Author Topic: Car makers are dropping the spare tire.  (Read 12105 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Car makers are dropping the spare tire.
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2016, 01:46:46 PM »
Fuel efficiency requirements were blamed in one of those articles in the OP. Try to keep up, people. :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2016, 01:57:06 PM »
Said that back on page 1.  =D

Fuel efficiency requirements were blamed in one of those articles in the OP. Try to keep up, people. :P

Oh, PLEASE. You can't expect me to read the comments or the articles before I get involved in the discussion!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2016, 03:03:11 PM »
Oh, PLEASE. You can't expect me to read the comments or the articles before I get involved in the discussion!

Ah, No...carry on. :P
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2016, 04:21:10 PM »

You must be one of those clueless originalists. Read the book, morans!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2016, 04:39:48 PM »
Carrying plugs and a compressor is always a good idea, in my opinion. I bought a plug kit some years ago, and used it twice on my old Outback when I picked up nails in my community (reshingling houses, I think), and once when Castle Key picked up a screw in his one tire.

Castle Key has a car that runs on one tire?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2016, 05:56:33 PM »
Castle Key has a car that runs on one tire?

He is quite the unicyclist.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2016, 08:32:59 PM »
As a single data point, I was at the car dealership today and decided to do a quick survey. I went down a row of ten F-150s and took a peek underneath. They all had a full-sized spare. A mix of mostly XL's, a couple of XLTs, and a couple of Lariats. So cheap to expensive, they all had real spares.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2016, 08:50:48 PM »
As a single data point, I was at the car dealership today and decided to do a quick survey. I went down a row of ten F-150s and took a peek underneath. They all had a full-sized spare. A mix of mostly XL's, a couple of XLTs, and a couple of Lariats. So cheap to expensive, they all had real spares.

The usage mode for trucks is considered different than cars.  Also, the load profile can be quite different.  You can't really ask somebody to toss a doughnut onto a loaded truck that's out in the country towing a boat.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2016, 09:23:40 PM »
The usage mode for trucks is considered different than cars.  Also, the load profile can be quite different.  You can't really ask somebody to toss a doughnut onto a loaded truck that's out in the country towing a boat.

Well, except above we had several incidents of trucks/SUVs with no spares. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2016, 10:12:37 PM »

Yes, but remember that Ford is getting their weight savings from the aluminum body.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2016, 07:49:28 AM »
"Edit:  And..  I'm kind of a dumbass.  I was just mentally WTF'ing over what you would do if a front tire blew.  Obviously you could just put the donut on a back tire and move a back tire to the front.  Duh."

Yep.

And, I suspect that yes, any automatic all-wheel drive car is going to be the same.

My question, though, is what happens if you blow a tire on a manual transmission AWD? You can't easily disable the AWD on a manual. Or at least you couldn't on my two Outbacks, and I don't think either one had a full size spare.

TIL that it was even possible to disable my Forester's AWD.

Apparently there's a fuse that will cut power transmission to the rear wheels.  No physical disengagement of the powertrain, so it all still drags on the engine.

I tried changing a flat on that car once, a few years ago.  Pulled out without checking, ride felt REALLY strange, pulled over within a block or so and found my left-rear tire not quite completely flat.  With the stock lug wrench, I was COMPLETELY unable to loosen the lug nuts - they'd obviously been installed by The Incredible Hulk.  Made it home and was about to call for a tow to the shop when something told me to check the valve - and sure enough, something had wedged in there and induced a leak.  Cleared that, refilled using the compressor, and no problems.

I now have a sturdier lug wrench with a cheater bar, just in case.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2016, 09:45:23 AM »
And get a jack you like instead of stuck with some stupid jack (I can't remember which car it was, but I do know I've come across the worlds dumbest jack a few times)

Was it a scissor jack?

Those things are a pain in the butt.  You have to cope with the awkwardness of cranking them up to almost the height you need before you slide them under the car.  Then they tip over anyhow.  Curses!

On the Subaru tire size differential, that seems to be true, according to two tire stores I consulted... but they be motivated to say that anyhow.

The story is that the different rotation rate on the two tires messes up the fluid coupling on the AWD.

Same thing if you have a low tire pressure in one set of wheels.  Discount Tires gives a free tire pressure check which I get every month or so.  I'm not married to them, and I hate that commercial where the old broad throws a tire through their front window, but they sure have excellent customer service.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2016, 09:51:02 AM »
I generally like scissor jacks. Yeah, they're a bit of a pain to get started, but they're pretty effortless and the construction is very strong. I've never had problems with one tipping over.

The best use I ever found for a Subaru scissors jack, though, was helping rebuild the side porch at my Mom's house...

It was perfect for sitting on the step and holding up the corner post when I rebuilt the structure and deck.

I also used that jack to jack the bathroom sink back into position. It's a big cast iron wall hung sink with front legs, and over the years the back slipped in the clips and it was leaning backwards. Loosen the bolts, jack the back up (2x4 across to even the pressure) and rebolt it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2016, 09:58:07 AM »
Those things are a pain in the butt.  You have to cope with the awkwardness of cranking them up to almost the height you need before you slide them under the car. 

Had one that had been modified with a lug nut welded on where the little slot for the handle had been.  Combined with a 12V impact wrench, it was like doing a NASCAR tire change.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2016, 10:05:21 AM »
Had one that had been modified with a lug nut welded on where the little slot for the handle had been.  Combined with a 12V impact wrench, it was like doing a NASCAR tire change.

I've seen scissors jacks that come with that sort of arrangement from the factory. The jack handle doubles as the lug nut wrench (which is NOT a great arrangement, really, because it means that the wrench head is pivot mounted on the handle, which makes getting good torque a bit challenging).

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2016, 10:59:44 AM »
The scissors jacks often have a fairly wide base, compared to a bottle jack. So there's that. I've never had much trouble with them. You can flip over a bottle jack, too, if you're tightening the valve.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2016, 11:37:54 AM »
Pro-tip - if you put bigger tires on your rig..  make sure you have enough jack to still be able to change the tire.   The OEM bottle jack in the land cruiser is just short of being tall enough to work :facepalm:

Luckily I had a hi-lift jack for recovery purposes.  Now I have some more safety gear to go with said hi-lift to help prevent tipping.  Hate those things...

I also now have a compressor so if worse came to worse I could have partially deflated the spare to get it on, then reinflate.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2016, 12:29:20 PM »
I have a mini hydraulic floor jack in a plastic case so I don't have to deal with crappy factory jacks.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2016, 12:56:47 PM »
I have a mini hydraulic floor jack in a plastic case so I don't have to deal with crappy factory jacks.

I highly recommend a full size hydraulic jack for garage work.  I finally got one last year and it is much easier to use. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2016, 03:53:18 PM »

Not enough lift for my truck, sadly.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2016, 04:04:36 PM »
Was it a scissor jack?

Those things are a pain in the butt.  You have to cope with the awkwardness of cranking them up to almost the height you need before you slide them under the car.  Then they tip over anyhow.  Curses!

On the Subaru tire size differential, that seems to be true, according to two tire stores I consulted... but they be motivated to say that anyhow.

The story is that the different rotation rate on the two tires messes up the fluid coupling on the AWD.

Same thing if you have a low tire pressure in one set of wheels.  Discount Tires gives a free tire pressure check which I get every month or so.  I'm not married to them, and I hate that commercial where the old broad throws a tire through their front window, but they sure have excellent customer service.

Terry, 230RN

but flimsier and with the stupid notches that you have to line up with the notch on the frame of the car.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2016, 04:12:08 PM »
but flimsier and with the stupid notches that you have to line up with the notch on the frame of the car.

I'd count those as an upside. They help you line it up.

One thing I really like about the bottle jack I just bought is that the top of the ram screws out, and gives me another ~3" of adjustment.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2016, 04:29:56 PM »
Yes, but remember that Ford is getting their weight savings from the aluminum body.
Hey, that is a MILITARY GRADE aluminum body!  

Note the picture of the tank is supposed to make you forget that it is still aluminum.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge