Author Topic: Pain meds and tranquilizers are killing white women  (Read 5151 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Pain meds and tranquilizers are killing white women
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 06:07:40 PM »
I wonder what the death toll is from all the Rx's pumped out into the inner cities under the "new/alternative welfare" of SSI/Disability and the "medical conditions" people have to qualify. Either to the original recipients, or to those whom they sell the meds as a secondary income stream.
Do turf war casualties count?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Pain meds and tranquilizers are killing white women
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 06:24:51 PM »
^^^^There is more and more medical literature coming out recently showing that chronic opioids just do not work all that well for many types of non-cancer chronic pain.  This is especially true for using opioids for longer than four months for chronic lower back pain.

THIS! SO MUCH THIS! Sometimes ya just have to quit doing what makes the pain flare up and live with the rest as much as ya can. Been There, Done That, Even Tried the Methadone.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2016, 08:25:51 AM »
it's all about avoiding substance abuse.  Some folks can do it, some can't.  Some folks make an effort to be prudent with their meds, some don't. Some folks are 'addictive', some aren't.
Due to various issues, I take both.  I have no issues at all.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2016, 10:35:45 AM »

Had a buddy die from using pain meds as anti-depressants. He had back surgery, so I don't blame the doc at all. Popped them too quickly, blood pressure dropped, his internal organs died from oxygen starvation. Guy was basically a zombie for a couple days before passing. Apparently, it was bad enough to unnerve the surgery team that cracked him open, took one look, and stitched back up.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2016, 12:28:45 PM »
I was prescribed some cough syrup with codeine in it a couple of years ago. Tasted like crap and didn't help with the cough. I think I still have it somewhere.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2016, 08:58:08 PM »
Look at something like depression. For many people, a regime that emphasized getting enough sleep, better nutrition, and copious amounts of exercise would completely obviate the need for protracted anti-depressant use.

While I'll never state there's no need for antidepressants I'm a walking example of just how gorram wrong the pill solutions can be stupid and go wrong.

About 5 years ago, while doing IT and working at a desk, my grandfather died, I developed a case of acute pancreatitis (dx was drinking too much... not sure about that... long story) and when I came out of the hospital and saw my GP (who was actually brand new to me) he shoved a benzo (Valium) and setraline (Zoloft) at me.  Friggen moron.  You don't put somebody on valium for alcohol withdraw when they haven't had a drop in two weeks.  He was an idiot for multiple reasons.  Likewise, Zoloft came kind out of nowhere. I quit taking his meds when I figured he was an idiot which was shortly before no longer worked at our clinic.  I assume the two were related.

A couple years later I'm seeing a new GP in the middle of winter and their survey paper puts me really high on the depression scale.  I knew that when I answered the questions.  It wasn't a surprise when the doc brought up the results.. but he scoffed when I told him I didn't want to try an antidepressant.  My wife and I had both seen the symptoms, and I had an appointment with a therapist the next day.  When he asked why I objected to drug treatment I mentioned that Zoloft left me unable to achieve orgasm.  He laughed.. like that's a small symptom.  Yeah, no, it's not.  Sure, I could experiment with other drugs but I wasn't interested in that.

I sat down with a therapist, I told him what was going on in my brain, we hammered it all out and I got physically active.  Just a little bit helped.

The sad thing is I always knew what would fix the depression; I just never did it.  Downward spiral and all that. 

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Pain meds and tranquilizers are killing white women
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2016, 02:55:42 AM »
While I'll never state there's no need for antidepressants I'm a walking example of just how gorram wrong the pill solutions can be stupid and go wrong.

About 5 years ago, while doing IT and working at a desk, my grandfather died, I developed a case of acute pancreatitis (dx was drinking too much... not sure about that... long story) and when I came out of the hospital and saw my GP (who was actually brand new to me) he shoved a benzo (Valium) and setraline (Zoloft) at me.  Friggen moron.  You don't put somebody on valium for alcohol withdraw when they haven't had a drop in two weeks.  He was an idiot for multiple reasons.  Likewise, Zoloft came kind out of nowhere. I quit taking his meds when I figured he was an idiot which was shortly before no longer worked at our clinic.  I assume the two were related.

A couple years later I'm seeing a new GP in the middle of winter and their survey paper puts me really high on the depression scale.  I knew that when I answered the questions.  It wasn't a surprise when the doc brought up the results.. but he scoffed when I told him I didn't want to try an antidepressant.  My wife and I had both seen the symptoms, and I had an appointment with a therapist the next day.  When he asked why I objected to drug treatment I mentioned that Zoloft left me unable to achieve orgasm.  He laughed.. like that's a small symptom.  Yeah, no, it's not.  Sure, I could experiment with other drugs but I wasn't interested in that.

I sat down with a therapist, I told him what was going on in my brain, we hammered it all out and I got physically active.  Just a little bit helped.

The sad thing is I always knew what would fix the depression; I just never did it.  Downward spiral and all that. 
Nor too surprised about the docs. They both likely got more training in school on proper billing than addiction or alcoholism.
25 years ago I remember reading that 1/3 of docs when asked said alcohol was not physically addictive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2016, 10:59:20 AM »
#whiteprivilege
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2016, 12:29:22 PM »
#whiteprivilege

Not necessarily just white. I certainly haven't been treated by ALL the doctors at my VA hospital, but after a couple of major health "incidents" over the past three years I have seen and been treated by a lot of them. Most do not qualify as "white." Jamaican, African (not "African-American" -- African), Pakistani, Hispanic, and some whose origins I can' pin down but definitely not "white."

Some of them seem to be halfway decent doctors. Some of them I would want treating my dog.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2016, 12:40:55 PM »

I feel for ya bud! I am very resistant to pain meds, always have been. After being on them so long, it's worse now. If I'm in REAL pain, it takes 10 to 15mg of Hydrocodone (Vicodin) to put any kind of a dent in it, that's why I very rarely use it and why I do my best not to get where I need it. That means I LIVE in my recliner. I Eat, Sleep, and STAY in it, otherwise there is more pain. I get up to make food, feed the cats, bathe and use the bathroom. If I/we go out, it's limited to 2 to 3 hours max before I HAVE to get in a recliner somewhere.

Side effects:
Depression - thank God Prozac and I get along! Without it I am a blubbering wreck with hair trigger anger/rage that lasts once set off. Funny thing is, it's 99% self directed frustration. I have no desire to hurt anyone. Even if if did, it would be to punch them, not shoot, that has never even entered my mind. Not a suicidal person either. On Prozac, I'm fine. I still can get ticked but I get over it real quick and go on about my life. (S.O.B! Oh well... Doot Dee doo!)
Other stuff I take: I take a metric butt-ton of stuff for blood pressure, diabetes, nerve pain, kidney stone/urinary issues, migraines, G.E.R.D. and Hypertensive peristalsis (Nutcracker esophagus) that ALL have WONDERFUL side effects that have left me with a bad case of "limp noodle" and my heart takes "little blue pills" right out of the picture so, yeah. BTDTGTS...

PS: Notice, my meds and care is all VA based these days as well...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 12:53:36 PM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2016, 10:24:23 PM »
Side effects:
Depression - thank God Prozac and I get along! Without it I am a blubbering wreck with hair trigger anger/rage that lasts once set off. Funny thing is, it's 99% self directed frustration. I have no desire to hurt anyone. Even if if did, it would be to punch them, not shoot, that has never even entered my mind. Not a suicidal person either. On Prozac, I'm fine. I still can get ticked but I get over it real quick and go on about my life. (S.O.B! Oh well... Doot Dee doo!)
Other stuff I take: I take a metric butt-ton of stuff for blood pressure, diabetes, nerve pain, kidney stone/urinary issues, migraines, G.E.R.D. and Hypertensive peristalsis (Nutcracker esophagus) that ALL have WONDERFUL side effects that have left me with a bad case of "limp noodle" and my heart takes "little blue pills" right out of the picture so, yeah. BTDTGTS...

I'll keep this in mind, next time I'm tempted to self pity.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.