Author Topic: Grill recipes- post the good ones here  (Read 5735 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Grill recipes- post the good ones here
« on: June 28, 2016, 09:22:52 AM »
Hey its summertime and the grills are hot.
I'll start with something a little more than your average backyard burger.
Lamb burgers
cumin, coriander, and black- pepper blended equal parts, about 3/4-1 teaspoon per pound
mix into ground lamb meat along with Worcestershire sauce to taste (about 1/2 tsp per pound)
mix well and form into 1/3 pound patties, allow to rest to room temperature before grilling.
Reverse sear to 130 then quickly hot sear to 145.
Remove from grill and cover with blue cheese crumbles while they rest for just long enough to toast some artisan buns.
serve with plenty of napkins as they are run off your chin juicy. We had ours with curly sweet potato fries last night
enjoy 
What we have here is failure to communicate.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Grill recipes- post the good ones here
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 09:30:46 AM »
steak, salt and pepper on both sides, throw on hot grill, wait 5 mins or so, turn, wait another 5 mins or so, remove from grill, rest for a couple of mins, eat and enjoy.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 09:39:52 AM »
Braised leeks (Alton Brown recipe).

(This is one of my absolute favorite grill recipes. Everyone I know who has tried them raves about them. Don't rush the cleaning step, though. Nothing sucks worse than biting into a gritty leek. This recipe also works for bok choy.)

Split leeks lengthwise.

Swish very thoroughly through water in the sink to clean sand out from between the layers. Gently separate them if you have to.

Shake dry.

Brush both sides with bacon drippings. If you don't have bacon drippings, brush with vegetable oil and sprinkle lightly with salt.

Grill leeks over a very hot fire, turning frequently, until very well browned with the edges starting to char and the leeks start to soften.

Move leeks to a foil pouch, cut side up, over moderate fire, and sprinkle liberally with balsamic vinegar.

Close pouch and allow leeks to braise until soft.

Serve immediately.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 04:18:51 PM »
Speissbraten.

Finely chop onions and garlic (minced garlic from a jar works also).
Mix together in a bowl.
Pour half the bowl in a glass (not metal) casserole dish. Spread evenly.
Use either pork or beef steaks cut about 1"-1.5" thick.  Season both sides with lots of salt (kosher salt is best or from a grinder) and fresh ground pepper.
Place in casserole dish on top of onion garlic mixture.
Pour the other half of the onion/garlic mixture on top of the steaks.  Cover and refrigerate for ~24 hours.
Cook over an open Beech wood fire with an adjustable tripod grill.*  Keep the grate so that the flames just kiss the meat, and keep it swinging and rotating.
Like in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17PD1Pso9y8

You can also do it as a rolled up pork roast on a spit, just keep it turning.

*- You can also do it over a charcoal grill, but it just doesn't taste the same.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 06:56:19 PM »
Fresh Pineapple

Sliced about 1.5 inches thick. Grill on both sides till lightly caramelized.

That's all.

bob

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 10:37:14 PM »
Pinapple is great on the grill! I grill it with pork tenderloin. I think I'll do that this weekend. Thanks for the reminder!

BobR

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 09:16:03 AM »
I like to grill pineapple along with teriyaki chicken.

So because I am in a good mood today and don't mind sharing here is a recipe for a teriyaki marinade/sauce.

This recipe came from the now defunct Pearl City Tavern that used to be in all places, Pearl City, HI. It was a great place to hang out, one of the finest monkey bars in the world. We would go in there to drink cold beer, eat chicken teriyaki and watch the monkeys do what monkeys do, which is more often disgusting than not. As the place was winding down on the journey to being replaced with a car lot I asked for the teriyaki recipe and surprisingly they gave it to me. It must have been a reward for not acting like a monkey when I had too much to drink. ;)

Pearl City Tavern Teriyaki marinade/sauce.

1 Cup      soy sauce
½ Cup     veg. Oil
2          garlic cloves finely chopped
1 tsp       ground ginger
6 TBS      brown sugar (I use dark)

Marinate meat in mixed ingredients overnight turning once or twice.

douzo meshiagare

bob

BobR

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 09:26:08 AM »
While we are on our little tour of the 50th state, those that have been there have been there and gotten away from the bright lights and tourists have probably eaten at a hole in the wall place once or twice. There seems to be one in every wide spot in the road.

One of my favorites is the grilled chicken so here it is. This works extremely well with boneless chicken thighs.

Island Kine Chicken

This combination is one of my favorites using what we have at home.

1-2 Bottles (12 oz.) Japanese Rice Vinegar

Good soy sauce

1/2 white or yellow onion, diced

2-3 inches of diced fresh ginger

3-4 garlic cloves smashed or chopped

Use enough liquid to coat the meat. Mix the vinegar with the veggies, color it well with soy sauce, and then add the meat. Add minor amounts of water to ensure the meat is covered. Let soak 1-2 hours on the counter ensure you stir it around regularly. You may have to play with the soy sauce to get it to your liking. I have never measured the soy sauce, just put it in until it is a little darker than tea but not as dark as coffee. (I know, lots of help, right)  :)

bob
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:41:54 AM by BobR »

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 05:40:55 PM »
Last night I made a great relish from leftover grilled pineapple chopped and sauteed with soy sauce and blended with jalapeno pepper jelly. served it on homemade venison (and pork) brats with stone ground hot mustard.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 09:48:07 PM »
Come on guys, cough up,some more. I've printed these out and will fix a couple in the next couple days.
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 10:29:53 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/McCormick-Montreal-Chicken-Seasoning-23-Ounce/dp/B001EQ56GM

Buy this,  peel the label back and follow the marinade instructions for chicken.  It's quite good,  and all you need is the seasoning,  olive oil, white wine vinegar and Italian seasoning.

My other go to is getting whole pork loins from Sam's,  cutting it into at least inch thick steaks,  and grilling it with salt, pepper and soy sauce.  Pair that with zucchini and onions cooked together in a foil packet* on the grill next to said pork,  and you've got something quite good.

*Sesame seeds are an excellent addition,  if you like them.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 03:25:51 PM »
Its July and good fresh local sweet corn is becoming available here. Not an entree but a great side especially when fixed on the grill.

Soak the full ears, husk and all in cold water for 30 minutes.
Remove from water and carefully peel back the husks to expose the corn kernels.
Remove all the silks, butter the corn and restore the husks to cover as much of the corn as you can. Don't worry about the exposed corn parts.
Grill with medium heat turning often until the main husks begin to toast brown.

I can make a pig of myself with fresh grilled sweet corn.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 04:03:17 PM »
I did corn on the grill the other day. I tried 3 different ways, in the husk, shucked and wrapped in foil and shucked and naked on the grill. It was all good but I preferred the naked and grilled. It wasn't as plump and juicy as the other ways because there was no steaming action but the little burned bits and light carmalization of the corn was really good, especially when slathered with butter and sprinkled with salt.  If you want to spend the money, soaking unshucked corn in apple juice before grilling and grilling in the husk is muy bueno.  =D

bob

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 12:05:58 PM »
Not your average burgers part 2.
I did lamb burgers again (we have a lot of ground lamb because the butcher didn't know what he was doing) but it works well with beef also.
1 pound ground meat
1/4 cup fine chopped onion
3 cloves minced garlic
4-6 olives (I like to use kolamata or green but black works too) pitted and chopped 
1/2 tsp ground turkish oregano
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground corriander
1/4 tsp course sea salt
1/4 (or more) course ground black peppercorns.
1/3-1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles (yes it goes into the mix, not on top, but make sure to crumble fine or mix in well)

mix all very thoroughly in a bowl, I use a spring steel potato masher.
makes 3 nice size burgers per pound, grill as above in first post.
as always, buns must be buttered or brushed with olive oil and lightly toasted on the grill while the meat rests

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 12:42:18 PM »
Try a combo -- partially steamed in the husk (or in foil) and then finished on the grill to give some smoke and char.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 02:18:30 PM »
Marinated flank steak or flat iron steak.

Mix together:

1 cup red wine
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
3-4 cloves chopped garlic
2-3 tablespoons of catsup
2-3 tablespoons of cajun seasoning

Put a flank steak or flat iron steak in a gallon zip bag.  Pour in the marinade mix.  Let it sit in the fridge overnight.

You'll get some blackening on the outside from sugar burning, so turn it a little more often, or watch your grill temps.  Baste the steak with the remaining marinade as you grill.  Cook as you would any other steak to desired redness level.

I play with the seasoning on this mix...sometimes more or less sugar, more or less garlic, maybe add some red pepper flakes or Frostbite hot sauce for heat.

Do you guys know Frostbite? 

http://cajohns.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=104

https://www.amazon.com/Frostbite-Hot-Sauce-5-Ounce/dp/B002JH2NN4/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1468952205&sr=1-1&keywords=Frostbite

It's a great hot sauce to cook with as it is almost flavorless, but adds some heat to what you add it to. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2016, 02:51:28 PM »
After many years of grilling, my recent conversion to infrared has changed everything. I still plan to fix the old Webber coal burner but I'm learning the gas IR and liking it a lot.

Seasoning, spices, herbs etc.
My wife is a wonderful cook (as well as a certified nutritionist) and has a vast collection of herbs and seasonings. She has several kinds each of many of them. She does wonders with them and we enjoy experimenting. She also collects recipes, thousands and thousands of them.
We made a glaze for grilled chicken using her home canned orange jalapeño pepper jelly and thinned with a little olive oil and vinegar that was real good. Had enough left over to use it on the veggie kabobs also.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 08:52:27 PM »
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1-inch cubes

2 tsp kosher salt
2 Tbs sweet paprika
4 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 pack of bacon

Put everything in the blender except the chicken, puree into a paste.
Put chicken and paste into bowl. Mix up.
Leave in the fridge overnight.
Either kebab the chicken or do slightly larger pieces and just grill.

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 03:34:28 PM »
Just purchase one of these. http://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/
Fixed St. Louis style ribs Sunday and they were awesome. About 3 hours total slow cooking and smoked with 2 small blocks of hickory with sauce on for the final 30 minutes. I set it up and left it for 1.5 hours before I peeked.
I love it. Not something I'll fire up for wife and I on a weeknight. I'll use the infrared propane Webber for small fast and convenient. I think I'll plan a rib and chicken bbq night for a group of friends and I'll use the barrel for them. I also have a brisket in the freezer. Never tried to cook brisket before.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 04:11:53 PM »
Ribeye
Kosher salt

Salt steak generously and let sit at room temperature for at least 45 minutes before grilling. Grill hot and fast to desired doneness. Tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Steak perfection. It's all in the technique, not ingredients.
Andy

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 06:23:55 PM »
Probably posted this before... but here goes:

Bacon Wrapped BBQ pork chops

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon seasoning salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 boneless pork loin chops (thick ones. mine were like 1 and 1/2 inches)
Enough bacon to wrap said chops around the edges.
Maple syrup
Olive oil
Your favorite barbecue sauce.

Dry the chops thoroughly with a paper towel. Otherwise the olive oil won't stick right, nor will the rub.
Mix the garlic powder, seasoning salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Rub this all over the chops.
Wrap a strip of bacon around the edges of the chops and hold in place with toothpicks. Be careful to tell your wife that you used toothpicks, lest she bite into one.

Brush the bacon with maple syrup to help keep it from burning and glaze it. Brush the surface of the chops with olive oil, over the rub.

Grill the chops for 10 minutes, turning once, on medium to high heat. I like high to sear them, crisp the edges, and lock in the juice. Sear them puppies good.

Important. While grilling, admire your motorcycle. If you don't have a motorcycle, buy one. And admire it.

At this point, Drop some foil on the grill, put the chops on foil, drizzle them with your fav. barbecue sauce, and wrap em up tight like a potato. Cook them on the grill for another 10-15. I lower the heat here. For the real thick chops, I did 15.

Take the chops off the grill and put em on a plate, still in the foil. Important: LET THEM SIT IN THE FOIL FOR ANOTHER 10 MINUTES.

Serve with a delicious dark porter or lager. I chose vanilla porter.

Get fatter.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 06:27:47 PM »
I'll try that. I always get whole pork loin and cut to my own desired thickness and vacuumed seal 2 to a package. Thanks!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 07:19:08 PM »
I'll try that. I always get whole pork loin and cut to my own desired thickness and vacuumed seal 2 to a package. Thanks!

Birdman can attest to the deliciousness

Of course when he and I made them we also stuffed them full of ham and mozzarella

Because why not
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 07:21:08 PM »
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1-inch cubes

2 tsp kosher salt
2 Tbs sweet paprika
4 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 pack of bacon

Put everything in the blender except the chicken, puree into a paste
Put chicken and paste into bowl. Mix up.
Leave in the fridge overnight.
Either kebab the chicken or do slightly larger pieces and just grill.

Even the uncooked bacon?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 09:00:40 PM »
made this a few time since red meat isn't in the diet anymore.

http://www.cookingclassy.com/2015/04/greek-chicken-kebabs-with-tzatziki-sauce/

Very tasty
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536