Author Topic: Dad wants a guitar, I know almost nothing about them  (Read 4578 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Dad wants a guitar, I know almost nothing about them
« on: August 03, 2016, 04:26:30 PM »
excerpt from an email my mom sent me:

"Your dad has been talking about wanting a guitar.  I want to get him one for his birthday and whatever he will need to learn to play.  I am not sure his tremors will let him but it will be something to help him pass the time.  I have looked on Amazon and they have prices ranging from about 39 dollars up into the hundreds.   He wants a guitar for less than $100.   I know absolutely nothing about them.  Would you have time to check out some for me and if you think you have the right stuff order it and I will send you a check.  I would like to surprise him for his birthday."

He'll be 86 in about 4 weeks.  Any suggestions?  (an acoustic guitar)  ;)

ETA: what about this one? https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Acoustic-Strings-Instructional-Polishing/dp/B0092V7WJ0/ref=zg_bs_11971261_1
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re:
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 06:05:58 PM »
Generally,  you get what you pay for with guitars.

Your link looks like a good $140 guitar,  but it's still going to sound like a $140 guitar. 

So,  if you're going to buy a cheap guitar,  that's fine,  but even Santana can't make it sound like a Martin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Dad wants a guitar, I know almost nothing about them
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 07:56:32 PM »
There's a Youtube video of Eric Clapton playing a $200 Squier electric guitar, and it sounds great.

For that budget, you should consider buying used, and get someone who knows guitars to go with you to check it out. You could probably get a guitar that sold new for $300 for $140.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 10:22:06 PM »
There's a Youtube video of Eric Clapton playing a $200 Squier electric guitar, and it sounds great.

For that budget, you should consider buying used, and get someone who knows guitars to go with you to check it out. You could probably get a guitar that sold new for $300 for $140.

I like that idea but I don't think there's any way to make it work.  Maybe if I knew someone up here I could find a used guitar and ship it...  I'm in Minnesota and they are in Texas, and my mom doesn't drive.
"It's good, though..."

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 11:57:58 PM »
If your dad is looking to have a little fun learning to play, I wouldn't expect the sound quality of an inexpensive guitar to be a big deal. Getting him anything would be fun for passing the time.

What would be a big deal is how easy it is to play... Whatever you end up getting, is there a way you/your mom could have a guitar shop check the action and setup the guitar? The action is how high the strings are above the frets, and it's controlled by the neck angle, nut, and saddle. You want to action just high enough so that the strings don't buzz on the frets for how vigorously one plays. In my experience, the action on inexpensive guitars can be inconsistent... some have actions appropriately low and are easy to play right out of the box, and other have actions which are very high and very difficult and painful to play.

See points #6 and #7: http://www.tunedinguitarlessons.com/8-factors-every-beginning-guitarist-should-consider-before-purchasing-their-first-guitar/
Andy

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 07:44:08 AM »
Fitz to the white courtesy phone....Fitz to the white courtesy phone.

Fitz is in Texas and might be willing to help you.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 01:04:23 PM »
"For that budget, you should consider buying used, and get someone who knows guitars to go with you to check it out. You could probably get a guitar that sold new for $300 for $140. "

"If your dad is looking to have a little fun learning to play, I wouldn't expect the sound quality of an inexpensive guitar to be a big deal. Getting him anything would be fun for passing the time.

What would be a big deal is how easy it is to play... Whatever you end up getting, is there a way you/your mom could have a guitar shop check the action and setup the guitar? The action is how high the strings are above the frets, and it's controlled by the neck angle, nut, and saddle. You want to action just high enough so that the strings don't buzz on the frets for how vigorously one plays. In my experience, the action on inexpensive guitars can be inconsistent... some have actions appropriately low and are easy to play right out of the box, and other have actions which are very high and very difficult and painful to play."

^^^ These are accurate, IMO.  Especially getting a good setup. Even cheap guitars these days are pretty good, compared to 30 years ago- CNC plus cheap hand labor in china go a long way.....

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 01:20:54 PM »
Can the action be adjusted?  I've heard good things (on the Internet from unknown sources) about the Squier SA-105's.  If I order one of those, could a local luthier in Houston (do they still call themselves that?) tune it up?  Will that tuneup cost more that the guitar?

I'll see if any shops here in MN sell them.  It would be best to get it restrung and adjusted by the shop where I buy it, before taking delivery.  Then I can ship it to TX.

Easiest thing by far would be to order one from Amazon; that takes care of a lot of the logistics. 
"It's good, though..."

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 09:07:21 AM »
He may do better with a smaller instrument- that  Squier SA-105 appears to be a "dreadnaught" style body and quite large.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 09:50:12 AM »
He may do better with a smaller instrument- that  Squier SA-105 appears to be a "dreadnaught" style body and quite large.

That too. There are a lot of parlor styles which sound quite good and are much easier to get one's arm around than a dreadnought.
Andy

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 10:47:56 AM »
That too. There are a lot of parlor styles which sound quite good and are much easier to get one's arm around than a dreadnought.

I assumed he'd want a full-sized because he's very tall and has long arms.  He will be playing seated, so maybe that makes a difference.

I need to goto a local music shop where I've bought instruments before.  (since I'm already a customer, I don't feel bad about wasting their time and then maybe ordering online)  Get their advice and handle a few myself.
"It's good, though..."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 12:32:17 PM »
I'm a fan of Fender's acoustic-electrics. I bought a California series T-bucket-300 for about 299 brand new. Something like that, a few years old, should be within the price range

Stick with Fender, Epiphone, etc. Don't buy the weird ass off brands.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2016, 01:26:52 PM »
I'm a fan of Fender's acoustic-electrics. I bought a California series T-bucket-300 for about 299 brand new. Something like that, a few years old, should be within the price range

Stick with Fender, Epiphone, etc. Don't buy the weird ass off brands.

That includes Fender's Squier series too, right?
"It's good, though..."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 01:30:03 PM »
That includes Fender's Squier series too, right?

I've had great experiences with Squiers in general for the price.

In fact, I still have my nearly 20 year old Squier California Strat. Other than cut-rate electronics (which have all been replaced) and a bridge of questionable ancestry, it's a great guitar.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 07:39:29 PM »
Let me ask, as I am also interested in learning how to play guitar,  how much of a part does the quality of the guitar impact one's learning curve?  I know that in some things,  like shooting,  a good quality firearm is important.   Crap gun means unreliable function,  poor accuracy,  and a more difficult learning experience.   Does that hold true for guitars as well?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 07:52:06 PM »
Let me ask, as I am also interested in learning how to play guitar,  how much of a part does the quality of the guitar impact one's learning curve?  I know that in some things,  like shooting,  a good quality firearm is important.   Crap gun means unreliable function,  poor accuracy,  and a more difficult learning experience.   Does that hold true for guitars as well?

IMO, a quality guitar will make you want to play more, and make you sound better.

Crap guitars go out of tune, don't sound as good, have questionable fretting qualities.

That said, I count Lower cost epiphones and much of the squire line as "quality".

A decent epiphone that costs a few hundred bucks new will be perfectly fine for learning.

However. Once one has some skill.... then it makes a greater difference. Kinda like if you hand a brand new shooter vs a competition shooter a race gun...

I spent almost 2 grand on my custom Carvin. It was literally built with every piece exactly the way I wanted it. That guitar is just flat out EASIER to play, EASIER to make sound good, etc. But I don't think I would have noticed the difference earlier.

Basically, a new guitarist's lack of skill will overcome any playability advantage a super nice instrument has.

There's also some real diamonds in the rough as well. Prestige guitars makes a VERY inexpensive (by comparison) les paul clone. And I beliee it to be a vastly superior guitar to Gibson's own standard les paul. And it's cheaper. Same with Carvin. Carvin CT6 is a BETTER PRS at a lower cost, again YMMV.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 06:19:22 PM »
What do y'all think of this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jasmine-s-34c-cutaway-acoustic-guitar  It's one of the few guitars that has *no* negative reviews.  Grand orchestra sized, and it's just within the budget I was given (I was planning to go over-budget and pay the difference myself)

My daughter lives pretty close to Heights Guitar Tech in Houston.  She could take it there and get it restrung and the action adjusted, etc.  Fitz, do you know anything about them?  They got a pretty good write-up in The Houston Press last year.

Preacher's kid has a Ovation "Applause" acoustic-electric that he's selling with a hard case (worth almost as much as the guitar) for $60.  I know that's a steal, but I don't think my dad would like it with the round plastic "Lyrachord" back, the electronics, and the black top.  If it had a "natural" or tobacco colored top it would probably be okay.  I emailed my mom and she agreed that it wouldn't look "traditional" enough.

I'm gonna stop by a local guitar shop on the way home and I'm supposed to ask for Steve.
"It's good, though..."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 06:38:13 PM »
What do y'all think of this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jasmine-s-34c-cutaway-acoustic-guitar  It's one of the few guitars that has *no* negative reviews.  Grand orchestra sized, and it's just within the budget I was given (I was planning to go over-budget and pay the difference myself)

My daughter lives pretty close to Heights Guitar Tech in Houston.  She could take it there and get it restrung and the action adjusted, etc.  Fitz, do you know anything about them?  They got a pretty good write-up in The Houston Press last year.

Preacher's kid has a Ovation "Applause" acoustic-electric that he's selling with a hard case (worth almost as much as the guitar) for $60.  I know that's a steal, but I don't think my dad would like it with the round plastic "Lyrachord" back, the electronics, and the black top.  If it had a "natural" or tobacco colored top it would probably be okay.  I emailed my mom and she agreed that it wouldn't look "traditional" enough.

I'm gonna stop by a local guitar shop on the way home and I'm supposed to ask for Steve.

at that price it's hard to go wrong. Not one of the brands I recognize, but that doesn't mean it's not gonna be a good starter axe. I say get it.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 04:12:19 PM »
at that price it's hard to go wrong. Not one of the brands I recognize, but that doesn't mean it's not gonna be a good starter axe. I say get it.

Ordered it today, and having it shipped to my parents' PO box where my brother will pick it up.  I found out last night that Jasmine is made by (or made for) Takamine. 
Thanks for the help. :)
"It's good, though..."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 07:01:04 PM »
I've got a Taka - absolutely love it.   Good action, beautiful tone, and pretty good electronics for the price - if the Jasmine has any of the quality of the Taka's, it should be a great guitar.

This thread reminds me that I need to find time to get back in practice and build up my calluses again.  :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 08:21:54 PM »
I've got a Taka - absolutely love it.   Good action, beautiful tone, and pretty good electronics for the price - if the Jasmine has any of the quality of the Taka's, it should be a great guitar.

This thread reminds me that I need to find time to get back in practice and build up my calluses again.  :)

I just recently started playing again. Discovered that my custom carvin is in bad shape. Picked up a nice fender acoustic to jam on too. It's crazy how fast you lose the skill. I can't play half the *expletive deleted*it on my albums right now. LOL
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2016, 08:25:34 PM »
I just recently started playing again. Discovered that my custom carvin is in bad shape. Picked up a nice fender acoustic to jam on too. It's crazy how fast you lose the skill. I can't play half the *expletive deleted*it on my albums right now. LOL

When I got out of the hospital, I couldn't even finger the strings. Didn't know where to put the fingers, and didn't have the strength to press them. I had to start learning all over again, after just two months. I'm still struggling to play barre chords.

I don't know how some of the superstar players can take months off.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 09:49:05 AM »

fitz,
 Is it because you lost the strength and dexterity, or forgot the fingering and runs etc (the music)?

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 09:50:49 AM »
Ordered it today, and having it shipped to my parents' PO box where my brother will pick it up.  I found out last night that Jasmine is made by (or made for) Takamine. 
Thanks for the help. :)

That will be a nice present!  Might be a good idea to run it by a guitar tech to check out the setup, as it will be much easier to play with good action.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 11:01:00 AM »
My daughter can take it to Heights Guitar Tech in Houston if it needs new strings, action adjusted, etc.  I think it's just down the road from her apartment, and it'll give her a reason to visit her grandparents (not that she needs a reason.) 
"It's good, though..."