Author Topic: Question and looking for suggestions  (Read 7764 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Question and looking for suggestions
« on: June 24, 2016, 01:30:03 PM »
From this August body

Have a kawasaki mule in fairly shallow water but under water in a lake. Weighs about 1400 pounds. How many truck inner tube do you think it will take to float it so I can tow it a couple hundred yards to boat ramp? 8)

Thankfully I am only responsible for recovery.  Was not the pilot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Question and looking for suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 01:34:22 PM »
Anyway to just get a tow line on it and yank it out.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 01:34:57 PM »
Water weighs around 62 pounds per cubic foot. 1400 divided by 62 tells us you need an air volume of 22.6 cubic feet to bring a 1400-pound lump to neutral buoyancy.

What size truck tubes?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 01:35:38 PM »

http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Buoyancy

Or you could start with 6 or so (big ones) and see what happens. Good luck.

bob

• friends
Re:
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 01:39:31 PM »
It should be an adventure.  It went in in a spot where yanking it out would be difficult
 Hard to get equipment in and near vertical bluff.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 01:40:50 PM »
Your using a boat to tow it to shore?  Can you place an engine hoist in the boat?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 01:41:59 PM »
How deep is it and how far away from shore? Not sure how you will get innertubes down to it. This is usually a lift bag job. Attach deflated bag(s), pump in air till it starts to lift. Lift bags will bleed air as pressure decreases with shallower water. Innertubes will not, and can turn stuff into missiles. Low pressure, high volume is what you want.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 01:47:04 PM »
^^^^^

That's where I was going next. It takes  a 4 cubic foot bag to lift 200 pounds (+/- a bit). Or an easy way is 100 liter bag will lift 100 Kg, but this is 'Merica and we don't do those metrics.  ;)

bob

eta: Do you think your local Fire Department or Search and Rescue would like a training opportunity? ;)

• friends
Re: Re: Question and looking for suggestions
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 06:47:12 PM »
How deep is it and how far away from shore? Not sure how you will get innertubes down to it. This is usually a lift bag job. Attach deflated bag(s), pump in air till it starts to lift. Lift bags will bleed air as pressure decreases with shallower water. Innertubes will not, and can turn stuff into missiles. Low pressure, high volume is what you want.
It's about 8 foot deep and I can attach tubes deflated. I can get a compressor hose to it and fill em then.
First i am gonna get it into one of these and attach tubes to bag
http://m.homedepot.com/p/WM-Bagster-Dumpster-in-a-Bag-775-658/202228840?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D28I-Cleaning%7c&gclid=CjwKEAjwtLO7BRDax4-I4_6G71USJAA6FjN1mJtXemT4Kov1F_OuQ41WcZeS-72DRrb6HS5DAg5nqBoCCU_w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Re: Question and looking for suggestions
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 07:55:17 PM »
It's about 8 foot deep and I can attach tubes deflated. I can get a compressor hose to it and fill em then.
First i am gonna get it into one of these and attach tubes to bag
http://m.homedepot.com/p/WM-Bagster-Dumpster-in-a-Bag-775-658/202228840?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D28I-Cleaning%7c&gclid=CjwKEAjwtLO7BRDax4-I4_6G71USJAA6FjN1mJtXemT4Kov1F_OuQ41WcZeS-72DRrb6HS5DAg5nqBoCCU_w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Okay, just be careful. You've got no real lift control with the innertubes.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 08:09:26 PM »
Can you get a winch and a block and tackle setup near enough to the site to pull it out that way?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 09:20:54 PM »
It's like a 65 degree slope maybe more. And it's verticals right near water I definitely could do that but I am likely to tear up more stuff that way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 10:42:29 PM »
Det cord.

Smaller pieces are easier to lift.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 11:00:12 PM »
CSD - I dug out my old dive manual from work and scanned the section on lift bag recovery. It might have a few tips for you, especially regarding rigging, staging, and breaking suction if you have to.

https://db.tt/R2UHL7F3
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:44:30 AM by Ben »

• friends
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 05:09:10 PM »
Thanks.  It was on its side in 15 feet. In my infinite wisdom i rolled it upright. It rolls real good underwater. It's now in 30 feet. Outside my ability to dive and have any reasonable bottom time to rig it. On one attempt I seriously overstayed my welcome while locating it's new resting place and communed with my higher power for a few seconds on way up. Sunlight looked real good. Copd and diving are a poor mix. Gonna get someone with tanks to it and hook it up. Was considering using some real heavy duty trash bags for lift. Turns out it's only a bit over 1000 pounds and with the existing tires it's surprisingly easy to move

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 05:15:30 PM »
Pft. You're supposed to fill it with ping pong balls.

Don't you watch mythbusters?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 05:28:20 PM »
Pft. You're supposed to fill it with ping pong balls.

Don't you watch mythbusters?

Someone once proposed filling the hull of the sunken liner R. M. S. Titanic with ping pong balls to raise it.....it ought to work on the OP's Kawasaki..... [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 05:54:32 PM »
If curb weight is 1000 pounds it weighs a lot less at 30 feet under water. Maybe half.
What I want most is the backstory of HOW it got there.
And video of the recovery.
Work at 30 feet is tank zone unless you are one hell of a lunger. I might consider some corner attachments with surface floats to help manage a lift. Keep in mind my dive experience was almost 40 years ago- the gas laws of chemistry and physics have probably been updated since then.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 06:30:55 PM »
Dude, please DO NOT use trash bags. You might get lucky, but more likely something will go wrong that puts you in a worse predicament at best, and threatens your safety at worst.

You are really at the point where you need real lift bags with proper mounting hardware for rigging. Also an experienced diver. I would help you out for a beer if I were closer. That kind of recovery is actually kinda fun to do. :laugh:

grampster

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 06:33:45 PM »
Why did you drive it in the water in the first place?  [popcorn] :P =D =D
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

• friends
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 06:36:00 PM »
Yea. Believe me that one dive today cured me. I have to line up a diver. Once it's rigged I have a big pontoon boat I rigged with 2 2000 pound winches. Gonna rig it four corners hoist it drive it to boat ramp hook a cable to a truck and pull it up ramp.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 06:39:41 PM »
Yea. Believe me that one dive today cured me. I have to line up a diver. Once it's rigged I have a big pontoon boat I rigged with 2 2000 pound winches. Gonna rig it four corners hoist it drive it to boat ramp hook a cable to a truck and pull it up ramp.

Okay, that sounds much safer. :)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 07:22:27 PM »
Where does the detcord come in?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 08:43:31 PM »

Suggestions? OK, have them try one of these next time they want to drive on the lake.

Hope that helps.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife