Poll

Can a speech by a candidate change your vote?

Yes
2 (6.1%)
Sometimes (Please explain)
4 (12.1%)
Never
11 (33.3%)
I like pie
16 (48.5%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Can a speech by a candidate change your vote?  (Read 1662 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Can a speech by a candidate change your vote?
« on: July 22, 2016, 10:49:32 AM »
I've been seeing lots of reactions from both the left and right to Donald Trump's speech last night.

The left showed some fear (see Sally Kohn) and some on the right are saying that it really impressed them and that they can now vote for Mr. Trump.

I'm unmoved. A speech is good, but it's a show. I'm very glad Mr. Trump can talk a good game, when he chooses to, but nothing about his character and background have changed. I still am left without any means of testing his sincerity. (For example, I'm pretty sure Tom Cruise could give a very impassioned speech... and I'd still have no idea what he really thinks.)

I'm the same on Rubio- the man can give a good speech. He's shown he's a traitor, though, and unless he provides concrete action to show he has changed, I will not trust him.

So, to APS, is a speech enough to change your mind on a candidate?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Can a speech by a candidate change your vote?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 10:57:02 AM »
No - with enough coaching even I could give a kick ass political speech and I'm not articulate at all. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 11:04:06 AM »
Depends on how much I already know about the candidate. First impressions and stuff.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 11:10:41 AM »
A speech in of itself won't change my mind.  It may however have me look closer at someone and do more research if I didn't already know the individual.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 11:39:21 AM »
Depends on how much I already know about the candidate. First impressions and stuff.
Yea, pretty much this.

Earlier, when Jeb Bush was running, he gave a speech or two I thought was a real powerhouse.   I was quite impressed with it and thought ....maybe ...maybe, if he keeps this up, he can overcome the "sick&tired of the Bushes" syndrome and make a go of it.
But he fizzled out.  Ho hum.  Just as well  I guess.
Also, as we know, a great speech doesn't mean he'll follow through ....or even that if he does, the congress will entertain his agenda.   There's a lot of "what ifs..." there.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 11:50:21 AM »
Yes, though almost never in favor of that candidate.  Heard plenty of candidates say stuff that got me to vote for their opponent...or occasionally none of the above.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 11:58:02 AM »
I really really try and focus on what they have done, are doing and who they surround themselves with in work and play.

Speeches are a powerful form of influence and propaganda. A candidate can get up there and effectively spread pretty lies and influence people or set narratives. Even if he gets called out on it after the fact the damage will have been done often.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 12:56:53 PM »
I've read a LOT of political commentators today, all of whom seem to be in lock step agreement that Trump's speech was "dark" and pessimistic, thereby proving (to them) that he shouldn't be president.

I think the whole crew are in denial -- and in the tank for Hillary. Trump is telling the country nothing they don't already know -- we have a crime problem, we have a terrorism problem, we have an economy problem, we have an immigration problem. The fact that the media hated his speech is just proof to me that he's on the right track.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 02:40:19 PM »
I've read a LOT of political commentators today, all of whom seem to be in lock step agreement that Trump's speech was "dark" and pessimistic, thereby proving (to them) that he shouldn't be president.

I think the whole crew are in denial -- and in the tank for Hillary. Trump is telling the country nothing they don't already know -- we have a crime problem, we have a terrorism problem, we have an economy problem, we have an immigration problem. The fact that the media hated his speech is just proof to me that he's on the right track.

I think it's been pretty previous for a time the media has been "in the tank"  for Hillary.   Rush Limbaugh has been preaching the media has been having an apoplexy over Trump's "full of hate" speech.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 02:48:25 PM »
A speech in of itself won't change my mind.  It may however have me look closer at someone and do more research if I didn't already know the individual.

This.

Or it may cause me to not support that candidate and look elsewhere.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 03:35:22 PM »
This.

Or it may cause me to not support that candidate and look elsewhere.

What he said.  I have listed to speeches and walked away, so to speak, from a candidate as a result of what he/she said.  Mainly at the local level.  And, also at the local and state level, I have listed to a speech and decided to look further into a candidate.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 03:48:36 PM »
Yea, pretty much this.

Earlier, when Jeb Bush was running, he gave a speech or two I thought was a real powerhouse.   I was quite impressed with it and thought ....maybe ...maybe, if he keeps this up, he can overcome the "sick&tired of the Bushes" syndrome and make a go of it.
But he fizzled out.  Ho hum.  Just as well  I guess.
Also, as we know, a great speech doesn't mean he'll follow through ....or even that if he does, the congress will entertain his agenda.   There's a lot of "what ifs..." there.

Please clap...

Sorry, was that mean?  =D

Anyway, a speech isn't too likely to influence me, other than perhaps as seeing their suitability to sway or impress those who are going to be changed by speeches or presentation.

I'm much more of a policy/platform guy... well in the case of Trump, if I can actually find/understand one. And I'm also swayed by the people a candidate is networking with, or placing around them in the campaign and as advisors.

Which frankly is the best thing I've seen about Trump so far. Pence as VP is "good" insomuch as wondering what kind of off the wall 'tarded pick Trump could have made. And on the econ side, he's working with mainstream conservative Austrian School/Supply Siders at least. And his SCOTUS list was actually dang good. Sykes as a woman and conservative/originalist would really P.O. the Left, almost as bad as Thomas did..., and on the circuit level, she's delivered great things for RKBA vs. Chicago etc.

The only thing I know for sure is I'm voting against Clinton. What exactly that will mean come Nov. 1 is still up for grabs.

I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 09:08:40 PM »
The better they speak, the more I am disinclined to like them, too be honest.

I appreciate it when they are well spoken and articulate, but the more charisma, the less I trust them.

I'd rather base my vote on what they have done and how they present themselves when off stage.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 11:26:49 PM »
(see Sally Kohn)

Topic drift: some of the replies to Kohn's tweet are hilarious.

No, speeches don't sway me one way or the other.  I look at a candidate's track record.  Acts, not words.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 12:20:40 AM »
The better they speak, the more I am disinclined to like them, too be honest.

I appreciate it when they are well spoken and articulate, but the more charisma, the less I trust them.

I'd rather base my vote on what they have done and how they present themselves when off stage.
Agreed.  I tend to distrust salesmen and people that seem to be trying to sell me something.  Also when politicians speak a lot of words, but say very little which is most political speech these days.  I would rather they say nothing at all.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2016, 01:25:07 AM »
These days, the expectations are so low, simply speaking some truth is enough to put a candidate leaps and bounds ahead of the mainstream.

So yeah, a speech can definitely shake things up if the candidate addresses reality for a change.

P.S. I'll take some of that pie if it is fresh.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2016, 01:46:58 AM »

P.S. I'll take some of that pie if it is fresh.

Depends on the pie. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zb1qsVqjwg

bob

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 09:48:45 AM »
No. Actions speak louder than words.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 09:56:02 AM »

Depends on the pie. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zb1qsVqjwg

bob

Hmm, I thought only cows made pies  :laugh:
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 12:02:45 PM »
How would this conversation differ, if we were discussing Cruz's convention speech?  [popcorn]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 12:13:22 PM »
How would this conversation differ, if we were discussing Cruz's convention speech?  [popcorn]

Heh.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton