Author Topic: Most disturbing movies?  (Read 11553 times)

Silver Bullet

• friend
Re: Most disturbing movies?
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2006, 05:19:09 AM »
Deer Hunter.  The Russian Roulette sequences were horrifying.

Novocaine (the scene where Steve Martin pulls his own teeth).

The Prestige.  Maybe still playing at the cinema.

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2006, 07:07:01 AM »
I remember another one from way back. Disturbing for a kid anyways. It was this old SciFi job where a flying saucer landed out back in the fields and glowed for a while and somehow it was discovered that the Martians were using some kind of ray gun to melt through the ground and were tunneling everywhere. We beat them in the end though. Anybody recall the name of that one?
Invaders from Mars? If so, there were two versions. One was B&W and from the 50s or 60s the other was in color from the 80s.

I think the most disturbing to me was Monster Squad. You think it is a movie for kids due to the fact the main characters are kids but when you see arms and stuff being ripped off and LEOs being killed left and right it puts you off a little.

I will also include "Twin Peaks-Fire, walk with me". The movie is just way to out there and WTF-ish to be watched.

Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2006, 03:44:20 PM »

Heh, I watch plenty of horror movies.  No problem, I find them amusing, or completely ruin them by debating with my friends what doctrine is best for dealing with zombies/vampires/ghosts/etc.

However, Silent Hill bothered me.  I can't exactly articulate why, but it bothered me. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2006, 03:48:02 PM »
I love surreal stuff like 'Pi'

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2006, 04:53:23 PM »
se7en was a boring predictable waste of money.
 Not scary or disturbing.
the Paltrow character would tell her husbands partner before telling her husband
that she is pregnant?...

Now on with disturbing films which to me does not mean gore stuff.

my long misspent youth is finally paying off (I was a 35 year old teen)

Baxter A smart misanthropic dog kills the sweet little old lady, goes to new owner who have a baby
"a hairless useless creature" and almost kills the kid then gets adopted by a young nazi wannabe and is finally happy.
One scene the dog (a spuds mckenzie type of pit) just sits still while a toddler sticks her finger in the dogs eye...I winced.

Felicia's Journey A nice innocent Irish girl meets sick twisted British serial killer.
I give it thumbs up for really disturbing

Heavenly Creatures The true story of two teenage girls whose obsessive imaginary world led them to plot and carry out a grisly murder in 1952 New Zealand.
(they are both out of jail now btw)

Bad Boy Bubby
a great,funny ,disturbed movie (which hollywood tried to replicate but couldn't it's an aussie film)
A guy is kept in his apt for 35 years by his mother with no contact with the outside world.
Who would have thought incest and murder and dead cats and plastic wrap could be so much fun?

In the Realm of the Senses I've seen this movie a bunch of times, every young man needs to see this Japanese film.

Well thats enough for now ...I will try to educate all of you as soon as I can remember more better rolleyes rolleyes shocked grin
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2006, 06:13:24 PM »
Heavenly Creatures is great.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2006, 11:28:18 PM »
I will also include "Twin Peaks-Fire, walk with me". The movie is just way to out there and WTF-ish to be watched.

I agree. I rented the movie without ever having watched the TV show and it totally ticked me off. It didn't make any sense and I hated how they set up scenes where someone you thought would be a major character appeared once, said a line or two, and then you'd never see them again.
I just watched The Grey Zone and found it disturbing. Then again, it is a Holocaust movie.
An older movie I found disturbing and creepy but really liked was the original Assault on Precinct 13.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2006, 04:31:28 AM »
I forgot The Gauntlet, Mother Juggs and Speed, and Vanishing Point...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2006, 06:15:04 AM »
Schindler's List. I've never been able to set through that movie.

And, I have tried.

I read a book about altruism and human behavior just before that movie came out.
After reading this book the movie really has an impact on me.

I find it very distrubing that humans can be capable of such evil.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2006, 06:39:01 AM »
Just remembered another one, "The Good Son", with Macauley Culkin and Elijah Wood. Quite disturbing.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2006, 12:09:09 PM »
Fistful, I was just making funny reference to you being back to fistful. Or trying to make one anyways. I guess you had to be there.  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2006, 07:41:20 PM »
Schindler's List was disturbing, but in a different way.
It was inspirational, in that I came away with huge respect for Spielberg and his Shoah(sp?) project, documenting the survivor's stories as fast as humanly possible in order not to lose any/many of the remaining (and rapidly dwindling) survivor stories.  Disturbing in the up close look at the whole horror.

Shifting gears, one I must add:
Brokeback Mountain.

Sitting around with nothing to do one afternoon last week, channel surfing and it was coming on...I really liked Heath Ledger in 'Roar' and 'A Knight's Tale',
so, I watched it... 
Big Mistake.
Such beautiful Wyoming scenery.
Not a bad musical score.
Such sick images framed by said scenery & music.

I apologize to any who are offended, but I have a hard time believing that the (Creator/the spaghetti monster/whoever you decide is your personal deity) is really cool with packing the fudge.  I feel the need to pluck my eyes out, or dash them with bleach, or something to remove those images forever from my recollection. (where's the puke smiley?) :puke:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2006, 08:14:16 PM »
richyoung: "The Gauntlet?" Are we talking about the same movie, the one with Clint Eastwood and Sandra Locke?

Hmmm.

"Schindler's List" doesn't upset me the way that "The Exorcist" or "A Clockwork Orange" do.

It upsets me in a much different way, one I can't describe. I never finish watching the movie without tears, and the same question that has nagged millions of people since the liberation of the death camps: why?

I've watched hundreds of documentaries about the slaughter and the absolute barbarism of those who ran them. I started reading about Hitler and the Nazi's when I was about thirteen or so and, 43 years later, I still don't understand.

"Schindler's List" isn't as graphic as the actual film footage from the death camps, nor does the movie depict some of the people responsible as the monsters that they truly were.

Perhaps that's why the movie is so successful. It puts a very human face on a very inhumane environment.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2006, 06:12:32 PM »
Is Sweeney Todd on film?  Never seen the play, but it sounds disturbing. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mfree

• friend
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2006, 10:20:07 AM »
The Tale of Sweeney Todd : http://imdb.com/title/tt0147582/

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2006, 10:40:34 AM »
richyoung: "The Gauntlet?" Are we talking about the same movie, the one with Clint Eastwood and Sandra Locke?

Yep.  The final delivery scene in the modified bus really struck me as an "irristable force vs. immovable object" conflict.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2006, 10:41:44 AM »
The ending of "Birds of Prey" got to me as well...

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2006, 11:05:55 AM »
'A Knight's Tale',

Now THAT'S a disturbing film!  A cheesy B grade medieval tale set to "We Will Rock You" and "Low Rider"??  Everyone associated with that project should be drawn and quartered. 

Along those lines, "Pearl Harbor" upset and disturbed me greatly.  It wasn't just a bad film, it was a personal insult to every American and to everyone who fought in WWII.  Michael Bay is fine with dippy action films, but giving him over 100 million to recreate WWII was a big mistake. 

An older movie I found disturbing and creepy but really liked was the original Assault on Precinct 13.

That's a real classic.  The scene where the bullets perforate the precinct house with little noise and no soundtrack is fantastic. 

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2006, 11:26:34 AM »
'A Knight's Tale',

Now THAT'S a disturbing film!  A cheesy B grade medieval tale set to "We Will Rock You" and "Low Rider"??  Everyone associated with that project should be drawn and quartered. 

Along those lines, "Pearl Harbor" upset and disturbed me greatly.  It wasn't just a bad film, it was a personal insult to every American and to everyone who fought in WWII.  Michael Bay is fine with dippy action films, but giving him over 100 million to recreate WWII was a big mistake. 

I like Knight's Tale, but the leading lady's hair, make-up and wardrobe were most disturbing. 

I've never seen Pearl Harbor, but I had a similar reaction to Saving Private Ryan.  The idea of sending a dozen guys on a suicide mission to save one soldier who may have already been dead?  Anyone who would make that decision should be drawn and quartered. 

chaim

• friend
    • http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw
« Reply #94 on: December 11, 2006, 06:08:40 PM »
Disturbing movies?

"The Others" with Nicole Kidman. 

"The Beguiled" with Clint Eastwood

"Unbreakable" with Samuel L. Jackson and Bruce Willis

"The Sixth Sense", with Bruce Willis.  So many of us have seen it so many times it has lost a lot of its shock value, but try to remember when you first saw it.
Come visit my MSN Group: Taurus Talk
http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw

« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2006, 08:08:32 PM »
I apologize to any who are offended, but I have a hard time believing that the (Creator/the spaghetti monster/whoever you decide is your personal deity) is really cool with packing the fudge.  I feel the need to pluck my eyes out, or dash them with bleach, or something to remove those images forever from my recollection. (where's the puke smiley?) :puke:

I have a hard time believing someone could be dense enough to watch that film and not expect to see homosexuality in a controversial film about... homosexuals. Sorry if I offended anyone.