Author Topic: real life survival story?  (Read 14216 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: real life survival story?
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2006, 03:54:25 AM »
I heard he made it 8 miles. That's pretty amazing. He had a lot of determination.

Good point on the wait or go. I'd say if you know where you are, you know how to get where you're going and it's not overly far, you go. Otherwise stay. The decision has to be made immediately I'd say. Don't wait till your already half frozen and starved before you set out.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2006, 04:06:18 AM »
If you have water and shelter where you are, and if you're in an easy area for rescuers to locate you, then it's generally a stupid idea to leave. 

Yeah, it's impressive that he managed to travel 8 miles before succumbing.  It woulda been more impressive if he'd stayed put for a couple of days and survived. 

Ron

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2006, 04:26:20 AM »
8 miles in rugged country in the cold.

He was probably seriously dehydrated and didn't even know it. Not to mention no food = no calories to burn in the internal furnace.

Unfortunately we all (I hope) learn from his mistake.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2006, 04:37:04 AM »
Yea, we don't want to lose anybody around here. We're not done arguing with you yet.  smiley

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2006, 03:04:56 PM »
If you have water and shelter where you are, and if you're in an easy area for rescuers to locate you, then it's generally a stupid idea to leave. 

Yeah, it's impressive that he managed to travel 8 miles before succumbing.  It woulda been more impressive if he'd stayed put for a couple of days and survived. 

There were a couple of interesting comments today on the radio.  The autopsy indicated that he had been dead for two days before being found.  That would indicate he stayed with the car for four or five days.  I suppose they hoped for rescue and he went looking for help in desperation. 

He was supposedly found in line of sight of some sort of privately owned hunting lodge.  I wonder if he knew it was there and tried to get in?  I'll be curious to hear more detail on the lodge.
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>

280plus

• friend
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2006, 05:18:33 PM »
I'm still baffled actually. I just saw another film clip, this one was of the car where it sat. Looks like there was plenty of burnable brush and whatever all around it. Makes no sense to me.

Ron

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2006, 05:19:56 PM »
Wow, that is some bad bad country to be stuck in. This link shows the area and his path.

http://www.layoutscene.com/james-kim-path/index.html

Ron

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2006, 05:22:11 PM »
One of the pics from the above link.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2006, 05:42:07 PM »
He must have figured he could get back to town by following the rivers. 

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2006, 07:49:02 PM »
I saw a brief pic on the news of the stranded car, right in front of them was a big dead tree just waiting to be turned into fuel.
I bet if you used the car somehow to move the tree there would be plenty of disgusting crawling things
to roast and eat.
What is that green stuff that grows on the south side of trees? It probably doe not taste good but you can most likely eat it.
Are there birds of prey in the Oregon wilderness? why not steal a squirrel from a nearby  hawk?
A coyote or a fox is no match for a grown man, I'd take their food too.
there had to something around there, birds,bugs,squirrels,all those down trees are probably filled with bugs.

"A good rule is not to pass up any reasonable food sources if we are ever in need. There are many dead men who, through ignorance or fastidiousness did"
Bradford Angier, How To Stay Alive In The Woods
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2006, 06:24:08 PM »
It's astonishing the way some supposedly-intelligent people think.

I remarried a few years ago. My hobby is Jeeps and all my vehicles since 1988 have been either Jeep Cherokees or Jeep Comanche pickups. I made it a point to equip each vehicle with a small emergency tool kit, and some basic survival stuff, such as a wool blanket, a couple of "space" blankets, first aid kit, survival knife, etc. When I remarried, I turned the newest Cherokee over to my new wife and I kept on driving Old faithful. The first thing my wife did was to remove ALL the emergency and survival gear from the Jeep because it didn't look "neat."

Then we went to visit her family in South America. Picked up a used Kia Sportage to get around in down there. So we set off, in a USED vehicle of unknown condition, for an 1800 mile trip across a freakin' desert -- and she refused to let me pack a quart of oil or a gallon of water! Guess what used vehicle broke down in the freakin' desert before the end of the first day?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design