Author Topic: Never buy a shovel from Lowe's  (Read 14763 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Never buy a shovel from Lowe's
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2016, 11:27:10 AM »
That tool costs more than your cars. 
Larry bemoans the cheap potmetal the average shovel is made from, and you tell him to buy a $650 tool.

Because people will throw a fit about how I'm trying to get him killed if I send him to weld up a new shovel out of half inch plate with old drill string for a handle.

Hell, people around here bitch about the push broom being heavy after they broke two handles and I used leftover conduit to make the third.  They haven't broken that one yet, though, and at 7', it works fine for me.

Sad, really; I'm the oldest one here by at least 4 years, my job is technically 90% desk, and I'm the only one who actually likes a ~8lb broom.  Pansies.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2016, 11:33:59 AM »
Grandpa Pigeon's

Venture
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2016, 11:34:35 AM »
Because people will throw a fit about how I'm trying to get him killed if I send him to weld up a new shovel out of half inch plate with old drill string for a handle.

Of course you would suggest something so inane. 

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2016, 12:21:16 PM »
Of course you would suggest something so inane.

If you're going to use a shovel as a prybar, you need one that may not be practical for scooping anymore.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2016, 04:40:49 PM »
Fiskars makes a beast of a shovel.  Steel shaft welded to a 14 gauge steel blade.  http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Long-Handle-Digging-Shovel/dp/B000B6Q6BA?
Interesting, I tend to break handles prying up tree roots. I might order that with my next amazon purchase. Rocky soils I use a Pulaski or pick axe when I hit frost shoved rocks.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2016, 04:50:35 PM »
Fiskars makes a beast of a shovel.  Steel shaft welded to a 14 gauge steel blade.  http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Long-Handle-Digging-Shovel/dp/B000B6Q6BA?

Hey look: a solution that doesn't involve a back yard "welding" project that's doomed to fail.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2016, 05:16:14 PM »
Hey look: a solution that doesn't involve a back yard "welding" project that's doomed to fail.

Weld it right, and it won't fail.

It may not do what you originally intended, but it will do something very well.

Can't find it at the moment, but one guy's attempt at a jig for building trusses ended up being the best doorstop I've ever seen.  His "what can I do to use up all these bits of C purlin" attempt is still the butt can out front over a year later.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2016, 05:19:39 PM »
Interesting, I tend to break handles prying up tree roots. I might order that with my next amazon purchase. Rocky soils I use a Pulaski or pick axe when I hit frost shoved rocks.

Using that Fiskers shovel and a spud bar I dug a new outhouse at the cabin in rocky, sandy, mountain soil.  Shitty job (heh).  Really though, hardest thing I've ever dug.  Never once got a clean scoop of dirt out, it was all prying out rocks.  Paint up the shovel and it would look new. 

Edit:  Price is down $4 from when I bought it 2 years ago on Amazon.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2016, 05:49:00 PM »
Weld it right, and it won't fail.

It may not do what you originally intended, but it will do something very well.

Can't find it at the moment, but one guy's attempt at a jig for building trusses ended up being the best doorstop I've ever seen.  His "what can I do to use up all these bits of C purlin" attempt is still the butt can out front over a year later.
not everyone knows how to weld or has access to a welder. Sometimes it's just cheaper to spend an extra $50 for the right instead of $100 running around looking for goods and services to half ass build something.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2016, 05:51:22 PM »
Doesn't Home Despot sell Fiskars? They sell Ridgid, in any case.

Maybe, if KD5 keeps giving bad advice, we could just say we disagree, and then move on. Otherwise, half our threads are going to keep consisting of KD5-bashing.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2016, 06:03:25 PM »
not everyone knows how to weld or has access to a welder. Sometimes it's just cheaper to spend an extra $50 for the right instead of $100 running around looking for goods and services to half ass build something.

Well, it's also cheaper to stay home rather than climb Everest, but adventures are learning opportunities.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2016, 06:39:19 PM »

Uranus is a gas giant.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2016, 07:14:04 PM »
Well, it's also cheaper to stay home rather than climb Everest, but adventures are learning opportunities.
I hit the powerball I will GLADLY finance you're exposition to Everest provided you check in consistently before you try out any bright ideas.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2016, 07:58:09 PM »
I hit the powerball I will GLADLY finance you're exposition to Everest provided you check in consistently before you try out any bright ideas.

Does that include enough Sherpas to carry a Lincoln Ranger 250 up there just in case I find a need for jack stands or an Irish banjo?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2016, 08:32:13 PM »
"Otherwise, half our threads are going to keep consisting of KD5-bashing."

I'm game!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Never buy a shovel from Lowe's
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
Does that include enough Sherpas to carry a Lincoln Ranger 250 up there just in case I find a need for jack stands or an Irish banjo?
Only if you take it to the top with some home cobbled together ski rims and ride it down on a live cam stream.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2016, 10:07:34 PM »
Only if you take it to the top with some home cobbled together ski rims and ride it down on a live cam stream.

You don't need the lottery for that,  it's made of kickstarter win.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.