Author Topic: The slow death of white Christianity in America  (Read 5032 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: The slow death of white Christianity in America
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2016, 09:45:54 AM »
my church is full of young folks, eager and willing to follow the right path.

I've seen a lot that are shopping around for a church that will adjust the path to whatever they want to follow, regardless of clear Scriptural guidance.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 10:04:20 AM »
Trump isn't a Christian as far as I can tell. Does he even self identify as a Christian?

He may not be a believer as some would define it but he is a cultural "Christian" in the mold of being a traditional American, which is also a predominately white culture.

He represents the "conservative" America that has been banished from the big cities but still lives on (on life support) in the heartland.

It's still hilarious that a NYC liberal mostly Democrat represents "conservative America".   =D
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 10:26:56 AM »
It's still hilarious that a NYC liberal mostly Democrat represents "conservative America".   =D

Bizarro world.

He is a disrupter, candidate middle finger *expletive deleted*ck you Establishment and Republicans in particular.

Trump has positioned himself as the outsider. The insiders have continually sold out Christians. Not just by selling out and failing to "hold the line" but by actively colluding with the "enemy" and doing the exact opposite of what they promised.

He has never been caught on record showing animosity, hatred or overt plans to undermine Christianity.

Christians in many cases have decided the populist who doesn't hate us is better than the Establishment who barely conceals their disdain.

Unlike most commentaries we read I actually think the Trump phenomenon is healthy.

Laughter does a body good!

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »
And in healthy churches, modern American conservative market-liberal values are being passed off as the Christianity of 1st century Palestine.

Like Ron, that is not so healthy.  And you bring up a real and serious problem in too many of the "evangelical"-ish churches.  Not that spergitarian economics is intrinsically evil, but that these churches do not have a proper grasp of the "two kingdoms" doctrine.

As I've written before, Trump is a roughly moderate Democrat from decades past.  Tip O'Neil, Scoop Jackson, JFK, and the like had similar beliefs as Trump.  Trump merely likes America & doesn't want it obliterated by immivasion; he thinks that actual Americans are decent folk and gov't should serve the majority of them; and holds moderate, middle of the road views on most everything else.  It is not an ideological philosophy, it is a pro-American inclination.

That makes him literallyhitler, nowadays, in the eyes of the Dems and GOPe. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 12:13:46 PM »
The term conservative seems to have a malleable definition.  IMO, it is a term of convenience that politicians redefine to suit their needs.  I almost cringe when I see people throw it out there as the high ground of politics, but none ever really define what they mean by it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2016, 02:21:21 PM »
The term conservative seems to have a malleable definition.  IMO, it is a term of convenience that politicians redefine to suit their needs.  I almost cringe when I see people throw it out there as the high ground of politics, but none ever really define what they mean by it. 

Same with liberal. Folks on our side tend to lump everyone from "blue dog, Republican in every way except likes his union" southern democrats to straight up card carrying Communists together under the same rubric.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2016, 04:54:01 PM »
Same with liberal. Folks on our side tend to lump everyone from "blue dog, Republican in every way except likes his union" southern democrats to straight up card carrying Communists together under the same rubric.

Hell, probably half the board thinks I'm liberal and I believe in using napalm, white phosphorous and strategic nuclear weapons against hippy infestations. No, the lack of "or" was not accidental in that statement.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2016, 09:35:20 PM »
To me, conservative meant small govt, low taxes, low regulation, but I noticed a long time ago the authoritarian types use it to mean something completely different. 

I honestly take little notice of liberals who are not authoritarian.  They aren't trying to force their viewpoint on me. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2016, 03:34:50 PM »
This thread has some great examples of the way that American Christianity so often gets pigeon-holed into whatever the commentator most dislikes or fears. The guy who looks down on Reaganite/Tea-Party types says the churches are really just Tea Party gatherings. The Reaganite thinks the churches are all social justice meetings. The deep thinker says the churches are shallow. In the same way, many of the religiously conservative people I church with think 99% of churches are wholly given to worldliness, and just have rock concert church services.

Like many other things, there are good and bad churches, and we sometimes exaggerate the bad, and forget about the good. Worse yet, some of us (notably those who are not Christians, ahem) are ill-equipped to judge the good churches from the bad.

In the end, the job of the Church isn't to play majoritarian politics. She doesn't accomplish her true goal by getting pagans to agree with her about politics, or social virtues. The Church isn't here to make pagans better, but to make them not-pagans.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2016, 01:10:13 PM »
^^^^^This.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2016, 09:58:33 PM »
Well said, fistful.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.