Author Topic: Local to me news - permit holder killed by police  (Read 24538 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Local to me news - permit holder killed by police
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2016, 04:12:18 PM »
Can y'all tell from the video if the officer told the guy to show his hands or not to reach for anything?

Thing is he may not have heard the officer say that considering he had just been told to produce his ID.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2016, 04:19:07 PM »
Can y'all tell from the video if the officer told the guy to show his hands or not to reach for anything?

Sounds like a case of "Don't move!  Give me your ID immediately!  I said don't move!"

Some reports say there was a four year old in the car.  What the hell is the matter with people?  Paranoia about being shot needs to be recognised and treated as a mental illness. 

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2016, 05:04:09 PM »
Some reports say there was a four year old in the car.  What the hell is the matter with people?  Paranoia about being shot needs to be recognised and treated as a mental illness. 

Medical retirement if they're that paranoid.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2016, 06:31:07 PM »
I've not watched the video, but this is exactly why I don't tell cops when I'm armed.  I don't trust them not to shoot me.

That can backfire on you when they run your ID.

A woman I know got grilled because she hadn't informed them of her CHL because she wasn't carrying when she was pulled over. They refused to believe her when she said it was at home and hassled her for a good while over it.
And this is in a state where it is not required and only recommended as a courtesy to the officers.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2016, 06:41:31 PM »
That can backfire on you when they run your ID.

A woman I know got grilled because she hadn't informed them of her CHL because she wasn't carrying when she was pulled over. They refused to believe her when she said it was at home and hassled her for a good while over it.
And this is in a state where it is not required and only recommended as a courtesy to the officers.

That doesn't sound like a "courtesy" to me.  :mad:
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2016, 06:45:59 PM »
That doesn't sound like a "courtesy" to me.  :mad:

It's not.

However, my Dad, who gets pulled over a lot because of his job, always informs and has never had a problem... Well, not a bad problem. He's had a few instances now of the cop deciding there was all the time in the world to stand by the side of the road and chit chat about guns. Dad had to gently, but firmly, tell one officer that he really had to get going, but he hoped his recommendations for a pistol for the officers wife worked out.  ;/
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2016, 07:15:11 PM »

Plenty of people rushing to judgment from the other side, so... It looks to me like a bad shoot, but keep in mind that outrage over a black guy being shot has (over the past few years) usually meant that the cops were in the right.

Usually...

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.  I had the same thought initially.  But a number of things caused me to rethink.  The guy's age, his continuous state of employment, the fact that he had a clean enough record to get a carry permit, the fact that he was actually carrying and informed the officer.  This is starting to smell like a bad shoot to me too.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Local to me news - permit holder killed by police
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2016, 07:58:44 PM »
If it is a bad shoot I hope the cop is prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Considering it probably really is a bad shoot I know that is too much to ask.

On a side note:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/apr/21/police-kill-more-whites-than-blacks-but-minority-d/
On a better side note as far as making liberals twitch

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2016/04/27/this-study-found-race-matters-in-police-shootings-but-the-results-may-surprise-you/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
Re: Re: Local to me news - permit holder killed by police
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2016, 08:00:58 PM »
In my opinion?  No.
Garner is less clear about how to assess that or rather graham v Connor as a follow up is
The money shot for you

In the 1989 Graham v. Connor ruling, the Supreme Court expanded its definition to include "objective reasonableness" standard—not subjective as to what the officer's intent might have been—and it must be judged from the perspective of a reasonable officer at the scene—and its calculus must embody the fact that police officers are often forced to make split-second decisions about the amount of force necessary in a particular situation

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2016, 10:12:45 PM »
It appears that at first the woman seems to just think her boyfriend got shot in the arm if you believe the narration.  That might be why she was more calm at first.  I thought the video caught the traffic stop, but it only starts after the shots are fired.  

I think it is telling how obviously emotional/stressed the officer is when he responded to the woman on the video.  Why would he say anything at all?  I also wasn't sure why he still held them at gun point then.  Maybe backup wasn't there yet.

I agree with a comment earlier.  I would like to see/hear the police video.  Even if it was just car video with the remote microphone, it would help clear up what happened.  All we seem to have at this point is the woman's video testimony and the response of the police officer on the video.  We need more.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2016, 10:37:43 PM »
I was looking at some of the face book comments on the news site.  One thing that jumped out at me:  You really shouldn't have to behave as if your life is on the line just because you are being pulled over for a traffic citation.  I saw several people commenting that he failed to follow the officer's instructions and he shouldn't have reached for something.  If traffic stops have somehow become life or death situations then they are too dangerous and police shouldn't be doing them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2016, 11:42:32 PM »
It appears that at first the woman seems to just think her boyfriend got shot in the arm if you believe the narration.  That might be why she was more calm at first.  I thought the video caught the traffic stop, but it only starts after the shots are fired.  

I think it is telling how obviously emotional/stressed the officer is when he responded to the woman on the video.  Why would he say anything at all?  I also wasn't sure why he still held them at gun point then.  Maybe backup wasn't there yet....

Because if she had a knife or gun that he doesn't know about, it would be reasonable to expect her to try to kill him in self defense (and IMHO justified, see John Bad Elk v. US, 1900)
"It's good, though..."

• friends
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2016, 09:28:24 AM »
Now reading. Not a permit holder

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• friends
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2016, 09:29:27 AM »
And police radio transcript says he matched description of armed robbery suspect

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2016, 09:33:54 AM »
And police radio transcript says he matched description of armed robbery suspect

I see this a lot, in a lot of these shootings.  So *expletive deleted*ing what?  Unless he WAS the armed robbery suspect, this gets zero traction with me.

A cop in a free country does not get a pass, or even leniency, for shooting someone not a criminal because they were nervous about a criminal.  To some extent the LEO defenders that insist they should helped create the us vs. them that lead to Dallas this week.  And it's my opinion that that little bit of tribalism has just barely kicked off.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2016, 11:44:01 AM »
I don't believe anything from Conservative Treehouse. Need more reliable sources
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2016, 11:55:07 AM »
I don't believe anything from Conservative Treehouse. Need more reliable sources

Conservative Treehouse is like a more explicitly racist combination of Infowars and World Net Daily. I would actually respect a WND link as more credible.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2016, 12:50:02 PM »
I'm beginning to see more rumblings, including a radio transcript, of there being a lot more to the story. The story links the robbery suspect's decription, one of the items taken, and and the woman who posted the film having a similar item in her possession during the 07/07 press conf.

I am reserving speculation pending confirmation by other sources but the narrative is reasonably plausible if the facts as presented are generally correct.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

• friends
Re:
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2016, 01:18:56 PM »
Spme of what is in conservative Treehouse is from the police and you can see the gun in the picture

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2016, 01:54:39 PM »
Okay, if the guy had a gun in his lap, I can see why the officer would have a gun drawn and fire if the guy made the wrong movements.  Another reason it is always best to wait a few days before passing judgement.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2016, 02:03:21 PM »
Now reading. Not a permit holder
Read some more. Yes, a permit holder.

http://www.startribune.com/philando-castile-had-permit-to-carry-gun/386054481/

Ramsey county did not issue it, Hennepin did.

Which means absolutely nothing.

A friend of mine got robbed. Gave a description to police. They brought a guy for her to ID. Looked nothing like the guy.

This is a bullshit excuse.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

dogmush

• friend
Re:
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2016, 02:06:17 PM »
Spme of what is in conservative Treehouse is from the police and you can see the gun in the picture

You have NSA level image intensification software if you are sure that's a gun in the conservative treehouse article.  It's definitely a something though.

And the "Similar item to what was stolen" that the lady has is a pack of Newport 100's.  Not exactly rare in the hood.

I'm not calling for the cops head yet, I just said it looked bad.  But the efforts to spin the narrative in the LEO's favor seem more frantic than credible.

White Horseradish

• friend
Re:
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2016, 02:14:44 PM »

Oh, please. You can see some blurry thing that could be literally anything, from a cell phone to a belt.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re:
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2016, 04:00:05 PM »
I'm not certain why the attempts to stretch for justification in this case- police screw up and it would be helpful to their supporters to admit that it happens.

The ONLY amazing thing about this one would be if the BLM people actually found a case where an innocent was shot, since they almost uniformly choose criminals who gave cause for shooting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought