Author Topic: CMP Garand - Any gotchas?  (Read 800 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
CMP Garand - Any gotchas?
« on: December 02, 2006, 07:53:58 AM »
I've almost got enough pennies saved up for a CMP Garand. I meet all the requirements (according to the ones published on the CMP website. Are there any "gotcha's" I need to be aware of, or any special tricks that would help expedite things?

Thanks in advance!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: CMP Garand - Any gotchas?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 08:49:28 AM »
Any "gotchas"??  Nope.

If you live anywhere within a day's drive from the CMP store in Ohio then it's worth your while to go there and pick out your rifle.  Other than that, it's an easy, painless process.  Enjoy!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 11:15:52 AM »
One gotcha:  eventually, the CMP will run-out of rifles to sell.  Buy one while you can.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 11:24:27 AM »
It won't be too long (30-45 days). The field grade stuff - the $425 option - is listed as "fair to good" condition. What do they consider "fair to good"?

Also, there is a listing for some rifles that were loaned to Greece. Are these particular guns in better/worse condition than the non-loan guns?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 01:04:05 PM »
I think the CMP website tells you what condition fair to good represents.  Such as dings and scrathes on the stock and certain levels of throat erosion, rifling erosion, and muzzle wear.

For more info, go check out www.surplusrifle.com.

edited: should be surplusrifle.com, not rifles.  Looks like you'd better hurry there, too.  They are shutting down at the end of March 2007.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 02:48:16 PM »
I don't know that the Greek rifles are any better or worse.  It is mixed.  I have a service grade Greek.  I also went to the CMP South store in Anniston, AL in October and picked out a Greek field grade with almost a brand new barrel.  It had a bent front sight wing, but I had a spare gas cylinder at home so that is already fixed.  Sometimes they will allow more barrel wear on field grades if the wood and metal are in good shape and sometimes barrel wear is forgiven if other areas are excellent.  It all depends. 

If you can take a trip to either the CMP North or South store.  It is fun and you get to use the tools to pick out the best rifle you can.  Other than that, you can request WWII numbers and stuff that like that if you want specific serial numbers.  The rifles on the rack were mixed.  Many WWII numbers and many post WWII production.  CMP also has some of the cheapest ammo options you are going to find.

One other option is to get a rack grade and plan on buying a new barrel and new stock.  That will get you a good looking gun and a good shooter but will cost more. 

Also, plan on getting new op rod springs and maybe the extractor spring and latch pin spring.  I got the new stainless op rod spring in mine.  Neither of my Garands were 100% reliable until I put in the new op rod spring.  Sarcoinc.com sells parts.  There are others.

CMP has a page on the proper cleaning and use of grease and oil on the gun.  I suggest reading up on this.  Garands use grease in key locations, not just oil.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 05:27:36 PM »
READ the descriptions . . . a few years back, it wasn't unusual to get a rifle that was in better condition than written at the CMP site . . . sometime, much better.

From my limited personal experience, and that of a few friends, today you're much more likely to get a rifle that meets, rather than surpasses, the written descriptions.

If you're only getting one rifle, try to get a Service Grade, if they're still available.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 06:02:43 PM »
I do agree with Hank.  If you are going mail order, get the best rifle you can.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 09:59:10 PM »
Order a new oprod spring right away, change it out before you even shoot the rifle for the first time.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 10:23:38 AM »
Isn't there a rumor going around that CMP will be getting some Service Grade rifles in as soon as they sort through their latest batch? I thought I read something like that on a gun forum somewhere.
Andy