money to save the calf? 

The tourons did the wrong thing, the Rangers did the right thing.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Bison aren't rare or endangered, so why bother to spend the money to save the calf?

Dogs aren't rare or endangered, and many won't even grow up into food, so why do people spend money to save them?

MechAg94

• friend
Dogs aren't rare or endangered, and many won't even grow up into food, so why do people spend money to save them?
How much taxpayer money should we spend? 

Allowing a private party to do so would be reasonable to me.  I don't know if the park rules allow that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
Allowing a private party to do so would be reasonable to me.  I don't know if the park rules allow that.

Likely not; we can't allow people to think anyone but the government can do things like that.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Well, yes. Spending money on a domesticated animal where one would not on a wild one is pretty established and standard.

When can we expect your plans for a automated rehabilitation and feeding pen cobbled together from spare parts you found out back of the local dump? Should go horribly wrong, catch fire, and roast the poor beast just in time for supper.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
Well, yes. Spending money on a domesticated animal where one would not on a wild one is pretty established and standard.

When can we expect your plans for a automated rehabilitation and feeding pen cobbled together from spare parts you found out back of the local dump? Should go horribly wrong, catch fire, and roast the poor beast just in time for supper.

My cars rarely caught fire.

Well, most of them.  There was that Dodge...

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
My cars rarely caught fire.

Well, most of them.  There was that Dodge...
They catch fire a whole lot better when they aren't broken down and parked.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
They catch fire a whole lot better when they aren't broken down and parked.

Actually, that's precisely when the Dodge liked to catch fire.

Come to think of it, though, that was also the last car I bought from an established dealer.

mtnbkr

• friend
Come to think of it, though, that was also the last car I bought from an established dealer.

Maybe you just suck at selecting cars.  I've never had a car leave me stranded or catch fire.  I currently own three vehicles, all paid off, ranging in age from 3yrs to 19yrs in age (owned them for 3, 6, and 14 years).   I'd hop in any of the three for a long trip.

But I'm just a sucker who pays more than $500 for a car.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Maybe you just suck at selecting cars.  I've never had a car leave me stranded or catch fire.  I currently own three vehicles, all paid off, ranging in age from 3yrs to 19yrs in age (owned them for 3, 6, and 14 years).   I'd hop in any of the three for a long trip.

Chris

So you can afford newer (as in 3-6 years old) cars than some people. And you have an older car that runs. I'm not sure what that's supposed to tell us.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends

The Dodge was close to $4k.  Only car fire that comes to mind since then was the squirrel nest in the blower of the Pontiac.  Not really the car's fault there.

mtnbkr

• friend

So you can afford newer (as in 3-6 years old) cars than some people. And you have an older car that runs. I'm not sure what that's supposed to tell us.

I was just replying to KD's persistent meme that newer cars (or any car that requires a payment) fail.  And the 2nd car is 9yrs old, not 6.  we've owned it for 6.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I was just replying to KD's persistent meme that newer cars (or any car that requires a payment) fail.  And the 2nd car is 9yrs old, not 6.  we've owned it for 6.

Chris

Oh, I guess I missed all of that. I've only ever heard him talk about driving cheap, used cars.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
I don't have an issue with people spending money on dogs and cats since that is typically their own money and their choice. 

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
As someone who's been around bottle fed stock and large animals...

I don't blame them for putting it down. Once you do that, you're stuck with it for the rest of it's life and the world only needs so many tame bison.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
With any luck the tourons will find a cold rattlesnake, or badger or something.  Might look like the local news story about the 3 (adult male) hunters in the cab of a Ford Ranger(little too close for me). They were just sitting there bonding when the bobcat hopped in the open window to investigate. Hilarity ensued I am sure. Except for the bobcat who expired from a close range gunshot wound. Poor kitty.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

sumpnz

• friend
With any luck the tourons will find a cold rattlesnake, or badger or something.  Might look like the local news story about the 3 (adult male) hunters in the cab of a Ford Ranger(little too close for me). They were just sitting there bonding when the bobcat hopped in the open window to investigate. Hilarity ensued I am sure. Except for the bobcat who expired from a close range gunshot wound. Poor kitty.

Linky??

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.

Maybe the tourists can put honeybadger in their SUV and see how well that works out........ >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MechAg94

• friend
Not a cold rattlesnake.  Maybe they can visit Death Valley and find a sidewinder that is too hot. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Based on what you quoted, I am not sure if you were talking about the Bison calf or the morons.   =)

Depends on how hungry I am...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
As someone who's been around bottle fed stock and large animals...

I don't blame them for putting it down. Once you do that, you're stuck with it for the rest of it's life and the world only needs so many tame bison.

Nah...the world just needs a bigger crock pot.

Though I will say there's no better guard animal than a brahma bull who thinks he's a lap dog.  Unfortunately, there's no worse lap dog, either.  I'm just glad he didn't turn into a leghound.