Author Topic: Three cops shot dead in Baton Rouge  (Read 5119 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Three cops shot dead in Baton Rouge
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2016, 03:11:36 PM »
What America needs to do is change the cultural feelings towards police of our poor minorities. Whether the absolute number of folks killed by police changes at all is irrelevant.

LOL.

It's an onion and you're now addressing something like the 18th result of the base problem.

Many black people have no respect for police because they are convinced that the police accost them for "no reason". The police give special attention to black people because the majority of violent crimes are done by young black males (and other, non-violent crimes have a disproportionate representation of black people committing them, as well.)

Black youth commit crimes because their culture glorifies criminality. Their culture glorifies criminality because there are few or no male authority figures within the life of black youth. Black male authority figures are absent because the black nuclear family was nuked (see what I did there?) in the 1960s. The black nuclear family was nuked because (1) Great Society rewarded women for having children out of wedlock with more benefits and (2) the concurrent Sexual Revolution convinced too many that sex is as meaningless as taking a walk in the park, and ought to be engaged in as often as possible with no concern for the consequences.

These, of course, were successful because Christian morals were denigrated as backwards and out of touch and part of what was holding humanity back. (Especially the sex part.)

So, ultimately, the only way to get respect for police officers is to replace the lost morality in this country. (It needs to be replaced with something that encourages hard work, thrift, and delayed gratification. If only there were some... philosophy or teachings of some kind.... that did that.)

Note, the white underclass, though proportionally smaller, suffers the exact same malaise and the solutions are the same.

Of course, I'm just a social conservative and, therefore, satan incarnate to the Democrats and the "fiscal conservatives".
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2016, 03:35:43 PM »
You can't be Satan my ex said I was. And you were barely born then (1979)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2016, 04:03:36 PM »
LOL.

It's an onion and you're now addressing something like the 18th result of the base problem.

Many black people have no respect for police because they are convinced that the police accost them for "no reason". The police give special attention to black people because the majority of violent crimes are done by young black males (and other, non-violent crimes have a disproportionate representation of black people committing them, as well.)

Black youth commit crimes because their culture glorifies criminality. Their culture glorifies criminality because there are few or no male authority figures within the life of black youth. Black male authority figures are absent because the black nuclear family was nuked (see what I did there?) in the 1960s. The black nuclear family was nuked because (1) Great Society rewarded women for having children out of wedlock with more benefits and (2) the concurrent Sexual Revolution convinced too many that sex is as meaningless as taking a walk in the park, and ought to be engaged in as often as possible with no concern for the consequences.

These, of course, were successful because Christian morals were denigrated as backwards and out of touch and part of what was holding humanity back. (Especially the sex part.)

So, ultimately, the only way to get respect for police officers is to replace the lost morality in this country. (It needs to be replaced with something that encourages hard work, thrift, and delayed gratification. If only there were some... philosophy or teachings of some kind.... that did that.)

Note, the white underclass, though proportionally smaller, suffers the exact same malaise and the solutions are the same.

Of course, I'm just a social conservative and, therefore, satan incarnate to the Democrats and the "fiscal conservatives".

I agree with you and dogmush. You, because I'm pretty socon myself about culture.

dogmush because even if there were steps that were taken to address the BLM concerns it wouldn't matter. Their concerns are emotional, not based on evidence but on the narrative they've adopted. Everything is seen through their "that's racist!" filter.

The next president should just ignore them and refuse to discuss race in any format except on his terms pushing his narrative. A has been said so many times before, the President has the power of the bully pulpit.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2016, 04:11:36 PM »
I would posit that it does not matter if there is a racial disparity in police shootingsaid. What matters is that there is a widespread impression of one, and people are acting (and acting out) on that impression.

I would further posit that no amount of white folks explaining, or studies full of academic rigor are likely to sway the demographics which hold and act upon impressions of disparity.

What America needs to do is change the cultural feelings towards police of our poor minorities. Whether the absolute number of folks killed by police changes at all is irrelevant.

That's what the boys from Harvard said.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2016, 05:14:15 PM »
LOL.

I'm no socon.

Just don't subsidize it and the behavior will largely correct itself quickly, inside of a generation. Whatever still goes on? Well, we wouldn't be paying for it. And the reduction of tax burden on the economy would make it much easier for those who make "poor life choices" but are at least so inclined as to make themselves useful in the labor market to afford the consequences of those choices.

I do think the whole #BLM movement has some legitimate beefs, but the officer involved shootings is just a flashpoint and an easy thing for them to focus on and grab attention. What has them truly unhappy in day-to-day policing revolves around the Statist Left who controls the majority of cities and urban areas they live in, and has done a good job of "criminalizing poverty" despite being the political side that's supposed to be "looking out for them". On a federal level, mandatory sentencing laws were signed in by our 2-for-1 co-Presidents Clinton back in the 90's. And it also goes back to the enforcement philosophies of the police chiefs who are picked by Statist Left city governments, and aren't given the latitude to ease up on picayune enforcement as a means of "warrant fishing" over things like cracked windshields, busted tail lights, and questionable auto registration, and working harder on actually "keeping the peace" instead of enforcing the law. And the "thin blue line" closing ranks over police misconduct, in part by police unions. Another offshoot of the American Left.

There is actually a golden opportunity for the Right to wedge in here, and address some of the angst from the perspective of "limited government". Sadly, it'll never happen, because the identity-politics lines are drawn too firmly now, there'd be no payoff in votes. (School choice/vouchers hasn't helped the GOP at all, despite the inner-city desire to have it, and how hard the Democrats fight it...) And the Right is just as invested in a law-and-order platform, and "police harder" mantra.

Sadly, Dallas was arguably the one major metro area where the department was trying hard to "do it right" and that made choosing them as a target particularly asinine.

I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2016, 06:07:38 PM »
...the identity-politics lines are drawn too firmly now...

True. The left (the press, BLM, the Dem party) has made this a racial issue, as if minorities are the only victims. Obviously, that doesn't exactly give white people any compelling reason to care about the issue. (Of course, some white people do care, for various reasons.)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2016, 06:17:11 PM »

True. The left (the press, BLM, the Dem party) has made this a racial issue, as if minorities are the only victims. Obviously, that doesn't exactly give white people any compelling reason to care about the issue. (Of course, some white people do care, for various reasons.)

Well, we know at least one, if not two or three, law-abiding white "good guys" here that got run through the wringer by the local po-po, and had some "You can beat the rap but not the ride" kind of experiences, so it indeed does happen.  =|

And yeah, #BLM is indeed just using this for their own purposes as a wedge issue too. Even as a bomb-chucking Libertarian/An-Cap/Minarchist I can see the ideas about banning the police, disarming the police, or "community based solutions to crime" is going to create a free-for-all that will see scores more black people dead, wounded, or victims of crime. Especially since the socio-economic/cultural problems of poor blacks, and not "institutional white racism" are at the root of black crime problems, both as perpetrators and victims and those aren't being addressed in a credible fashion first or at least simultaneously.

(there I go, victim-blaming, check my privilege...)

I do think that racism, profiling, unfair policing, or whatever does contribute in some ways, or makes things worse for them, and it definitely needs to be addressed, because as Americans we ultimately should put very high priority on "bad acts" committed by the State vs. "bad acts" committed by private individuals, but when digging into the root causes of poor urban black misery, it's a smaller contributor and "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" sort of thinking at this point in time.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2016, 06:40:25 PM »
Well, we know at least one, if not two or three, law-abiding white "good guys" here that got run through the wringer by the local po-po, and had some "You can beat the rap but not the ride" kind of experiences, so it indeed does happen.  =|

My point was the Left has discouraged the nation from seeing this as a problem for all of us, and insisted it is only a problem for them. BLM has made it clear that to deny the racial angle is (according to them) a form of racism.

Another interesting bit is that the BLM came to life just in the exact moment when accusations of white racism had been made laughable. Not because such racism doesn't exist, but because the race card has been so worn down and cheapened by silly accusations. "You disagree with Obama on healthcare - you're a racist!" "You said Obama has big ears - you're a racist!" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/16/lawrence-odonnell-condemn_n_823919.html

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2016, 12:35:57 PM »
My point was the Left has discouraged the nation from seeing this as a problem for all of us, and insisted it is only a problem for them. BLM has made it clear that to deny the racial angle is (according to them) a form of racism.

Sorry, I got your point. My reply probably didn't make that clear though.

Another interesting bit is that the BLM came to life just in the exact moment when accusations of white racism had been made laughable. Not because such racism doesn't exist, but because the race card has been so worn down and cheapened by silly accusations. "You disagree with Obama on healthcare - you're a racist!" "You said Obama has big ears - you're a racist!" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/16/lawrence-odonnell-condemn_n_823919.html

That is a good point. Doesn't even have to be a cynical deliberate decision on the part of someone. Not saying that isn't exactly what happened, but ideologies and "movements" kind of hunt around for relevance and traction all on their own, like a slime mold or whatnot.
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2016, 01:28:45 PM »
Just don't subsidize it and the behavior will largely correct itself quickly, inside of a generation.

You mean, of course, after the massive riots and social disorder, correct?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2016, 01:31:59 PM »

Part of the correction process.

Post-riot reconstruction can be considered a jobs creator.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Three cops shot dead in Baton Rouge
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2016, 02:15:53 PM »
Part of the correction process.

Post-riot reconstruction can be considered a jobs creator.
Features not bugs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2016, 05:01:16 PM »

That segues over to something that's been bothering me with my AnCap/Libertarian friends on FB who've been playing at trolling with pro-#BLM anti-cop arguments/memes to try and make cheap anti-Statist points, and engage in some chest-thumping over how ideologically pure they are.

I find it hypocritical because they know full well if Libertarian/AnCap America were to be fully realized, the cessation of welfare/benefits would wind up killing orders of magnitude more black people in riots, unrest, and self defense against crime sprees and looting etc. during the "adjustment period". Nor does it do much to acknowledge that the people with the "problem" are a direct result of dependance on the nanny-state as well.

Were I the magical/hypothetical Libertarian non-dictator of America, I'd at least specify a cut-off date when no additional assistance for additional children would be coming, and for a graduated taper in assistance before it was "zero" for everyone.

And of course having zero willingness to engage in anything other than absolutes, or look at anything from a stance of realpolitik is really just a hidden excuse to do nothing at all. Which is kind of pathetic in it's own way, because at least the people in the various professional grievance industries get some kind of payoff for it, besides stroking their own egos.
I promise not to duck.