Author Topic: Want to Commit a Crime and Get Away with It?  (Read 566 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Want to Commit a Crime and Get Away with It?
« on: July 30, 2016, 10:38:10 AM »
Do it in Yellowstone. Interesting premise, and it has a few caveats, but interesting from the "strict adherence to the constitution" point of view.

I'd love to hear what our APS legal beagles think:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/article/83439/perfect-crime-may-be-possible-yellowstone-park?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Partner&utm_campaign=atlasobscura
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Want to Commit a Crime and Get Away with It?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 02:10:28 PM »
So when the courts release the murderer, the cops just take him to that part of the park and kill him.  They can't be prosecuted either.

I guess there are likely murderers out there walking free due to other legal loopholes.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Want to Commit a Crime and Get Away with It?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 02:55:45 PM »
So when the courts release the murderer, the cops just take him to that part of the park and kill him.  They can't be prosecuted either.

Yes, they can. They would have hatched the plan in a jurisdiction where they could be tried. To fit the loophole, the murder would pretty much have to be a spontaneous act of passion.

The take-away, for me:

“But I don’t think the blame lies with the person who discovered a problem, wrote something 11 years ago, and has been trying to get it fixed ever since. It would lie with a system that doesn’t take things seriously until it’s too late.

That's all too true, all across the U.S.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design