Author Topic: Ted Cruz booed at convention  (Read 14280 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Ted Cruz booed at convention
« on: July 20, 2016, 10:24:24 PM »
Doesn't endorse Trump and says to vote your conscience.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/07/20/ted-cruz-vote-your-conscience/
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
Re: Ted Cruz booed at convention
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 10:26:55 PM »
2/3 of his speech was great . . . the other 1/3 . . . disappointing.

I expected better from him.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 10:36:48 PM »
2/3 of his speech was great . . . the other 1/3 . . . disappointing.

I expected better from him.

I didn't. IMHO he lived down to my expectations.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 10:47:57 PM »
Newt came out and tried his best to save it for Ted. ;)

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 10:49:25 PM »
Proof that my initial support for him was in fact misplaced.
I guess that pledge to support the eventual nominee, that all of them took, means nothing, much like the oath of office they take.
Cruz, Kasich and Bush are beneath contempt.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 10:55:52 PM »
What, exactly, did he pledge to do for the nominee?

So anyway, they wanted Cruz to buckle to the new establishment. And he didn't do it. Boy, what a disgrace.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 11:23:38 PM »
What, exactly, did he pledge to do for the nominee?

So anyway, they wanted Cruz to buckle to the new establishment. And he didn't do it. Boy, what a disgrace.

They all promised during an early debate to support the eventual nominee, except Trump,  who after creating a bit of a row over it, eventually did sign such a pledge.
I will leave it to others on this forum to assign whatever value they wish to such pledges....... [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 11:30:51 PM »
So, basically, what happened is he made a pledge in good faith long ago that he would be supporting someone tolerable for office, even if it wasn't him and when the intolerable person made the nomination, he couldn't go through with it?

wow... what a stinky rotten bastard  ;/
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 12:46:35 AM »
They all promised during an early debate to support the eventual nominee... [popcorn]

Yes, I remember that. It seems like a very vague thing to pledge to do. Is there a timeline? Is there a requirement to make an official endorsement?  

Are Trump supporters demanding obedience to the GOP leadership, now that Trump is leader of the party?  Has Cruz out-Trumped Trump?

Have thought about it for a few more minutes, I think the way to trump Trump would have been for Cruz to have declined to pledge his support in the first place. That was his mistake. He should have voted his conscience back then, and maybe siphoned off some of that Honey Badger vote.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 01:04:51 AM by fistful »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 01:49:39 AM »
Remind me not make a hand shake deal with any of you anti-Trump folks.
Ok, fine he was not willing to honor his pledge to actually support the eventual nominee, then just stay home, don't come out and try to undermine him.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 04:05:13 AM »
Morals and principles are complex

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re:
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 04:31:24 AM »

And Cruz just demonstrated a decided lack of character.

Samuel Adams

• friends
Re: Re:
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2016, 05:33:41 AM »
Endorsing trump woulda showed character? As opposed to telling the truth? How so?

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

De Selby

• friend
Re:
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 06:03:04 AM »

Especially when your main goal is to avoid a quote that might later force you to admit you took a position.

Have you ever read teds comments on immigration?  If all you read is what he said, it's literally impossible to tell what his position was.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

• friends
Re:
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 06:19:29 AM »
Which comments

De Selby

• friend
Re:
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 06:44:55 AM »
Which comments

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/cover_story/2016/01/ted_cruz_may_be_the_most_gifted_liar_ever_to_run_for_president.html

Second, Cruz got through the entire immigration fight without leaving any solid evidence that he was faking it. That’s remarkable. Last month, FactCheck.org asked Brian Phillips, a Cruz campaign spokesman, whether he could “point to any instances in which Cruz tipped his hand” that the 2013 legalization offer “was not a plan he [Cruz] actually proposed, but was a legislative strategy to make a point.” Phillips said he couldn’t. “We were not trying to let on our legislative strategy,” Phillips explained. But Cruz’s 2013 record is so pristine, so perfectly devoid of nods and winks, that it’s impossible to know what his real game was. And that’s what sets Cruz apart. Lots of politicians lie. Cruz did something more impressive. He talked and talked and still managed to leave himself both options: to deny in the future that his amendments were sincere, or to claim that they were.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 06:56:29 AM »
Trump partisans upset that another candidate flip-flopped. Priceless.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 06:59:04 AM »
Trump partisans upset that another candidate flip-flopped. Priceless.

Agreeing to speak at an event to appoint the new candidate for president and then slagging him off?

I'm thinking Trump called this one best:  "He holds up the bible, and he lies"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 07:04:23 AM »
Trump partisans upset that another candidate flip-flopped. Still priceless.

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 07:11:15 AM »
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/cover_story/2016/01/ted_cruz_may_be_the_most_gifted_liar_ever_to_run_for_president.html
Your boy has peculiar way of proving his point
 But Cruz and his aides insist that he never explicitly embraced legalization. And they’re right.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 07:40:47 AM »
Endorsing trump woulda showed character? As opposed to telling the truth? How so?

If he wasn't willing to stand up, man up and accept the terms of the pledge to support the eventual nominee then he shouldn't have made it.
Sucks out loud that the tactic that the establishment crowd intended to use against Trump came back and bit them in the ass but that's the way it is.

Trump gave Cruz a prime time slot for his backstabbing speech. If Cruz was unwilling/unable to support and endorse the duly nominated RNC candidate then he should have declined the invitation. That I could have respected some.

Ever make a bet or a handshake agreement with someone then the other party backs out of the deal because it backfired on them or welshes on a bet when they lose?
What character or principles are involved there?

Samuel Adams

• friends
Re:
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 07:46:50 AM »
Did folk forget this
http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/29/politics/donald-trump-ted-cruz-nominee-pledge/

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re:
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 07:49:14 AM »

To the contrary -- I think he showed us very clearly exactly what his character is. And it isn't pretty.  He didn't have to "endorse" Trump. He could have used his speech to just remind everyone that the focus should be on keeping Hillary out of the White House. Not only did he renege on his pledge to support to party's nominee, he used his speech to tell his supporters to vote against the party nominee. He deserved every boo he got.

He should be booted out of the party.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2016, 07:49:51 AM »
Trump admitted he saw Cruz's speech two hours prior and let him speak anyway.

Think about that...... [tinfoil]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re:
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2016, 07:51:16 AM »

Samuel Adams