Author Topic: What kind of bicycle is this?  (Read 1702 times)

zahc

• friend
What kind of bicycle is this?
« on: July 02, 2016, 09:44:17 PM »
What kind of bike is this? I'm not interested in the fact that it's hand-built or anything, just the style of bike. I haven't had a bike in 8 years since I parted out my last BMX, but think I am in love with it and now require a bike like this.

http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/diy-custom-frame-the-custom--21423#

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: What kind of bicycle is this?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 11:44:51 PM »
Fixies are impracticable and for hipsters.

Other than that obvious flaw it is a nice looking ride.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 11:45:34 PM »
hmm, double post
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 10:00:53 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 08:07:04 AM »
Fixed gear is just the drivetrain, right? You could build a bike like that with a freewheel, then what would it be?

It doesn't look like a road bike to me because it doesn't have dropped handlebars.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 08:20:32 AM »
Fixed gear is just the drivetrain, right? You could build a bike like that with a freewheel, then what would it be?

A single speed with no brakes?

It doesn't look like a road bike to me because it doesn't have dropped handlebars.

The smooth skinny tires make it a road bike, you can put any handlebars on any bike.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 09:07:14 AM »
Fixies are impracticable and for hipsters.

Nonsense.  I rode one for several years, even doing a century on it.  Mine was set up for actual riding though, with clipless pedals, a front brake (rear brakes aren't necessary), and a water bottle cage. 

I also sported a fixie mtb back when I had a singlespeed mtb with v-brakes in the rear.  Log crossings were sporty. :D

Yes.  The pedals turn in whatever direction the wheels are turning and never stop moving as long as the bike is moving.  It requires a smooth pedal stroke.  I found fixies great for climbing because you get a "flywheel" effect from the rear wheel.

You could build the same bike with a freewheel and get a singlespeed road bike, but you'd want to add brakes.  For that matter, I'd add at least a front brake to any fixie. 

FWIW, road bikes don't need to have drop bars.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 09:33:58 AM »
BTW, if you want a fixie, your best bet is to buy a complete frame and build it up or buy a complete bike.  Don't try to weld your own frame unless you're already an accomplished TIG welder.

You can get complete fixies on the low end for $300ish, but I'd suggest starting with a budget of about $600.  If you build your own, Performance's Scattante SSR frame is nice and goes on sale for as little as $99.99 regularly.  That's what I did.  You won't save any money building it yourself, but you'll get exactly what you want in a bike.

Surly's Steamroller is the gold standard for affordable and quality in a fixie.  It even has clearance for rather wide tires so you could take it on smoothish trails if so inclined.

Chris

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 09:36:37 AM »
Nonsense.  I rode one for several years, even doing a century on it.  Mine was set up for actual riding though, with clipless pedals, a front brake (rear brakes aren't necessary), and a water bottle cage.  

I also sported a fixie mtb back when I had a singlespeed mtb with v-brakes in the rear.  Log crossings were sporty. :D

Yes.  The pedals turn in whatever direction the wheels are turning and never stop moving as long as the bike is moving.  It requires a smooth pedal stroke.  I found fixies great for climbing because you get a "flywheel" effect from the rear wheel.

You could build the same bike with a freewheel and get a singlespeed road bike, but you'd want to add brakes.  For that matter, I'd add at least a front brake to any fixie.  

FWIW, road bikes don't need to have drop bars.

Chris

Recommending a fixie to someone who hasn't even owned a bike in 8 years just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Fixies are a fringe type set up that require a different skill set to ride.

There is nothing wrong with them IMHO just like there is nothing wrong with mountain biking on a ridged single speed.

If I am recommending a MB to a new rider I'm not going to recommend a RSS. I'll let them make that decision once they are in the game a while.

If I were you Zach I would ride one first before committing.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 09:45:20 AM »
Recommending a fixie to someone who hasn't even owned a bike in 8 years just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Fixies are a fringe type set up that require a different skill set to ride.

There is nothing wrong with them IMHO just like there is nothing wrong with mountain biking on a ridged single speed.

If I am recommending a MB to a new rider I'm not going to recommend a RSS. I'll let them make that decision once they are in the game a while.

If I were you Zach I would ride one first before committing.

That's not even the same statement you provided to begin with.  I'm not suggesting he get one as his first bike, just answering his questions.  I'll leave it up to him if he's ready for that style of bike.

Chris

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 09:59:11 AM »
Well my first post was admittedly a bit flippant and dismissive :P  but he did say in the OP that he hasn't owned a bike in 8 years.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 09:19:03 PM »
As I stated before, I was more intrigued by the geometry and look of the bike than the drivetrain. Something seems to be different about it; I thought maybe the BB is higher than normal or something. It doesn't look like a road bike to me but maybe it's because it's steel and plain and not all spacey looking or maybe I am just hitting an age where road bikes are starting to look good.

If I did set up a fixie, I would use a flipflop hub and a front brake.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 11:15:57 PM »
There are plenty of non-spacey-looking bikes if that's what you want.

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 03:45:47 PM »
As I stated before, I was more intrigued by the geometry and look of the bike than the drivetrain. Something seems to be different about it; I thought maybe the BB is higher than normal or something. It doesn't look like a road bike to me but maybe it's because it's steel and plain and not all spacey looking or maybe I am just hitting an age where road bikes are starting to look good.

Heh. It looks like the frame from my 25 year old Trek 850 that I still ride.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 04:12:37 PM »

From the kid's description on that page:

After roughly 3-4 months of working on this frame, it is ready to ride! I made this frame with the guidance and help of frame builder Aj Lu (Owner of Muirandessi Cycles http://www.muirandessicycles.com/) as a part of my Senior Project for High School. I love this frame to death, all the trial and error payed off and I'm very proud of the frame I built.

Frame:
DIY Custom Fillet Brazed frame made with a True Temper 4130 Chromoly Tube Set. Size: 55 Seat Tube c-c/55.5 Effective Top Tube c-c. Featuring: Paragon Machine Works DR2012 Horizontal Bottle Opener Dropouts, S-Bend True Temper Seat Stays, Nova Cycles Chromoly Seat Tube.
More Info:
The frame was based off of the 1993 Cannondale Track. Not exactly to spec but the Head Tube, Seat Tube angles and Bottom Bracket Drop was taken from it's geometry.

Not sure that I'd choose to braze those nice steel tubes, but then I have a welder handy.  Whatever floats one's boat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Cannondale-Track-Icelandic-Green-Size-51cm-/252422548563?hash=item3ac58e6c53:g:iCMAAOSwvg9XXYEn

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-New-Cannondale-Track-Frame-Original-Fork-1992-58cm-Vintage-Fixed-Fixie-/222159271619?hash=item33b9b976c3:g:8gQAAOSw1DtXJrCB

Just how much do you like it anyway?