Author Topic: Trump's SC Nominee Choices  (Read 2848 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Trump's SC Nominee Choices
« on: May 18, 2016, 04:20:55 PM »
These are the people Trump says he would consider for the Supreme Court. For informational purposes only. I have no opinion as of yet as I know nothing about any of them:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/05/18/trump-unveils-list-11-potential-supreme-court-justices.html?intcmp=hpbt4
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Trump's SC Nominee Choices
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 10:04:47 PM »
CATO Institute approves:

Donald Trump’s Terrific List of Fabulous Judges
http://www.cato.org/blog/donald-trumps-terrific-list-fabulous-judges
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 07:55:20 AM »
Diane Sykes would be to the right of everyone on the court in the constructionist sens, with the possible exception of Thomas. I would definitely approve that choice.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 11:04:58 AM »
I heard good things about the guy from Texas also, but I don't know anything about it.  I hope this is actually who he would consider and not just more salesmanship to get the Republican base on board. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 09:30:09 PM »
I hope this is actually who he would consider and not just more salesmanship to get the Republican base on board. 
Either way it is a brilliant tactic. The perfect carrot to dangle to the folks who don't buy his recent "conversion".

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 10:23:02 PM »
Yeah... if it's marketing, its great marketing.

Has ME thinking... "If he sticks to it..."

Not sure that I trust him to do so, but there're some good names on that list.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 11:14:06 PM »
Either way it is a brilliant tactic. The perfect carrot to dangle to the folks who don't buy his recent "conversion".

I've actually heard it from both sides. Brilliant tactic for bringing in people that had (have) doubts about his conservative/constitutional creds, but might hurt him with the "anybody but Hillary" Dem and uncommitted voters, especially the berners.

As I've read things about the choices, I like them. Especially that they're all relatively young and would be there for a while. Of course a President Trump getting them vetted by not just Dems but by disgruntled GOPe will be some work.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 11:48:28 PM »

I don't see how it differs from other things he's said and done on the campaign trail. He says he'll nominate good justices, just like he says he'll govern from the right. This doesn't guarantee he'll do what he says, does it? Not that I want to get into that argument again. I just don't see how this would reassure people that doubt him on everything else.

Also, this headline cracks me up:
http://www.thewrap.com/donald-trump-releases-list-of-11-potential-supreme-court-justice-nominees/

I heard on the local all-Trump-all-the-time-Trump-is-life radio show this morning that a number of those on Trump's list were trolling or revenge picks. I wish I could find the article. Supposedly, one of them is an ex-wife of someone who dissed the Donald. Another one was a guy that tweeted something like "Imagine who this Trump clown might put on the Supreme Court."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 01:40:32 AM »
I don't see how it differs from other things he's said and done on the campaign trail. He says he'll nominate good justices, just like he says he'll govern from the right. This doesn't guarantee he'll do what he says, does it? Not that I want to get into that argument again. I just don't see how this would reassure people that doubt him on everything else.
Maybe it is no different than other campaign promises, but it strikes me as more impactful than his usual vague assurances and pandering.  It isn't so much "he could nominate less sucky justices" as it is "here is his list, and maybe my favorite will get picked."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Trump's SC Nominee Choices
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 07:52:14 AM »

He rolled back some of them less than 24 hours after typical Trump

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 09:09:36 AM »
Maybe it is no different than other campaign promises, but it strikes me as more impactful than his usual vague assurances and pandering.  It isn't so much "he could nominate less sucky justices" as it is "here is his list, and maybe my favorite will get picked."

OK, I guess I can see that.

And just because someone ought to say it: Make the Supreme Court great again!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:12:46 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 10:55:43 AM »

Gun rights and SC nominees are two of the biggest reasons to make sure Hilary does not win.  It is great marketing and encourages us to give him a chance and vote for him even if we don't like him or fully trust him.  It also encourages me that he will not go full liberal after getting the nomination. 

I voted for McCain and Romney for similar reasons.  I think I can vote for Trump also. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge