Author Topic: Any wonder why our education system is screwed up?  (Read 646 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Any wonder why our education system is screwed up?
« on: August 25, 2016, 09:33:09 AM »
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2016/08/24/Justice-Department-sues-Georgia-for-segregating-students-with-behavioral-disabilities/8631472042491/?spt=hs&or=tn_us

No, this isn't the only reason. But it's A reason:

The Justice Department has filed suit against the state of Georgia for allegedly segregating students with behavioral or emotional problems in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Children who are, by definition of their disability, disruptive to other students are required to be spread throughout the schools so as to maximize disruption of other students.

It's important to remember that the people who INSIST (by virtue of federal law and court decisions) that these children been "mainstreamed" are absolutely certain that their children will not be in those "mainstream" classrooms where the disruptions occur.

The elites are so very generous to the less fortunate- at the expense, of course, of the only slightly more fortunate than the less fortunate. The elites aren't going to bear the cost.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:32:17 AM by makattak »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Any wonder why our education system is screwed up?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 10:22:37 AM »
Sometimes it makes me think them guvinment reglators toss and turn all night pounding their pillows in frustracion until a nother Bright Idea occurs to them as to how to be Royal Pains In The ass.

{EDIT FROM 230RN:  Note that I did not write this.  Someone must've hacked my APS account.

--Terry}
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 11:00:23 AM »
"This complaint alleges that many children in the GNETS Program are consigned to dilapidated buildings that were formerly used for black children during segregation, or to classrooms that are locked apart from mainstream classrooms, with substantially fewer opportunities of participating in extracurricular activities like music, art and sports," said U.S. Attorney John A. Horn of the Northern District of Georgia.

If true and accurate, Georgia does deserve to be nailed to the wall. Just because a kid's head isn't perfectly screwed on straight, does mean you can throw them into crap facilities, give them the least amount of education possible. In the mean time, continue to soak up $72 million in state and federal money. Georgia can legally put kids with emotional or behavioral issues in isolated classrooms. They can't throw them dilapidated buildings, give them little or no education, bar them from any extracurricular activities and then apparently spend other people's money on things they like better.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 11:14:58 AM »
If true and accurate, Georgia does deserve to be nailed to the wall. Just because a kid's head isn't perfectly screwed on straight, does mean you can throw them into crap facilities, give them the least amount of education possible. In the mean time, continue to soak up $72 million in state and federal money. Georgia can legally put kids with emotional or behavioral issues in isolated classrooms. They can't throw them dilapidated buildings, give them little or no education, bar them from any extracurricular activities and then apparently spend other people's money on things they like better.

You'll note the complaint doesn't even allege that most such children were mistreated. They simply state "many".

If I were to guess, given the lawyerly wording, that's the cover for the real issue:

"Georgia has relegated thousands of students with behavior-related disabilities to separate, segregated and unequal settings, and placed other students at serious risk of entering such settings, failing to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act."

They didn't "mainstream" children with behavioural problems.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 12:00:34 PM »
I remember years (more like decades) ago there was a problem with "mainstreaming" some kids - they were disruptive in class, talked, made noise, didn't stay in their seats, etc.  And the teachers were NOT allowed to discipline them - they were "ill."

HOWEVER, if OTHER kids started behaving the same way in the same classroom, THEY could be punished. Even if the disruptive kid pushed or smacked another kid . . . there was no punishment, and the other kid wasn't allowed to push or smack back.

Guess how that worked out. 

Now this cr@p is surfacing again.  :facepalm:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain