Author Topic: Local to me news - permit holder killed by police  (Read 24541 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Local to me news - permit holder killed by police
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2016, 04:06:11 PM »
It looks real bad to me, but I've been wrong about that before.  I think the NRA was right to not comment on this case yet.  Wait for the investigation (or lack thereof.)
"It's good, though..."

White Horseradish

• friend
Re:
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2016, 04:29:10 PM »
The ONLY amazing thing about this one would be if the BLM people actually found a case where an innocent was shot, since they almost uniformly choose criminals who gave cause for shooting.
Castile was pretty much the poster-perfect good guy. Straight-A student, worked a steady job, had a permit, no record beyond bullshit traffic violations.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re:
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2016, 04:54:41 PM »
Castile was pretty much the poster-perfect good guy. Straight-A student, worked a steady job, had a permit, no record beyond bullshit traffic violations.
The deceased being innocent and upstanding is not what is surprising.

BLM choosing to make issue with his being shot is.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2016, 08:43:57 PM »
Oh, please. You can see some blurry thing that could be literally anything, from a cell phone to a belt.
Is it your contention he did not have a gun?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2016, 08:45:25 PM »
http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=b95_1468030677

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2016, 08:57:07 PM »
http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=b95_1468030677

He smokes weed.  I had no idea but this is proof positive he deserved it.

It's impossible to violate the rights of someone with reefer madness!
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

• friends
Re:
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2016, 08:59:28 PM »
Ymmv but in some cultures smoking weed in a car with your 4 year old in the car seat is less than optimal

De Selby

• friend
Re:
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2016, 09:06:38 PM »
Ymmv but in some cultures smoking weed in a car with your 4 year old in the car seat is less than optimal

What's that have to do with him being a threat to police?

There seems to be an unspoken assumption in these threads that any and all character flaws or criminal history a dead guy has is relevant to whether he should have been shot.  That's more than disturbing when a gun owner is the one saying that sort of "well maybe he deserved it!" crap.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re:
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2016, 09:47:00 PM »
The ONLY amazing thing about this one would be if the BLM people actually found a case where an innocent was shot, since they almost uniformly choose criminals who gave cause for shooting.

Yeah, that's the surprising part. Not to discount Tamir Rice, and probably a few other cases. But most of the people they go to war over (sometimes literally) range from the outright felonious, to the merely shady.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2016, 11:34:32 PM »
Is it your contention he did not have a gun?

My contention is that saying that this blurry picture proves that he had it in his lap is at best wishful thinking.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2016, 08:48:08 AM »
He smokes weed.  I had no idea but this is proof positive he deserved it.

It's impossible to violate the rights of someone with reefer madness!

CSAD might agree with that sentiment.

Maybe he was offering the cop a toke and the cop popped him for that.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
Re: Re: Re:
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2016, 09:09:30 AM »
My contention is that saying that this blurry picture proves that he had it in his lap is at best wishful thinking.
So that's a no?we both believe he had a gun?

Do we both believe it behooves one to be careful when armed during a traffic stop?&*

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2016, 09:18:49 AM »

Do we both believe it behooves one to be careful when armed during a traffic stop?&*

Because a cop would never get jumpy with an armed citizen nor give conflicting orders in rapid succession. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
Re:
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2016, 09:39:24 AM »
Hence it behooves one to be very careful. One never knows when one matches the description of someone who is wanted.

De Selby

• friend
Re:
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2016, 09:48:57 AM »
Hence it behooves one to be very careful. One never knows when one matches the description of someone who is wanted.

http://www.snopes.com/philando-castile-was-not-wanted-for-armed-robbery/

Snopes does a good analysis of the web rumours about that one.  Short version is: Castile was not a suspect in any robbery.

Sorry CSD, but your risk of being shot by police shouldn't increase solely because someone else robbed a store. A free society isn't one where you assume every interaction with police is one where you very likely could be shot.  Likewise, as has been commented on this thread, if stopping cars is so dangerous, there needs to be a new approach to the practice by LEOs.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2016, 09:56:30 AM »
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/07/06/police-officer-involved-shooting-in-falcon-heights/

Guy is killed by cops after telling them he has a permit and is carrying.

Seems to be a case of carrying while black.

Badgelickers blaming the victim are already all over Facebook.

and cop haters, with zero information, are already all over FB, blaming the cops.  The fellow did not have a CCW.  He was pulled because he fit the exact description of a recent armed robber.  Of course, when you are agenda driven, facts mean nothing.

and snopes has no credibility.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2016, 10:13:42 AM »
and cop haters, with zero information, are already all over FB, blaming the cops.  The fellow did not have a CCW.  He was pulled because he fit the exact description of a recent armed robber.  Of course, when you are agenda driven, facts mean nothing.

and snopes has no credibility.

How did you confirm he had no CCW?

Did you read the snopes piece?  The photos speak for themselves

Looks to me like a lot of the demonisation of this poor guy is agenda driven as much as anything else.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2016, 10:46:51 AM »
At the risk of veering from the "bad cop / good cop" direction...  =D

I do find it interesting that whether any of us think the cop was in the right or in the wrong, this did make me really notice one common theme on the left. If a cop shoots someone (especially of a popular ethnicity), the left blames the cop. If anyone else shoots someone, the left blames the gun. Even though in this case the driver had a gun (whether legal or illegal), I'm not seeing much "The gun! The gun!" from the left.

They seem to be able to separate the inanimate object from the act when it suits them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
I do find it interesting that whether any of us think the cop was in the right or in the wrong, this did make me really notice one common theme on the left. If a cop shoots someone (especially of a popular ethnicity), the left blames the cop. If anyone else shoots someone, the left blames the gun. Even though in this case the driver had a gun (whether legal or illegal), I'm not seeing much "The gun! The gun!" from the left.

They seem to be able to separate the inanimate object from the act when it suits them.

That's a very incisive observation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zahc

• friend
Re:
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2016, 11:49:34 AM »

Like those old hispanic ladies and white males that got their car shot up because they lookied so much like Chris Dorner.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2016, 11:57:29 AM »
They're also good at blaming "hateful right-wing rhetoric" for crimes committed by Democrats, and ignoring the "pig-killing" rhetoric of BLM.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2016, 02:19:28 PM »
They're also good at blaming "hateful right-wing rhetoric" for crimes committed by Democrats, and ignoring the "pig-killing" rhetoric of BLM.

You realize that works both ways right? We don't accept that Claire Wolfe et al drove Tim McVeigh to bomb OKC, but are convinced Obama is behind Dallas.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2016, 02:46:54 PM »
You realize that works both ways right? We don't accept that Claire Wolfe et al drove Tim McVeigh to bomb OKC, but are convinced Obama is behind Dallas.

In fairness, Wolfe has specifically stated "Don't shoot the bastards (yet)."
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2016, 03:01:03 PM »

You should be careful. At the same time, making a small mistake in choreography of your movements should not be a death sentence.

Every single state, including the very anti-gun ones, has some form of legal carry now. Mere possession of a gun is not a valid reason for a police officer to kill someone.

If you can tell me how I can know when I match the description of someone wanted, I'd love to hear it.

The fellow did not have a CCW.  He was pulled because he fit the exact description of a recent armed robber.  Of course, when you are agenda driven, facts mean nothing.
He did have a permit. Minnesota has 87 counties, you can apply for a permit at any county sheriff. One sheriff saying he didn't apply there means absolutely nothing. A poster on a police forum said he had a permit issued in Hennepin county.

Unless you have access to MN police databases you have absolutely no way to confirm he had no permit.

The robbery took place the day before. "exact description" was vague enough to cover 3/4 of black male population of the state.

Of course, when you are agenda driven, facts mean nothing.

I'm not seeing much "The gun! The gun!" from the left.

I have seen people literally saying "gun laws are killing black people"

Robert A Heinlein

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2016, 03:51:23 PM »

It's actually quite one-sided. BLM parades through the streets saying things like "What do we want? Dead cops!" We don't hear things like that, directed toward anyone, at Tea Parties, or from Rush Limbaugh, or from Fox News. Besides, Claire Wolfe? She's not exactly as high-profile as Black Lives Matter, or the afore-mentioned right-wingers.