Author Topic: Correct firearms usage in reporting still exists!  (Read 2935 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Correct firearms usage in reporting still exists!
« on: December 06, 2006, 11:43:53 AM »

(A duplicate of a post I made over at THR. -Brad)
-----------------------------------------------

A local reporter actually uses correct terminology in a story.  Not only that, it's actually objective and apolitical! I almost fainted. The site requires registration so I've extracted the interesting parts.

From the Lubbock Avalanche Journal (12/06/2006)

Officer wounded as teen robber tries to escape
BY BETH AARON
AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

A Lubbock police officer was shot while trying to arrest two teenage robbery suspects early Tuesday morning. ...

...One officer looked through the window of the business and saw people inside the building with their hands raised and a robber wearing a ski mask and armed with gun.

One of the robbery suspects fired a shot inside the building, according to Hudgens. The bullet went through a chair and struck a video game. ...

...The teens were both wearing ski masks and dark clothing, according to Hudgens. One teen was armed with a semi-automatic pistol and the other with a silver revolver. ...

...As Matsik was searching the yard for the first teen, he saw a person about 15 feet away from him at 1910 Ave. P. The person fired one round at him, according to Hudgens.

Matsik, 32, who has been with the Lubbock police for almost six years, dove for cover and the person fired possibly as many as six more rounds at Matsik, wounding him in the left thigh. ...

...To comment on this story:

beth.aaron@lubbockonline.com 766-8713

brian.williams@lubbockonline.com 766-8717

This story first appeared on our Web site at 12:12 p.m. Tuesday.

LubbockOnline.com

I made it a point to contact Ms. Aaron and Mr. Williams to thank them for taking the time and effort to correctly and objectively refer to firearms.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Correct firearms usage in reporting still exists!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 11:53:57 AM »
Except for the silver revolver.  Smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 12:02:50 PM »
Except for the silver revolver.  Smiley

It's the bullets that are supposed to be silver in Lubbock.

And it was not a semi-automatic handgun.  It was an "assault pistol" while the revolver had to be a "9mm Saturday Nite Special".
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 12:11:02 PM »
I'm floored that they used the term "rounds" in proper context.

Heck, we can't even get gunnies to use 'clip' and 'magazine' correctly, so 'silver revolver' I can let slide.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 12:32:28 PM »
What's wrong with "silver revolver"?  Assuming the revolver really was a silver color, and not say black or gold or pink, what's the problem with the author saying so?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 12:55:28 PM »
Chrome and stainless are finishes (or materials).  They are both "silver(ish)" in color.

Nothing factually wrong with "silver (colored) revolver".
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 01:03:47 PM »
Might be OK, if it was actually silver-plated, but otherwise it simply isn't "silver."  The reporter should feel dumb for saying it was.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 01:05:16 PM »
The reporter should feel dumb for saying it was

As long as she get's everything but the color correct, I ain't tellin' her anything except "Thank You."

Brad
-HankB

Preacherman

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 03:48:11 PM »
Q:  What do you call a silver handgun?

A:  "My Preciousssssss!"

grin
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 04:35:10 AM »
Sorry, Brad, I'm just not impressed with the article.  Sounds to me like the reporter's sources had detailed information about the guns and how many rounds were fired, and he/she managed to copy it all into the story.   shocked  I also agree with Jeff Cooper that reporters shouldn't worry about the type of pistol used, and just report pistol, rifle, shotgun, etc. 

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 09:12:00 AM »
Sorry, Brad, I'm just not impressed with the article.  Sounds to me like the reporter's sources had detailed information about the guns and how many rounds were fired, and he/she managed to copy it all into the story.   shocked  I also agree with Jeff Cooper that reporters shouldn't worry about the type of pistol used, and just report pistol, rifle, shotgun, etc. 

Fistful, buddy, you need to get the pickle out (and open your eyes a little)...

You would rather they had used all the old tired cliche's and made the guns into some evil, horrible thing that was the cause of the even, rather than factually reporting it?  This is the kind of reporting we need.  So what if she just copied the story, at least she copied it accurately and didn't editorialize.  Getting on her case for it is not only totally counter-productive, it also puts you squarely into the stereotype for the gun owner the anti's love to write about. 

Personally, I'd prefer giving her a few pats on the back to encourage further accurate reporting and keeping her at least in the middle (if not on our side) rather than browbeating her and driving her solidly into the anti-gun reporter category.  We already have enough of those.  I don't want to be the root cause in the creation of one more.

Brad
-HankB