Author Topic: Katie Couric and Honesty on Guns  (Read 17256 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 03:41:07 PM by Angel Eyes »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Katie Couric and Honesty on Guns
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 01:57:40 PM »
Just checked her FB page. Surprised it doesn't have little animated flames dancing on it. To say that folks are a little unhappy with her journalistics ethics would be akin to describing the Pacific ocean as "a little water".

Her PR staff is probably considering an en masse career change.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2016, 03:47:31 PM »
Katie's defense is that she didn't do the editing, that she doesn't know how to edit, and that she wishes she had studied journalism more rigorously. "I don't necessarily understand journalism. I'm in the process of trying to figure it out."

Yes, really. See Angel Eyes' last link.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2016, 03:49:47 AM »
Oh, and Wiki has "locked" her encyclopedia entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katie_Couric

This article is currently protected from editing until June 2, 2016.
 See the protection policy and protection log for more details. Please discuss any changes on the talk page; you may submit an edit request to ask an administrator to make an edit if it is uncontroversial or supported by consensus. You may also request that this page be unprotected.

Interesting.

I wonder what they mean by "uncontroversial OR supported by consensus."

I can't wait 'til June 3rd.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2016, 10:49:16 AM »
supported by consensus."

Again with the consensus (not you Terry, "they"). I'm sick of stuff that is supposed to be supported by evidence and/or scientific rigor being given the hand-off to consensus. "97% of all scientists believe gravity makes apples fall up, so it's true". "A majority of input shows people like Katie Couric, so she didn't do anything wrong."

I realize calling Wiki an encyclopedia is really stretching things, but still, I'm sick of consensus and the idea that as long as you get enough people to agree on a thing, it becomes a fact. Physics, logic, and evidence to the contrary be damned.

And that's my Sunday morning rant. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2016, 11:18:41 AM »
^ I agree, and that's why I bolded and capped the "or."

The "consensus" of pro-2a folks is that she (and her director) are bald faced liars.  You don't just stick 8 or 9 seconds of "dead air" into a report unless you want it to mean something. 

So is that "consensus" going to show up in the wiki article on June 3rd??

(Well, "encyclopedia" was a handy descriptive term, is all.)

Rant on, Ben!  Good show !

Terry

ETA:
This kind of prevarication seems to be fairly prevalent, according to my searching around.  Example/sample from the New York Times:

But Mr. Zimmerman’s comments had been taken grossly out of context by NBC.

Read more:
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/nbc-fires-producer-of-misleading-zimmerman-tape/

Too bad the producer involved was not named.  I want names, dammit!

TAGS FOR SEARCH ENGINES TO FIND THIS THREAD:

Katie Couric
Epix
Stephanie Soechtig
Brian Williams
Journalism
Michael Moore
Yellow Journalism
New Journalism

(Edited to remove excessive line feeds.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 01:10:30 PM by 230RN »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2016, 03:00:31 PM »

(Well, "encyclopedia" was a handy descriptive term, is all.)

And it IS what they call themselves, even though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvZBg7qLzU8

=D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2016, 03:07:03 PM »
And it IS what they call themselves, even though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvZBg7qLzU8

=D

I wonder how he got YouTube to come out and film that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2016, 03:17:42 PM »
Of course the smarmy little Pollyanna voice is trying to tell me that either the usual suspects among the anti-gun crowd are either realizing we are not the threat they have tried to make us out to be or that we are that dangerous and they need to get their *expletive deleted*it together before the big purge.
[ar15]

=D
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2016, 02:31:02 AM »
Apparently Couric is feeling the heat.  A link to this story was on CNN's front page:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/30/media/katie-couric-under-the-gun-doc/index.html

There's still a lot of "it's not my fault" in her statement, but she is at least admitting that the edit should not have been made.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2016, 10:45:08 AM »
Apparently Couric is feeling the heat.  A link to this story was on CNN's front page:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/30/media/katie-couric-under-the-gun-doc/index.html

There's still a lot of "it's not my fault" in her statement, but she is at least admitting that the edit should not have been made.

And from the URL, the famous "apology" method that I feel is one of the biggest problems with modern society:

Soechtig added, "I never intended to make anyone look bad and I apologize if anyone felt that way."

How about be a responsible adult, stick a period after the word 'apologize", and be done with it. Cowboy up and drive on for God's sake.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2016, 04:04:26 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/05/31/katie-couric-takes-blame-for-misleading-pause-in-gun-documentary.html?intcmp=hpbt3

She is now taking blame.

Love this quote.....
Director Stephanie Soechtig told The Washington Post last week that the pause was so viewers could consider the question.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2016, 04:51:26 PM »

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2016, 05:35:32 PM »
Interesting.

I wonder what they mean by "uncontroversial OR supported by consensus."

I can't wait 'til June 3rd.

Okay, having gone through the edit logs, there was an 'edit war' taking place.

'Jbusch8899' seems to be the primary one putting the controversy in - complete with citations.

'Xenophrenic' seems to be using the rules to suppress the controversy - note, I haven't edited wikipedia articles in a long time, and he's using acronym cites, so I don't know how accurate his citations on the supposed rule violations are.  The first time he removed it, it was "rmv assertion of fact pending citation to WP:RS; rmv unnecessary header" - which seems odd since the citations were there.  The second was "rvt BLP violation; take your proposal to Talk, please"
BLP seems to be a reference to "Biography of living persons", which is quite the page.  Still, at the top of the list: Neutral point of view, verifiable, and no 'original research'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Biographies_of_living_persons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Identifying_reliable_sources - he's saying they aren't reliable. CNN and such aren't?

While I'm going to say that the level of rule enforcement is going to vary on a huge site like wikipedia, especially when it's worked by volunteers, I will state that there's a lot less verifiable information left on various pages, with lousier citations.  As such, it looks like Xeno is trying to suppress the information.

Perhaps the answer is to create a wiki page specifically for 'under the gun', where the controversy can be expanded upon.

Especially given wiki's policy on BLP: "Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2016, 06:36:05 PM »
Okay, having gone through the edit logs, there was an 'edit war' taking place.

'Jbusch8899' seems to be the primary one putting the controversy in - complete with citations.

'Xenophrenic' seems to be using the rules to suppress the controversy - note, I haven't edited wikipedia articles in a long time, and he's using acronym cites, so I don't know how accurate his citations on the supposed rule violations are.  The first time he removed it, it was "rmv assertion of fact pending citation to WP:RS; rmv unnecessary header" - which seems odd since the citations were there.  The second was "rvt BLP violation; take your proposal to Talk, please"
BLP seems to be a reference to "Biography of living persons", which is quite the page.  Still, at the top of the list: Neutral point of view, verifiable, and no 'original research'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Biographies_of_living_persons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Identifying_reliable_sources - he's saying they aren't reliable. CNN and such aren't?

While I'm going to say that the level of rule enforcement is going to vary on a huge site like wikipedia, especially when it's worked by volunteers, I will state that there's a lot less verifiable information left on various pages, with lousier citations.  As such, it looks like Xeno is trying to suppress the information.

Perhaps the answer is to create a wiki page specifically for 'under the gun', where the controversy can be expanded upon.

Especially given wiki's policy on BLP: "Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous."

Sounds like they need to just have a link at the bottom and call it "unverified or controversial information". 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2016, 06:57:47 PM »
Those apologies [citation needed] seem similar to a cat [citation needed] scratching [citation needed] in a litter box [citation needed] to cover its poop. [citation needed]

Terry [citation needed],  230RN [citation needed]

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2016, 07:25:31 PM »
Those apologies [citation needed] seem similar to a cat [citation needed] scratching [citation needed] in a litter box [citation needed] to cover its poop. [citation needed]

Terry [citation needed],  230RN [citation needed]

If it was my cat, it would have been lectured and yelled at for failing to cover his poop to begin with and stinking up the house.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2016, 08:02:02 PM »
Your cat speaks English? Mine pretends not to, but he is perfectly fluent in Jerkwad.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2016, 08:08:36 PM »
Your cat speaks English? Mine pretends not to, but he is perfectly fluent in Jerkwad.

My cats are all multilingual. Their understanding of English only gets "spotty" when I'm not saying nice things to them.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2016, 09:42:50 PM »

Angel Eyes

• friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2016, 09:59:03 PM »
http://www.ammoland.com/2016/05/katie-couric-apologizes-with-second-misleading-edit-doubling-down/#axzz4AHu9H3P3

I swear this woman is just asking for it at this point.

Does she really believe we're that stupid?   Yes, apparently she does.

(ETA:  an online petition to fire Couric:  https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/42714-fire-katie-couric)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 01:51:00 AM by Angel Eyes »

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2016, 12:09:19 PM »
Reply on the Ammoland link which rang my bell:

•  2nd Amender says:

June 1, 2016 at 7:27 AM  

Aren’t we all tired of the attacks on our Constitutionally Guaranteed Rights And Freedoms by these highly paid “mouths” with well known faces attached!

There are no “so called liberals”! These actors and politicians who have infiltrated our main stream culture by any means possible are Communists. Prior to the 60’s, when this anti-American Movement took hold on college campuses, these traitorous scum would be hiding in dark unnamed places.

Time to take the gloves off and call “a spade a spade”. These creeps hide under their own mandated political correctness. They have warped the minds of too many of our kids with cartoons and subliminal messages of false hope in being a minion instead of a free thinking individual.

Read more: http://www.ammoland.com/2016/05/katie-couric-apologizes-with-second-misleading-edit-doubling-down/#ixzz4ALLQrMMm
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

There are a few of us who have been brave enough to point this out here and there over the decades, myself included.  Yet we are often likened to McCarthy, who saw Commies under every leaf and rock.

Well, guess what?

They are out from under their leaves and rocks nowadays, coming out under the protection of the "Hey, that smacks of McCarthyism" accusation.  Well, while that term implies unjustified accusations, it's time to maybe re-think just how "unjustified" it really was in every case.

Yes, McCarthy went too far in a lot of ways, which is too bad, because it made "Commie hunting" itself look shameful. This played right into the hands of the Communists.

Maybe it's time we took another look at who's a communist and who isn't.

There.  I said it and I ain't takin' it back.

Terry, 230RN

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2016, 12:15:42 PM »
25 years ago nothing would have come of this.  A lot fewer people trust the media these days. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2016, 06:48:09 PM »
25 years ago nothing would have come of this.  A lot fewer people trust the media these days. 
25 years ago the networks had a virtual monopoly on the dissemination of information.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2016, 07:06:07 PM »
25 years ago the networks had a virtual monopoly on the dissemination of DISinformation.

FTFY
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams