Author Topic: No Coffee Filters? Neandercaff To The Rescue!  (Read 6362 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: No Coffee Filters? Neandercaff To The Rescue!
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2016, 10:41:26 AM »
I have a Chemex on my desk at work.  Just gotta plan ahead on the filters.

I'm probably confused on the definition of a "drip coffee maker". I always associate them with Mr Coffee style machines, but I reckon something like the Chemex is technically a drip coffee maker?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2016, 10:50:49 AM »
Nah, A Chemex is pour-over.  You immerse the grounds and let them drain.  Good stuff.

A buddy of mine has a YAMA cold brew tower, which is technically a drip brewer.  That thing makes good coffee, but I'm not patient enough.

http://www.clivecoffee.com/product/yama-cold-brewer.html

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 10:54:17 AM »
Nah, A Chemex is pour-over.  You immerse the grounds and let them drain.  Good stuff.

So the coffee drips into your cup as it drains? :P

I understand the difference though - just funnin' with you. :)

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2016, 10:56:12 AM »
You use a drip coffee maker? Is it some kind of special one that takes up 1/4 of your kitchen? :P  =D

I always thought coffee aficionados avoided drip coffee?

I use a french press, Aeropress, Chemex and the Zojirushi drip for coffee; and the Pasquini Livia 90 for espresso.  If it was up to me, I would use the french press and Chemex exclusively, and I do use them on the weekends, but during the work week, the drip machine wins out for speed.  It is one of the drip machines that reaches the proper 195-205 degrees F temp for correct brewing.  And since I roast my own beans and use a good grinder, that has more of an impact on the coffee than the brewing method.

There are a lot of really good drip machines on the market these days, and you can get very good cups from them.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2016, 10:58:36 AM »
Just fold a paper towel and use that for a filter.. Works fine.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2016, 11:07:20 AM »
I use a french press, Aeropress, Chemex and the Zojirushi drip for coffee; and the Pasquini Livia 90 for espresso.  If it was up to me, I would use the french press and Chemex exclusively, and I do use them on the weekends, but during the work week, the drip machine wins out for speed.  It is one of the drip machines that reaches the proper 195-205 degrees F temp for correct brewing.  And since I roast my own beans and use a good grinder, that has more of an impact on the coffee than the brewing method.

There are a lot of really good drip machines on the market these days, and you can get very good cups from them.

See I just use my Aeropress for work week at home.  A cup to get dressed with and a cup for the drive in gets me to work and my Chemex.  I really like how fast the Aeropress is, especially since Mrs. Mush drinks tea in the mornings so the water is already getting heated.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2016, 11:15:51 AM »

I've done this in a pinch

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2016, 12:24:00 PM »

Could just use an old, dirty sock also.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2016, 12:31:55 PM »
Not liking the idea of a permanent filter.  Bad enough when the carafe only gets cleaned annually.  ("You'll ruin it and kill the flavor if you scrub out the stains in the pot and run vinegar through the machine.")  

More guns, cameras, small boys and coffeepots have been ruined by excessive cleaning than any other single cause.

Terry

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2016, 12:34:50 PM »
Not liking the idea of a permanent filter.  Bad enough when the carafe only gets cleaned annually.  ("You'll ruin it and kill the flavor if you scrub out the stains in the pot and run vinegar through the machine.") 

I rinse the filter out with warm water after using it, and run it through the dishwasher every other week or so.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2016, 12:38:04 PM »
Here's what you need... A siphon coffee maker.

Only takes 4 times as long to brew a pot of coffee, and only costs 10 times more than a more than adequate drip style...

Neat looking, though. And siphon makers do generally make a decent cup of coffee. Just not THAT good.

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2491090/kitchenaid-kcm0812ob-siphon-8-cup-manual-coffee-brewer.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&utm_campaign=SMALL%20ELECTRICS&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=google&utm_product=61813824&CID=shopping15&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_qW9BRCcv-Xc5Jn-26gBEiQAM-iJhVbgjvj8o1i4XqWckfTTYVCjjDfqeDAYqrh7WTtSmIwaAhLK8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJHn95HitM4CFQJHDAodfE8GyQ
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2016, 01:11:02 PM »
^^^I have played around with some vintage siphon/vacuum coffee makers, and it is not worth the hassle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2016, 11:11:12 AM »
Isn't the siphon type the same as an old-fashioned percolator?

Funnel on bottom to collect and direct the steam/water up the center pipe to above the coffee basket, where it sprays out onto the grounds and drips back down into the pot?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2016, 11:28:19 AM »
Funnel on bottom to collect and direct the steam/water up the center pipe to above the coffee basket, where it sprays out onto the grounds and drips back down into the pot?  

Not the same.  A percolator recirculates the coffee over the grounds over and over.  A vacuum pot forces all the hot water thru the grounds at once.   All the water goes up the center pipe, then you take it off the heat and a vacuum forms in the lower chamber and pull it back through a ground glass filter.  (at least that's how my parents' all glass one worked way back when)

I use an old aluminum version of this: http://www.lindysstainless.com/lindys-stainless-steel-drip-coffee-maker.html
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2016, 11:29:24 AM »

No. Not even remotely close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_coffee_maker

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2016, 11:31:36 AM »
"A percolator recirculates the coffee over the grounds over and over."

Even worse, a percolator boils the coffee over and over and over.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2016, 11:32:47 AM »
I still like the coffee from a 30-cup electric percolator.  I don't use it very often tho', because that's a lot of coffee even for me.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2016, 11:51:13 AM »
"A percolator recirculates the coffee over the grounds over and over."

Even worse, a percolator boils the coffee over and over and over.

The trick is to, as soon as the coffee starts to boil, turn the heat down so it percolates at a lower temp. Percolated coffee that boils for ten minutes tastes awful. Percolated coffee that percolates at a lower temp tastes not much different than french press coffee. At least to an unrefined guy like me.  :laugh: 

I can't argue that french press coffee edges it out, but I like to use the percolator for a number of reasons, including non-flavor reasons like nostalgia. I do mine on an induction cooktop. I start on high and stick around for about three minutes until I see percolating just starting and see steam coming out, then I turn the heat to medium low and set the timer for seven minutes. I make my breakfast for the seven minutes and the coffee and me are done at the same time.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2016, 07:09:09 PM »
If one doesn't want to settle for Ranger Coffee,  try the Canadian method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAItDEaBR-U

I shameless stole the Starbucks Via idea from those guys.  Makes being away from electric and coffee a hell of a lot more fun.

Step *expletive deleted*ing One: Adopt a firing position and make sure there are no *expletive deleted*ing insurgents around. Nothing *expletive deleted*s up good coffee like *expletive deleted*ing insurgents.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2016, 09:41:38 PM »
I've got a Hamilton Beach single cup coffee maker.  You just pour a couple of tablespoons of ground coffee into a metal filter cup.  There is a coarse mesh in the cup, and a finer mesh in a second cup just below that.  It percolates the water through the grounds one time and into your cup.
It makes a pretty good cup of coffee to my taste. Better than the stuff you get at Starchucks.  I guess that makes me a heathen.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2016, 09:48:17 PM »
Nobody else has used a tea ball infuser?

I went through a coffee phase and when the coffee maker broke, I made the mistake of teaching Dad my trick.

*sigh* Needless to say, he destroyed the infuser. I don't know why I let him in the kitchen.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2016, 10:30:01 PM »
My wife is determined to have a coffee maker that uses K-cups. She used some Christmas cash to buy an off-brand machine, which promptly failed. It got clogged, somehow, and we never did get the line cleared. Now she is saving to get one of the Mr. Coffee machines that will do a full pot, or a K-cup.

She also went through a French press phase, which thankfully passed. She occasionally does the cold-water toddy thing, which I find quite inconvenient, and I don't much like the coffee she gets out of it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2016, 11:03:14 PM »
My wife is determined to have a coffee maker that uses K-cups. She used some Christmas cash to buy an off-brand machine, which promptly failed. It got clogged, somehow, and we never did get the line cleared. Now she is saving to get one of the Mr. Coffee machines that will do a full pot, or a K-cup.

I had a Keurig for a while. Actually three of them. The convenience of k-cups was not worth the low life expectancy of the expensive machines (though Costco swapped one of them for me for free).

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2016, 11:11:46 PM »
Wife got a Kuerig for Christmas 2 or 3 years ago.  Not the cheapest model, but maybe the next to cheapest.  It's still going strong.  She only uses bottled water in it; bulk RO water from the dispenser at Walmart or HyVee.  I'm pretty sure it would have died a long time ago if fed a steady diet of our hard tapwater.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2016, 11:22:04 PM »
Wife got a Kuerig for Christmas 2 or 3 years ago.  Not the cheapest model, but maybe the next to cheapest.  It's still going strong.  She only uses bottled water in it; bulk RO water from the dispenser at Walmart or HyVee.  I'm pretty sure it would have died a long time ago if fed a steady diet of our hard tapwater.

All I ever used was bottled water. Mine all broke with the same failing - they would randomly fill a cup with a few drops, 1/4 cup, full cup, half cup, or just sit there and make noise. Two of them lasted 1-2 years, one of them did that right when I bought it.

I will say mine were all purchased probably in the mid to late 2000's time frame, so they may have improved since then. When they worked,  I actually liked them for a quick and easy cup o Joe before I left for work. I still broke the french press out on the weekends though.