Author Topic: Hairy Christmas  (Read 825 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Hairy Christmas
« on: December 08, 2006, 11:09:09 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star_Wars_Holiday_Special

The Star Wars Holiday Special was a two-hour television special (including commercials) set in the Star Wars galaxy. It was broadcast in its entirety in the United States only once on Friday, November 17, 1978 on CBS-TV from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time (EST). In it, Chewbacca and Han Solo visit Kashyyyk, Chewbacca's home world, to celebrate Life Day. Along the way, they are pursued by agents of the Galactic Empire who are searching for rebels on the planet. The special introduces three members of Chewbacca's family: his father Itchy, his wife Malla, and his son Lumpy.
The main storyline of the film, which is set in 0 ABY, transpires on the Wookiee home planet of Kashyyyk. During the course of the film, scenes also take place in outer space and in such spacecraft as the famous Millennium Falcon and an Imperial Star Destroyer. The variety-show segments and cartoon introduce a few other locales, such as a cantina on the desert planet of Tatooine and a water planet known as Panna.
The program also features some cameos (although the cameo actors are listed as stars) by other Star Wars characters, including Luke Skywalker, C-3PO, R2-D2, Darth Vader, Han Solo and Princess Leia (who sings the film's "theme song", set to the music of John Williams' Star Wars theme, near the end). The program is probably best known for an animated cartoon produced by Toronto-based Nelvana that officially introduces the bounty hunter Boba Fett. It was the first film produced of three official Star Wars spin-off films.
George Lucas's involvement in the special's production was limited, and he was unhappy with the results. It has never been reaired or officially released on video, but has been widely bootlegged by fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmGzizktCiI
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Warren

Re: Hairy Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 11:16:20 AM »
I saw it when it aired. Even as a punk kid with low standards for what was entertaining I knew this show was a big ball o' poo.

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 05:40:42 PM »
I saw that too. I was only 7 yrs old at the time and even I was rather unimpressed.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

gyp_c2

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 04:30:07 AM »
...huh, I was alreasdy old as dirt so I don't remember it. rolleyes...although it might have been the black label 'causing the lapse shocked

I'll have to give it a look...

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 03:18:22 PM »
It's title as worst spinoff of the Star Wars universe was lost when "Phantom Menace" vented itself on us.  The Christmas Special looks pretty campy and harmless in comparison.