Author Topic: Connectivity issue - need advice  (Read 669 times)

Lee

• friend
Connectivity issue - need advice
« on: December 03, 2006, 04:03:26 AM »
A few days ago I began experiencing internet issues.  I'm not sure if it's a provider problem, modem, or something related to my software or hardware.  Connecting to the net is hit or miss, and when connected, I get a lot of "ServerTimed Out" messages.  I can usually resolve those by reloading the page, but sometimes not.
I have two pc's (one is wireless) and both have the same issue.  The problem seems to occur mostly when I click on a hypertext link.  Everything may be working great (and really fast) for a short time and then it slows down to a crawl or stops completely.  I've rebooted nunerous times.  Hopefully this post will go through before I lose the link...I just never know.  Any ideas?

Preacherman

Re: Connectivity issue - need advice
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 04:26:01 AM »
Have you checked for adware/spyware/virii?  Ten will get you one you've got something hogging your Internet connection, communicating out through it without your knowledge.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 04:27:40 AM »
Yup, sounds like your computer has a cold...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 05:23:13 AM »
I've run Norton, Spyware Doctor, and Registry Mechanic.  All came back clean.  While I was able to reply here, I tried several other sites and couldn't connect...weird.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 05:39:34 AM »
Registry Mechanic
I have one anecdotal account of Registry Mechanic trashing a PCs registry, but never used it myself.

Run some spyware as others have suggested.  I also run Process Explorer and look for things running that normally are not.

During those times when you do have good access, generate a trace route from each machine to some destination on the web, like Google so you have a picture of what normal conditions look like.  When you start having problems, run that same trace route and compare the results. Where the trace route ends when you have problems is where I'd look for issues.

I see similar here on occasion, but only at certain sites.  But in my case its due to a clash between the code on the web page (usually some flash or java applet) and my choice of web brower (Opera).  Minor annoyance, so I just live with it.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 05:45:37 AM »
did you by any chance recently install IE7?

It is a major resource hog and by default goes to the Microsoft website for "phishing" info before actually going to the web site you want. Try turning of the phishing filter if you have IE7.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 08:08:50 AM »
A few days ago I began experiencing internet issues.  I'm not sure if it's a provider problem, modem, or something related to my software or hardware.  Connecting to the net is hit or miss, and when connected, I get a lot of "ServerTimed Out" messages.  I can usually resolve those by reloading the page, but sometimes not.
I have two pc's (one is wireless) and both have the same issue.  The problem seems to occur mostly when I click on a hypertext link.  Everything may be working great (and really fast) for a short time and then it slows down to a crawl or stops completely.  I've rebooted nunerous times.  Hopefully this post will go through before I lose the link...I just never know.  Any ideas?

Im experiencing the same thing lately, for no apparent reason, the connection to the net just stops.  I can ping my email account but not move page to page with a browser.  I normally use Firefox but also have Mozilla and IE, plus an IE clone; all four of them can be brought up and none will budge.  Then mysteriously it runs fine, sometimes.  I have tried re-booting to clear the problem; usually that works but not always.

I think its the first signs of dementia and indication of an incipient PC failure.  My wifes computer of identical age just smoked its motherboard; they are the same make, model, etc so Im looking at replacements.
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>

Lee

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 09:16:34 AM »
Thanks folks.  It looks like it is my Linksys wirless router...I just bypassed the router and the problem appears to be solved...'cept the router problem,arrrg... time to hunt down the manual.