Author Topic: Muslims Seek Prayer Room at Airport - I think this is a GREAT idea  (Read 1147 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
While I have no objection to anyone praying in public view, I'm also aware that with 9/11 type circumstances on most traveler's minds, obvious Muslim actions are a stereotype that's not going to go away in the near future (I doubt however that a person who is genuinely planning to attack an airplane is going to be as obvious as the guys cited in this instance were [I don't even discard the notion that in the cited instance the behavior of the participants was deliberately provocative for political gain]).

My only qualifier for thinking that this is a great idea, is that the area/place set aside should allow ALL people who wish to observe religious (Or a-religious for that matter, nursing mothers as an example) practice out of view of the general public, entrance...

OR

The place set aside should be paid for by the people using it...this wouldn't neccesarily need to be a "you pay to enter" scheme, but simply a matter of the airport working it so that the space pays for itself...regardless of the religion, I would imagine that the space next to a space designated for Muslim (Christian, Jewish, Bhuddist, B'Hai) prayers would really be a lot more valuable to a vendor selling religious items to people of a particular faith.

Muslims Seek Prayer Room at Airport

MINNEAPOLIS   
Airport officials said Friday they will consider setting aside a private area for prayer and meditation at the request of imams concerned about the removal of six Muslim clerics from a US Airways flight last week.
Steve Wareham, director of Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, said other airports have "meditation rooms" used for prayers or by passengers who simply need quiet time.

group of Somali clerics met with airport officials Friday and said they would attract less attention if they had a private area for prayer. Devout Muslims pray five times daily, facing the holy city of Mecca.

"When we pray, we don't want a problem. We don't want what happened last week," said Abdulrehman Hersi, an imam at Darul-Quba mosque in Minneapolis, referring to six clerics who were barred from a US Airways flight in Minneapolis after drawing the concern of some passengers.

Airports in Nashville, Tenn.; Columbus, Ohio; and Fort Lauderdale, Fla., all advertise meditation rooms. Fort Lauderdale's is billed as "For travelers seeking a quiet time." All note they are nonsectarian.

The imams at the airport Friday drew a few stares as they laid down their prayer rugs and knelt on the hard rubber floor at the airport.

The clerics requested a meeting after both the US Airways incident and a recent flap over Muslim cabdrivers who didn't want to pick up passengers carrying alcohol.

"We are users of the airport, too, and we don't want to get into a situation where Muslims feel we are being marginalized at the airport," said Omar Jamal, executive director of the Somali Justice Advocacy Center in St. Paul and the meeting's organizer.

Airport officials will accept the group's invitation to visit a mosque, airport spokesman Pat Hogan said.

"I think there's a mutual recognition that it would be helpful for there to be a solid understanding," Hogan said.

group of Somali clerics met with airport officials Friday and said they would attract less attention if they had a private area for prayer. Devout Muslims pray five times daily, facing the holy city of Mecca.

"When we pray, we don't want a problem. We don't want what happened last week," said Abdulrehman Hersi, an imam at Darul-Quba mosque in Minneapolis, referring to six clerics who were barred from a US Airways flight in Minneapolis after drawing the concern of some passengers.

Airports in Nashville, Tenn.; Columbus, Ohio; and Fort Lauderdale, Fla., all advertise meditation rooms. Fort Lauderdale's is billed as "For travelers seeking a quiet time." All note they are nonsectarian.

The imams at the airport Friday drew a few stares as they laid down their prayer rugs and knelt on the hard rubber floor at the airport.

The clerics requested a meeting after both the US Airways incident and a recent flap over Muslim cabdrivers who didn't want to pick up passengers carrying alcohol.

"We are users of the airport, too, and we don't want to get into a situation where Muslims feel we are being marginalized at the airport," said Omar Jamal, executive director of the Somali Justice Advocacy Center in St. Paul and the meeting's organizer.

Airport officials will accept the group's invitation to visit a mosque, airport spokesman Pat Hogan said.

"I think there's a mutual recognition that it would be helpful for there to be a solid understanding," Hogan said.

A group of Somali clerics met with airport officials Friday and said they would attract less attention if they had a private area for prayer. Devout Muslims pray five times daily, facing the holy city of Mecca.

I note that political correctness is usually wrong, but there are instances where political corectness is just  common sense and good manners. I lay this dichotomy at the feet of the "Even a blind pig finds a truffle sometimes" adage/

Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Antibubba

• friend
Re: Muslims Seek Prayer Room at Airport - I think this is a GREAT idea
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 10:53:42 AM »
I lay this dichotomy at the feet of the "Even a blind pig finds a truffle sometimes" adage

Why do I get the feeling our Muslim brothers might not appreciate the analogy? grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 04:51:57 PM »
I lay this dichotomy at the feet of the "Even a blind pig finds a truffle sometimes" adage

Why do I get the feeling our Muslim brothers might not appreciate the analogy? grin

HA! That wasn't even deliberate Cheesy
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 05:44:45 PM »
What happens if Jews and Muslims want to pray at the same time? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 06:44:10 PM »
What happens if Jews and Muslims want to pray at the same time? 

I don't know how Jews and Muslims feel about praying in vicinity of each other. I know my G-d is self-confident enough to accept my prayers even if they come from the same room as someone of a different faith who is praying at the same time I am.

Considering the religious dichotomy in Jerusalem right now, I have to believe that there are at least some Muslims, Jews and Christians who feel that their prayers are not wasted even if done in the presence of people who don't share their faith.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 09:49:53 AM »
It was just a little joke.  I doubt there would be much issue. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge