Author Topic: Windows 7 Update issue  (Read 2082 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Windows 7 Update issue
« on: August 14, 2016, 10:41:32 AM »
So, a year and a half ago, when I last rebuilt my computer, I took an image of the fully set up system with EaseUS Todo Backup.  Yesterday, after suffering a self-induced fatal error in Windows 10, I decided to go back to 7 with the backup I made back in early 2015.

Reload went without incident and there was no data loss other than the Waterfox bookmarks created since the backup. 

However, Windows Update refuses to complete.  It runs, but doesn't ever complete.  It just sits and churns, showing the last update from Feb 2015.  I've tried all the manual updater tools without success. 

I've rebooted multiple times.  I'm not getting any errors, it just doesn't do anything.
I do see messages like this in the Event Viewer:
Package KB2732487 failed to be changed to the Staged state. Status: 0x800f0816.
Followed by:
Initiating changes for package KB2912390. Current state is Absent. Target state is Staged. Client id: WindowsUpdateAgent.

The package names change, but the message is the same.  The messages have an Info rating, nor Error or Warn.

The Windows Update Troubleshooter "fixes" some problems, but it still won't update.

Any suggestions that don't involve Linux, OSX, Detcord, or KD5-level idiocy? 

Chris

Calumus

• friend
Re: Windows 7 Update issue
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 10:47:08 AM »
http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Download link is at the top right. Installing updates manually can often work through issues like you're having. Hover over "Version 10.7.3" to download.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 10:53:24 AM »
Sounds like the issue I thought I was having. The answer from the hive (let it run -- overnight or longer) worked.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 10:58:36 AM »
http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Download link is at the top right. Installing updates manually can often work through issues like you're having. Hover over "Version 10.7.3" to download.

Thx.  Trying that now.  I've seen it recommended elsewhere.

Sounds like the issue I thought I was having. The answer from the hive (let it run -- overnight or longer) worked.

Tried that too.

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 12:57:20 PM »
Any suggestions that don't involve Linux, OSX, Detcord, or KD5-level idiocy?

In place upgrade, to the same version of Win7.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 06:53:14 AM »
WUSA didn't seem to change anything.  Windows update still wouldn't run, well, it didn't seem to.  I let it run all day yesterday and overnight.  I woke up to it having updated fully.

So, I'm good now...  Thanks all.

Chris

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 07:47:16 AM »
This thread reminded me that the "new" desktop computer that I haven't fully migrated to is left off for days at a time, so it's not running for automatic updates. I tried to do a manual update, and it hung (or seemed to hang) while checking for updates. After a bunch of Internet searching, I somehow stumbled across a Microsoft update trouble shooting application. I ran that, and then a manual update would run.

But ... although the most recent update was more than a month ago, when it ran there was only one update found and installed. Which seems to fit what an IT friend told me (after the fact): that sometimes Windows update appears to be hung while checking, but in reality it's downloading and installing updates regardless of what it shows on screen.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 08:03:59 AM »
sometimes Windows update appears to be hung while checking, but in reality it's downloading and installing updates regardless of what it shows on screen.

It would be nice to get some feedback so I don't think the process has stalled.   ;/

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 09:56:36 AM »
This thread reminded me that the "new" desktop computer that I haven't fully migrated to is left off for days at a time, so it's not running for automatic updates. I tried to do a manual update, and it hung (or seemed to hang) while checking for updates. After a bunch of Internet searching, I somehow stumbled across a Microsoft update trouble shooting application. I ran that, and then a manual update would run.

But ... although the most recent update was more than a month ago, when it ran there was only one update found and installed. Which seems to fit what an IT friend told me (after the fact): that sometimes Windows update appears to be hung while checking, but in reality it's downloading and installing updates regardless of what it shows on screen.

Win7 has, like, 7 years of changes to process and install.  It shouldn't be surprising things take a while.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2016, 10:39:27 AM »
Win7 has, like, 7 years of changes to process and install.  It shouldn't be surprising things take a while.

In my case, the image I installed was up-to-date as of 02/2015.  I only had 1.5yrs of updates to process.

Chris

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2016, 08:36:59 PM »

Since July of 2016?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2016, 08:22:27 PM »
So interestingly, back in one of the other threads about this I'd mentioned that I got updates working again on a old test laptop, after both downloading the kb fix and waiting over a day the first time. The laptop has been sitting unused for over a month, and just last week  I fired it up to do some stuff, and a message popped up about "you haven't checked for updates in xxx days".

So I ran a manual update check and...... stuck on the checking window again. I even ran it overnight and the same thing. It can't need many updates, so it's a bit perplexing. I'm on vacation right now, but when I get back, I'm going to delete and reinstall the hotfix and then let it sit for a couple of days and see what happens.

MS really doesn't seem to like Win7 users anymore.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2016, 08:51:22 PM »
One of my cow-orkers spotted this today: Windows 7 and 8.1 updates switching to cumulative monthly rollups starting in October

Microsoft did make the updating process a little bit easier in May when it introduced a “convenience rollup” that includes all security and non-security updates since the release of Windows 7 SP1. But the convenience rollup doesn’t appear as an option in Windows Update and must be downloaded via the Microsoft Download Center.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2016, 11:05:08 PM »
I am pretty sure this is Fitzful's fault.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 11:58:38 AM »

Other folks hit the nail on the head.

Best solution is always "nuke from orbit", that is to do a fresh install, install Windows 7 SP2 (aka the cumulative patch) and fire up Ninite.
Second best solution is to run SP2.
Third best solution, let it run for a while. Overnight is more typical than a week. If you're manually doing all patches, try doing in batches of about fifty. Doing 200 ish patches can have interesting results.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2016, 12:28:54 PM »
Third best solution, let it run for a while. Overnight is more typical than a week. If you're manually doing all patches, try doing in batches of about fifty. Doing 200 ish patches can have interesting results.

But if when it hangs up while checking for updates, you don't get to choose what to install.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 01:19:15 PM »
But if when it hangs up while checking for updates, you don't get to choose what to install.

Run SP2 (the cumulative patch) and it'll go through fine. Had to refry a ton of PCs during our migration to Win10.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.