Author Topic: Conspiracies & Strange (non-religious) Beliefs  (Read 6667 times)

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Conspiracies & Strange (non-religious) Beliefs
« on: December 06, 2006, 03:35:15 AM »
In talking to a friend the other day, I see that there are some strange and interesting conspiracy theories out there.
He believes the current government interest in health is driven by the desire to have readily available healthy organs ready for future harvest by politicians and the rich. According to him, the smokers and obese being an economic burden is hogwash because they cut their lives short (thereby avoiding long-term and expensive health care) and because the medical establishment is not interested in saving their lives if theyre not covered by insurance. He also believes that if a major famine hits, healthy people will be eaten.
I also work with a guy who firmly believes Tupac is still alive and faked his death to get out of the thug life.
Another coworker refuses to vote because she believes the outcome has been predetermined. She said she voted before for people and issues that lost, everyone she asked also voted practically the same as she did, therefore, based upon her impromptu poll, voting must be rigged.
What about you? Heard anything that made you come close to fashioning a tin foil hat of your very own?
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Stickjockey

• friend
Re: Conspiracies & Strange (non-religious) Beliefs
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 03:44:58 AM »
My aunt has asked me several times about the black helicopters flying around Portland. (Until recently, we had a squadron of EH-60 PaveHawks based at PDX doing local S&R work.) She's convinced they're doing some sort of weird surveillance work.

My Brother in-Law refuses to join the NRA. He's convinced it's a front for the Government to get a list of gun owners.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 04:23:52 AM »
A fellow called the local radio show this morning, and claimed that the NAZI's hated Jews mainly because they killed Christ.  He also claimed that Christianity was entirely responsible for slavery in America. 

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 05:19:16 AM »
I am dead-certain that FDR knew that Pearl Harbor was going to be attacked - but did NOT know that torpedoes dropped from airplanes could be used at PH, NOR that the Japanese had modified battleship shells into aerial AP bombs, so allowed the attack to go ahead, convinced that the old battlewagons could not be seriously hurt...
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

meinbruder

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 06:45:22 AM »
I am dead-certain that FDR knew that Pearl Harbor was going to be attacked - but did NOT know that torpedoes dropped from airplanes could be used at PH, NOR that the Japanese had modified battleship shells into aerial AP bombs, so allowed the attack to go ahead, convinced that the old battlewagons could not be seriously hurt...

In a similar vein, here's a two'fer; I bought a roll of heavyweight tinfoil when I heard these.  The .gov knew about the pending attack of Sep 11th, did nothing to stop it, and then used it for political advantage.  >switch on Darth Vader voice< "Did Bush follow in the footsteps of FDR?  Only history will show!" >voice off<   

Separately, the Pentagon was hit by a destructive missile not a passenger jet, this one is even searchable on the internet.  The claim is "supported" by an almost credible lack of debris from the aircraft.  On the other hand, it doesn't explain where the forth airliner went.  Maybe it's still flying in the Twilight Zone?       
}:)>
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.....

Da bianhua
}:)>

Chuck Dye

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 06:58:56 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, this one was invented out of whole cloth some time after the third pitcher of beer by persons who shall remain unnamed:

Who hired James Earl Ray?  Choosing martyrdom over ignominy, Martin Luther King hired Ray upon learning that he would soon die of a disease acquired from a woman not his wife (or a man?)  The true conspiracy in the death of MLKJr. is not in the shooting, it is in the sanitizing of medical records and autopsy results.    grin grin grin

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 07:24:33 AM »
U.S. emissions from burning carbohydrons were responsible for Hurricane Katrina.  This seems to be accepted wisdom in Europe, btw.

The Jews were responsible for [fill in name of disaster here].
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 07:38:54 AM »
The claim is "supported" by an almost credible lack of debris from the aircraft.     

Only if you cherry-pick photos that don't show all the bits of airliner scatted on the lawn. The ones that do, well, just don't show those.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 07:41:34 AM »
The strangest I've ever heard about is the speculation by one David Icke.

In 1999, he published The Biggest Secret, in which he wrote that the Illuminati are a race of reptilian humanoids known as the Babylonian Brotherhood, and that many prominent figures are reptilian, including George W. Bush, Queen Elizabeth II, Kris Kristofferson, and Boxcar Willie.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke

I've read The Biggest Secret and that pretty much sums it up.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 08:04:11 AM »
and that many prominent figures are reptilian
Some of the posters heremight be reptilian. laugh
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 08:22:58 AM »
and that many prominent figures are reptilian
Some of the posters heremight be reptilian. laugh
Sssurely that issss unssssupported bythe data.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

griz

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 08:37:15 AM »
1. Some people who believe the US government actually orchestrated the 9-11 attacks for reasons unkown.
2. A carburetor that will cause an old pushrod V-8 to get 100 MPG was patented, but Detroit or the oil companies bought the patent to keep people dependant on gasoline.
3. My favorite:  I know a couple people who believe that rich people do not pay taxes.  This is because of secret loopholes that only they know about.
4. I will go ahead and list psychics here and apologize in advance to the folks who believe.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 10:42:38 AM »
My two favorites I've heard are both from a highly intelligent high school girl I know.
 http://www.haarp.net/Apparently, Bush orchestrated Katrina using Haarp.
The second I don't have an url for, and don't remember all that well. The gist is that Earth was "seeded" by aliens millenia ago, and now that alien seed is coming to the forefront, resulting in children with amazing alien powers. These children are highly intelligent, and frequently are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and autism, among other things.

laugh
Hi.

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 12:47:49 PM »
My father, who otherwise has never subscribed to any type of conspiracy theory in his life, is absolutely convinced the CIA assassinated Malcolm X.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 12:59:21 PM »
My two favorites I've heard are both from a highly intelligent high school girl I know.
 http://www.haarp.net/Apparently, Bush orchestrated Katrina using Haarp.
The second I don't have an url for, and don't remember all that well. The gist is that Earth was "seeded" by aliens millenia ago, and now that alien seed is coming to the forefront, resulting in children with amazing alien powers. These children are highly intelligent, and frequently are diagnosed with ADD/ADHD and autism, among other things.

laugh

http://skepdic.com/indigo.html

"Indigo" children, named for the color of their unique auras.

See, they are "special" and "gifted", not normal kids poorly parented.  rolleyes

how to recognize the Indigo Child

The Indigo Child is recognizable by his or her aura and by certain other traits, according to The Indigo Children website (owned by Kryon Writings).

They come into the world with a feeling of royalty (and often act like it)
They have a feeling of "deserving to be here," and are surprised when others don't share that.
Self-worth is not a big issue. They often tell the parents "who they are."
 They have difficulty with absolute authority (authority without explanation or choice).
They simply will not do certain things; for example, waiting in line is difficult for them.
They get frustrated with systems that are ritually oriented and don't require creative thought.
They often see better ways of doing things, both at home and in school, which makes them seem like "system busters" (nonconforming to any system).
They seem antisocial unless they are with their own kind. If there are no others of like consciousness around them, they often turn inward, feeling like no other human understands them. School is often extremely difficult for them socially.
They will not respond to "guilt" discipline ("Wait till your father gets home and finds out what you did").
They are not shy in letting you know what they need.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 02:02:46 PM »
Yep, that's the one.....
Hi.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 02:15:14 PM »
Well, I don't know about you guys and gals, but all that stuff they advertise at 3 a.m. on TV works exactly like they say it does. They even doubled my order for free! All I had to do was pay a small shipping and handling charge...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

griz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 02:51:52 PM »
Well, I don't know about you guys and gals, but all that stuff they advertise at 3 a.m. on TV works exactly like they say it does. They even doubled my order for free! All I had to do was pay a small shipping and handling charge...

I KNEW it was true!! grin  Where's my credit card shocked
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

RayannaDeerfox

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 07:06:26 PM »
I've been working on writing a type of sci-fi novel where children are 'hooked' into a machine that allows them to live a full life (i.e. life here on earth) in a matter of minutes, thereby allowing them a lifetime of knowledge in a short period of time.  I explained my (unwritten) novel to a friend of mine who exclaimed, "Yes!  It's true!  And when you wake up you find the Blue Water People!"  He was completely serious.  How, in Gods' name, do you look at that person again with a straight face?

P. S.  He believes in the Illuminati thing, too.... He calls them the "Snake People"

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 07:33:37 PM »
Quote from: RayannaDeerfox
How, in Gods' name, do you look at that person again with a straight face?

You don't. You pat them on the head and walk away.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 07:36:58 PM »
In 1999, he published The Biggest Secret, in which he wrote that the Illuminati are a race of reptilian humanoids known as the Babylonian Brotherhood, and that many prominent figures are reptilian, including George W. Bush, Queen Elizabeth II, Kris Kristofferson, and Boxcar Willie.

Damn, that explains so much about my ex-wife.  I'm paying alimony to a snake.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 08:11:30 PM »
Boxcar Willie???

That explains everything!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 12:54:51 AM »
I was having a heated political disscussion at work with a black co worker who was trying to tell me the NRA
founded the KKK.
I guided him thru a short history of reconstruction and the difference between Nathan Bedford and U Grant
...He was SHOCKED & didn't believe the NRA was founded by Union officers and Lincoln was not a Dem, that the KKK were the Dem's.

He pointed his finger at me and told me how "Katrina followed the same path as the slave ships"
then stormed off.

I guess thats a conspiracy theory...only what one I was to confused to ask.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 01:38:08 AM »
I recall a while back, me and this cute girl (woman) I liked were driving down a dark back country road. She says to me, dead serious, "I don't like these roads at night. I don't want to be abducted by aliens." I was thinking , "Hmmm... just about time to take you home. "   cheesy

Avoid cliches like the plague!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 04:43:38 AM »
Take her home?

Aren't you supposed to run out of gas?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?