Author Topic: Local to me news - permit holder killed by police  (Read 24539 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Local to me news - permit holder killed by police
« on: July 07, 2016, 01:27:57 PM »
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/07/06/police-officer-involved-shooting-in-falcon-heights/

Guy is killed by cops after telling them he has a permit and is carrying.

Seems to be a case of carrying while black.

Badgelickers blaming the victim are already all over Facebook.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Local to me news - permit holder killed by police
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 01:46:45 PM »
I'm willing to wait for more context, but this looks very bad for the police officer.

FROM THE CURRENT INFORMATION AVAILABLE, it looks like the police officer was panicky because the driver willingly told him he was carrying a firearm, which we've seen video of that happening previously.

(As a note, why do some police officers become hair-trigger at that? If he TELLS you he's got a firearm, your threat meter ought to decrease, not increase because if he wanted to shoot you, he wouldn't tell you.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 01:51:03 PM »

Plenty of people rushing to judgment from the other side, so... It looks to me like a bad shoot, but keep in mind that outrage over a black guy being shot has (over the past few years) usually meant that the cops were in the right.

Usually...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 01:51:09 PM »
You can hear in the video from the tone of the officer's voice he realizes he just may have screwed the pooch.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 01:53:06 PM »
Interesting, there appear to suddenly be three stories of cops killing black men in the matter of a couple of days. Almost makes me want to get out the tinfoil. I see that the President was apparently "made aware" of at least one of them, and the dems brought it up in the middle of the Comey hearing. No word on if anyone of the other races killed by cops has been brought to Obama's attention.

I will say that two of these look bad for the cops. Definitely need more info.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 02:02:49 PM »
You can hear in the video from the tone of the officer's voice he realizes he just may have screwed the pooch.

I tried listening, but there might be something incompatible with my computer - I get no audio on the video.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 02:12:44 PM »
I tried listening, but there might be something incompatible with my computer - I get no audio on the video.

I heard it while watching the news this morning.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 02:18:40 PM »
In cases like these I think that LE triggers may not do enough to prevent negligent discharges. I have no love or hate for law enforcement but I don't think it'd be the worst thing to put a revolver, or some other suitable DAO pistol, back on their belt. Shooting someone out of poor judgement is an entirely different issue than shooting someone by accident and you just know that authorities are only too happy to spin the story their way.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 02:32:51 PM »
makattack whined:

(As a note, why do some police officers become hair-trigger at that? If he TELLS you he's got a firearm, your threat meter ought to decrease, not increase because if he wanted to shoot you, he wouldn't tell you.)

Are you trying to inject mere logic into these kinds of things?

For shame.

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 02:38:52 PM »
Never mind, wrong thread
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 02:40:27 PM »
Interesting, there appear to suddenly be three stories of cops killing black men in the matter of a couple of days. Almost makes me want to get out the tinfoil. I see that the President was apparently "made aware" of at least one of them, and the dems brought it up in the middle of the Comey hearing. No word on if anyone of the other races killed by cops has been brought to Obama's attention.

Curious timing, indeed.

Also disturbing that the Dept of Justice for the Little People seems to automatically investigate any police shooting of a black guy (if it makes headlines).
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 02:41:42 PM »
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/07/06/police-officer-involved-shooting-in-falcon-heights/

Guy is killed by cops after telling them he has a permit and is carrying.

Seems to be a case of carrying while black.

I've not watched the video, but this is exactly why I don't tell cops when I'm armed.  I don't trust them not to shoot me.
"It's good, though..."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 02:57:47 PM »
I've not watched the video, but this is exactly why I don't tell cops when I'm armed.  I don't trust them not to shoot me.

Depending on the state you're required to notify upon contact.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 03:00:38 PM »
I've not watched the video, but this is exactly why I don't tell cops when I'm armed.  I don't trust them not to shoot me.

In Texas we are required to inform if we are packing if asked by LEO for our ID.

Perhaps they ought to have issued Officer Badshoot? one of the pretty blue Glocks instead of the boring black colored ones with the trigger Perfection.

I would be interested to see/hear any LEO on-body or car video & audio.  Gal recording the video seems remarkably calm considering that four rounds were just shot near her in the wild and that her BF is bleeding out.  She seems the more credible witness at the time of filming when she tells Officer Badshoot? her BF was following instructions.  Again, LEO-side video/audio would be nice.

===========

As far as the LEO-shoots-black-guy konspiracy, there will always be a bunch ready to roll given crime rates.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

White Horseradish

• friend
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 03:13:41 PM »

I will say that two of these look bad for the cops. Definitely need more info.

I think we can believe it is being raised as a convenient smokescreen while at the same time believing that the shoots were not staged. In any given week there are probably at least one or two examples of cops murdering an innocent person.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 03:17:36 PM »
Joe Olson is a guy whose I opinion I would listen to.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/07/07/3796266/philando-castile-shooting-st-anthony-police-falcon-heights-improper-stops/

“I was on the fire department in Falcon Heights when they got the [St. Anthony] police contract, and the chief promised the city council that he would double their ticket revenue,” Olson said, adding that this happened before Ohl’s tenure. “They essentially run a slot machine where the incident happened. They’re always out there looking for anything — write a ticket and collect a buck.”

Policing for profit, yet another reason why I maintain that the majority of police departments are just criminal organizations operating under color of law.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 03:31:47 PM »
If it is a bad shoot I hope the cop is prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Considering it probably really is a bad shoot I know that is too much to ask.

On a side note:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/21/police-kill-more-whites-than-blacks-but-minority-d/
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 03:36:08 PM »
If it is a bad shoot I hope the cop is prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Considering it probably really is a bad shoot I know that is too much to ask.

I think the Minnesota BCA (Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, people that investigate police shootings) has failed to clear the cop in a shooting only once. And even then no charges were filed.

Robert A Heinlein

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 03:48:25 PM »
Depending on the state you're required to notify upon contact.

I understand that.  Minnesota does not require it.  Texas does, but there is no penalty for failing to; it's not even an infraction. (I don't have a TX permit, so it doesn't matter, I just think it's interesting)
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 03:59:15 PM »
They removed the penalty to failure to notify in Texas, but the requirement is still there.  The officer will see that you have permit as soon as he runs your information.  I just hand over both ID's and explain my carry status then. 

Is a police officer justified in shooting just because the guy was reaching for "something"? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
Is a police officer justified in shooting just because the guy was reaching for "something"? 

In my opinion?  No.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 04:11:17 PM »
Can y'all tell from the video if the officer told the guy to show his hands or not to reach for anything?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2016, 04:12:04 PM »
In my opinion?  No.
That was my thought also.  I would have though he would need to see something in his hands first.