Author Topic: A little help with spreading some truth  (Read 3883 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
A little help with spreading some truth
« on: June 17, 2016, 03:36:56 PM »
Guys, help me out here and critique the following letting me know what I missed, got wrong and should add/leave out please.

The range is hot.  [ar15]

(updated sections in Blue)
Any purchase of any firearm, other than “Class 3” arms – machine guns, true assault rifles, and “destructive devices” – can be consummated only after the buyer has passed an instant background check when the gun is purchased from a federally licensed dealer.  The system that accomplishes such checks is called the National Instant Check System, or NICS.  In practice, the buyer fills out an application, or form 4473, which can be accessed for your examination here:   https://www.atf.gov/firearms/applications-eform-4473

The sale of non-class 3 guns between non-dealers residing in the same state to a non-prohibited person is perfectly legal and requires no paperwork or background check however the seller assumes some responsibility not to knowingly sale to a prohibited person as that IS illegal and can result in jail time and fines for both parties although the individual states and counties may add additional restrictions such as waiting periods, background checks, registration, and even make you get a special card that allows you to buy ammo and own a gun! These additional restrictions are hotly debated as to their incursion on the Second Amendment and usually found in Democrat controlled areas.

To buy a Class 3 weapon, a true "assault weapon", requires an extensive Federal background check, a State background check, a Federal Tax stamp that MUST go EVERYWHERE with the weapon, some states require local Chief Law Enforcement Officer sign-off, special storage and special insurance before you are allowed to buy a fully automatic weapon. Full auto weapons are VERY expensive because the gun control act of 1986 made it illegal for anyone but Law enforcement or the military to buy them if they were made after 1986 so only those made before 86 and already in the US and registered can be sold or transferred making them hard to come by.

The term “assault weapon,” entered the American lexicon in the late 1980s, originated as a political ploy by gun control advocates. “Assault weapon” is not a technical term, a term of art used by firearms manufactures, or a military term.  The closest match in any of those categories is the term “assault rifle,” which is a military term referring to a medium-caliber, shoulder-fired rifle that allows the shooter to select between semiautomatic mode (the gun fires one bullet per pull of the trigger) and either fully automatic (the gun continues to fire bullet after bullet, as long as the trigger is depressed) or three-shot-burst mode (the gun fires three bullets per pull of the trigger).  Because "assault weapons," as defined by state and federal law, are semiautomatic only and can fire in neither fully automatic mode nor three-shot-burst mode, they are *not* assault rifles.

http://assaultweapontruth.com/ has much more on the “assault weapon” issue
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 07:32:48 PM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: A little help with spreading some truth
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 03:44:34 PM »
Might I inquire for whom you're writing this?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 03:59:46 PM »
Illinois requires that private sales undergo a background check and a waiting period.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 05:10:57 PM »
Speedy, see PMs.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 07:26:18 PM »
Might I inquire for whom you're writing this?

Id10t gun grabbers on the web screeching about crap they know nothing about to prove their misconceptions are way off base and to provide a base to start a rational discussion from.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 08:08:42 PM »
Id10t gun grabbers on the web screeching about crap they know nothing about to prove their misconceptions are way off base and to provide a base to start a rational discussion from.
Honestly it would easier to teach pigs to sing. No matter how eloquently you explain it, they are so closed minded.

You'd have more success talking about newbie shooting.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 11:21:31 PM »
If it is meant for non-gun people, that is way too technical or at least has too many gun terms.  Put it in a simple "See Spot run." format.  A handful of simple short bullet points that gets the basic point across.  Anything more and they either won't read it or won't understand it.  Just my 2 cents.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 11:33:10 AM »
MechAg94 is correct. There is no way to get all your ideas across to those who really don't want to hear you. Choose a hand full; keep it simple.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 01:57:13 PM »
As others have suggested, too much detail, and too "high diction" for general application.

I would suggest making a few bullet points (pun intended?) and then linking to sources with more detail. Just hit the high points. For example:

If gun control were about reducing shooting deaths, you'd go after handguns. They are used to kill many, many times more people.

ARs and AKs used in mass killings in the U.S. are almost never fully automatic. They work just the same as hunting rifles people have been using for the past hundred years, except they're less powerful, and don't have to be reloaded as often.

If "assault rifles" have no place in society, why do the police have them? (Link to examples of "assault rifles" used in self-defense)

If the 2A doesn't protect your right to military weapons, even full-auto ones, why does it mention the militia at all?

Stuff like that.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 02:46:05 PM »
Nobody is interested in facts or reason.  (look up the term "hate facts")

Quote from: fistful
If the 2A doesn't protect your right to military weapons, even full-auto ones, why does it mention the militia at all?
 Even the Supreme Court ceded that point, back in 1939.  The only reason Miller lost the case was he was dead, and nobody showed up on his behalf to argue that yes, short-barrel shotguns were used by the military.
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 03:05:55 PM »
"TL:DR"

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 05:58:34 PM »
I will break it down into bullet points and repost... later. I do things... slowly... these days.
MOLON LABE!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 08:28:12 PM »
When contemplating talking to committed dogmatic anti firearm people, look at my sig line.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 09:55:01 PM »
"TL:DR"

Truth.

And more or less the battle cry of our enemies .
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2016, 01:56:38 PM »
The committed gun nut (gun hater) won't be swayed. But if the conversation is public, consider those auditing.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 02:21:16 PM »
It is normally public when I post. I ain't afeard!  :old:
MOLON LABE!