Author Topic: Ted Cruz booed at convention  (Read 14281 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Re: Ted Cruz booed at convention
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2016, 04:59:12 PM »
As for third party purist zero probability of winning voting, that is properly known as "peter pan  voting."

Speaking (okay, "writing") as someone who has voted third party in more than two previous presidential elections, I would offer a correction: This year, a third party zero probability of winning vote is more properly known as "Hillary voting."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2016, 05:09:35 PM »
Speaking (okay, "writing") as someone who has voted third party in more than two previous presidential elections, I would offer a correction: This year, a third party zero probability of winning vote is more properly known as "Hillary voting."

https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/727849437339353088
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Ted Cruz booed at convention
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2016, 02:30:11 PM »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2016, 02:41:10 PM »
Vote your conscience.  If your conscience tells you Trump, then vote for him.  If it tells you otherwise, then vote for that person.  I fail to understand why this a kerfluffle. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2016, 02:44:06 PM »
Vote your conscience.  If your conscience tells you Trump, then vote for him.  If it tells you otherwise, then vote for that person.  I fail to understand why this a kerfluffle. 

Because he didn't scream vote Trump/Pence.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2016, 02:51:10 PM »

"vote your conscience" has been the mantra of the #nevertrump crowd.

For all practical purposes he might as well as said "I'm with Bush, Romney and Kasich!"
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2016, 03:34:37 PM »
So we are unhappy with most democrats, because no matter what they have said or done, they will rally around and defend their candidate.  Yet when there are actually members of the republicans that say "I cannot, in good conscience, vote for this candidate", everyone screams bloody murder?

Got it.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2016, 03:36:38 PM »

Because, no matter what anybody else disagrees on, we're all pretty unanimous on NOT wanting Hillary. And that kind of creates one helluva game-theory "Prisoner's Dilemma" situation for the electorate.  =|
I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2016, 09:28:31 AM »
He said "Vote your conscience" when he should have said "Forget all the rightful misgivings you have about Donald Trump and suck it up and vote for him! Because he's TOTALLY trustworthy not Hillary!"

FTFY.

That's all it would have taken. But, NOOOOOOOOooooooo

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2016, 10:09:32 AM »
So we are unhappy with most democrats, because no matter what they have said or done, they will rally around and defend their candidate.  Yet when there are actually members of the republicans that say "I cannot, in good conscience, vote for this candidate", everyone screams bloody murder?

Got it.

We also have people getting in a lather about third party and write-in votes being, "a vote for Hillary". The electorate is pretty divided, and the establishment on the other side is getting in a lather about third party and write-in votes being, "a vote for Trump".

So in the end, those on either side worried about people voting their conscience should consider it a wash. The bonus (for me) would be to see the combined third party and write-in percentage be higher than the percentage for either Clinton or Trump.

One of them is going to get it, but if everyone actually voted their conscience, especially this time around with the low approval for both candidates, the high number of votes for all the people not them would absolutely send a strong message.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2016, 10:44:51 AM »
One of them is going to get it, but if everyone actually voted their conscience, especially this time around with the low approval for both candidates, the high number of votes for all the people not them would absolutely send a strong message.

Which won't be received anyhow.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2016, 11:21:27 PM »
I already know my vote doesn't count.  I'm in Illinois.  And the last time Illinois went R was in 1988 for Bush I. 

However, I would love to see the election thrown into the House and all the media outlets screaming "Constitutional Crisis !!!!"  When the constitution clearly delineates the process.

It would be great theater...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2016, 01:14:56 AM »
I already know my vote doesn't count.  I'm in Illinois.  And the last time Illinois went R was in 1988 for Bush I. 

However, I would love to see the election thrown into the House and all the media outlets screaming "Constitutional Crisis !!!!"  When the constitution clearly delineates the process.

It would be great theater...

Majority GOP Congress = Bush III: Revenge of the Stiff
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2016, 02:35:57 AM »

No. If this is the best we can get to lead our country, then we deserve to burn. I am not voting for the lesser of two evils. That's what got us here in the first place.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2016, 03:48:50 AM »
It's starting to get real interesting. lol

And... if you think the cruz speech wasn't orchestrated with the approval and design of the trump campaign, you're delusional

It's all smoke and mirrors.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2016, 05:31:39 AM »

And... if you think the cruz speech wasn't orchestrated with the approval and design of the trump campaign, you're delusional

Orchestrated?  Might be a bit of a stretch.  Seems much more likely with the level of hate for trump that the RNC let Cruz do the "I'll pull out or speak on this" trick
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2016, 10:43:45 AM »

Orchestration would mean that Trump people participated in writing the speech. Not likely. I'll go along with the "giving him enough rope to hang himself" bit (and he seems to have done so very effectively), but I don't think it was "orchestrated" by the Trump camp.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2016, 10:13:42 PM »
Orchestration would mean that Trump people participated in writing the speech. Not likely. I'll go along with the "giving him enough rope to hang himself" bit (and he seems to have done so very effectively), but I don't think it was "orchestrated" by the Trump camp.
I don't think Cruz hung himself or anything of the kind.  Trump supporters didn't like him before and they don't like him now (Surprise!!).  He didn't attack Trump and Trump was big enough to not try to stop him from saying what he said.  IMO, both came out ahead.  Also, Cruz at least had the decency to show up at the convention unlike all the other establishment types.  

If anyone is hanging themselves, it is Trump supporters making such a big deal about this.  As before, be good winners and act like your guy won the nomination.  Focus on the actual opponent in the next election rather than continuing to fight the last one.  

For me, my other Texas Senator is John Cornyn and I will take Cruz any day of the week over that guy.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Pb

• friend
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2016, 10:00:28 AM »

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #94 on: July 25, 2016, 11:41:58 AM »
Trump really is a piece of excrement.

It could be worse ...... he could be on the Democrat ticket. :angel: [popcorn] :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2016, 11:59:12 AM »
And still use same material

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2016, 12:09:51 PM »
I don't think Cruz hung himself or anything of the kind.  Trump supporters didn't like him before and they don't like him now (Surprise!!).  He didn't attack Trump and Trump was big enough to not try to stop him from saying what he said.  IMO, both came out ahead.  Also, Cruz at least had the decency to show up at the convention unlike all the other establishment types.  

If anyone is hanging themselves, it is Trump supporters making such a big deal about this.  As before, be good winners and act like your guy won the nomination.  Focus on the actual opponent in the next election rather than continuing to fight the last one.  

For me, my other Texas Senator is John Cornyn and I will take Cruz any day of the week over that guy.  

"Trump supporters didn't like him before"

The part you wrote that I put in bold font is untrue.  Poll after poll indicated that Trump supporters' favorite alternative to Trump (IOW, their #2 pick) was Cruz.  Cruz's self-defenestration onstage was just his latest forced error WRT Trump supporters who (had & may have still) viewed him positively.  Cruz has needlessly alienated folks who were willing to pivot to him in the primaries and were highly likely to in the future.

It turns out that the Trump campaign did its best to throw gasoline on Cruz's self-immolation:

Halfway through the week, the media had already decided this would go in the books as the Plagiarism and Scott Baio convention. The turn came when Trump and his campaign supremo Paul Manafort, who had been dickering behind the scenes with Ted Cruz about the Texas senator’s much-awaited Wednesday night speech, managed to turn Ted’s dislike to its advantage. What looked like it was going to be a stinging rebuke became a glistening glob of golden honey on Trump’s toast.

Manafort couldn’t convince Cruz to give an endorsement, but he knew exactly what Cruz was going to say. We all did. The entire transcript was sent out to the media before Cruz started speaking. There would be only one mention of Trump and it would be as frosty as the maniacal air conditioning that chilled the Q. “I want to congratulate Donald Trump on winning the nomination last night” was as far as Cruz would go. So Manafort and Co. decided, before the speech even started, that it would end with heckling. (Time magazine and other sources reported as much, citing anonymous sources. Manafort evidently tipped off Bloomberg reporter Mark Halperin, who Tweeted before the speech, “@PaulManafort owns the floor. Will be key at several moments tonight. Watch what @tedcruz says & the reaction.”
As Cruz approached the end, Cruz’s campaign manager Jeff Roe said on a Philadelphia radio show, the “active whip operation got active.” The New York delegates were whipped up by Team Trump to interrupt Cruz with shouts of “We want Trump,” finally booing him off the stage. Cruz, in portraying himself as the man of principle, looked like a louse on a skunk.

It was a genius move by Manafort that pulled off three astonishing tricks: for the media, which thinks of itself as a relentless detective agency discovering for the people’s benefit the “unscripted moments” that reveal everything, it gave them a perfectly crafted scene they over-hyped because they didn’t know it was staged. For the public, it gave them a new and irresistible reason to watch, in huge numbers, Trump’s speech the following night. And for Trump, it made him, for once, the innocent wronged victim instead of the bully — in the parlance of the professional wrestling shows that Trump used to participate in, the “heel” had become the “face.” That certified smartypants Cruz — Princeton ‘92, Harvard Law ‘95 — essentially blew himself up on live TV was for Manafort and Trump merely an amusing side benefit.

Cruz has provided the archetype for the smarty-pants who got himself pantsed by a less smart but more wise/wiley opponent.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2016, 05:48:50 PM »
"Trump supporters didn't like him before"

The part you wrote that I put in bold font is untrue.  Poll after poll indicated that Trump supporters' favorite alternative to Trump (IOW, their #2 pick) was Cruz.  Cruz's self-defenestration onstage was just his latest forced error WRT Trump supporters who (had & may have still) viewed him positively.  Cruz has needlessly alienated folks who were willing to pivot to him in the primaries and were highly likely to in the future.

It turns out that the Trump campaign did its best to throw gasoline on Cruz's self-immolation:

Cruz has provided the archetype for the smarty-pants who got himself pantsed by a less smart but more wise/wiley opponent.

I heard that also, but a lot of the commentary I saw once the race was Cruz vs Trump did not reflect that.  Maybe that was just a few people on the internet. 

At this point, Cruz supporters can either stay home or vote Trump.  I am hoping most go ahead and do the latter.  The worst case risks of a Trump Presidency are still better than Hilary. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge