Author Topic: Rosie O'Donnell makes fun of Asian people...media is quiet  (Read 22490 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Rosie O'Donnell makes fun of Asian people...media is quiet
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2006, 07:31:01 AM »
The Swedish chef is a good point.  I'm sure there are some Swedes who are offended by things like that, but we would recognize such people as being overly sensitive about their nationality. 

Maybe some of us are too cavalier, though.  Asians have been mistreated and ridiculed in the past, and I suppose they still are today.  But at what point do we just move on?  At what point does dwelling on it actually keep racial tension alive? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2006, 07:41:38 AM »
Yup.  I'm supposed to be outraged when someone mocks a minority's speech patterns, but chuckle when someone mocks a southern (or midwestern, or northeastern) accent?  Especially when it's done from the perspective of "you talk funny, so you're obviously stupid"?

Chris

...has left the building.

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2006, 08:23:51 AM »
But on the other hand, you didn't have to grow up having kids make fun of you by calling you "gook", "chink", "hey can you speak Chinese?", "ching chong ching chong", "*bruce lee noises*", etc. Most of my childhood, people were telling me that I was somehow inferior.
  I thought so.  Don't buy into it, brother.  When and where did you grow up, if you don't mind my asking?

I didn't buy into it...I usually just punched them Wink I'm 25 and I grew up in rural Pennsylvania, near West Virginia. I was the only non-white person in my entire school district for many years as far as I know.

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2006, 08:30:16 AM »
The Swedish chef is a good point.  I'm sure there are some Swedes who are offended by things like that, but we would recognize such people as being overly sensitive about their nationality. 

Maybe some of us are too cavalier, though.  Asians have been mistreated and ridiculed in the past, and I suppose they still are today.  But at what point do we just move on?  At what point does dwelling on it actually keep racial tension alive? 

I don't know if it has to do with sensitivity; in my opinion, it all depends on the intent. If we're laughing at our differences that is all good and even healthy to blur the racial lines. But when someone is mocking you or telling you that you are somehow 2nd class, then there is something wrong.

One example would be how rural white gunowners are portrayed by Jeff Foxworthy and the "media". Or how black people are depicted by Dave Chappelle and a KKK cartoon.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2006, 08:58:15 AM »
What do you think was O'Donnel's intent?

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2006, 12:41:09 PM »
What do you think was O'Donnel's intent?

Her intent was to mimic but it definitely comes off as mockery. What if she would have came on the show and said that there was an article in Black Enterprise magazine that said, "Aww sheet, dis be 'Danny Devito' fried chicken 'the View' ridin on dubs 'drunk' like a mothaf%^&%#"?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2006, 01:39:59 PM »
How would that be the same?

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2006, 04:23:57 PM »
How would that be the same?

How is that not a poor comedic "interpretation" of black "language"?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2006, 05:56:16 PM »
Rosie O'Donnell was trying to recreate the sound of a completely foreign language she presumably doesn't know.  Unless I'm mistaken, she doesn't speak Chinese, and can't be expected to actually know what it sounds like.  All she knows is that it's a foreign language and therefore it sounds like babble to her untutored ears.  

She was NOT ascribing an unlettered ghetto dialect to a group of successful businesspeople.  She was NOT talking like a two-bit pimp when she could have used standard English, which I suppose the writers at Black Enterprise use.  ( I don't know, I can't recall ever reading that publication.)

Look, Rosie's joke was not about Chinese people.  It was about trivial celebrity gossip being reported around the world, as if it mattered.  Along the way, she tried to mimic Chinese with this ching-chong-ching bit.  It sounds goofy, but that's because it has to.  That's what Chinese sounds like to most Americans.  Not because we hate Chinese people, but because the language is much different than ours, and not something we hear every day.  I'm sure there's a lot of people in China who think English sounds funny.  And if they don't, they probably should.  

FWIW, I think Rosie could have thrown in some of those long, drawn-out dipthongs* that I seem to hear when I watch gung fu flicks.  That's what I do, when I want to sound Asian.  I'm an impressionist by nature, I'm afraid.  I wouldn't do it on TV, but just because I wouldn't want to sound stupid, doing a bad impression of a language I don't know.

*Lest you think that's a racial slur:
 Dipthong - a gliding monosyllabic speech sound (as the vowel combination at the end of toy) that starts at or near the articulatory position for one vowel and moves to or toward the position of another

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2006, 06:23:35 PM »
Rosie O'Donnell was trying to recreate the sound of a completely foreign language she presumably doesn't know.  Unless I'm mistaken, she doesn't speak Chinese, and can't be expected to actually know what it sounds like.  All she knows is that it's a foreign language and therefore it sounds like babble to her untutored ears. 

She was NOT ascribing an unlettered ghetto dialect to a group of successful businesspeople.  She was NOT talking like a two-bit pimp when she could have used standard English, which I suppose the writers at Black Enterprise use.  ( I don't know, I can't recall ever reading that publication.)

Look, Rosie's joke was not about Chinese people.  It was about trivial celebrity gossip being reported around the world, as if it mattered.  Along the way, she tried to mimic Chinese with this ching-chong-ching bit.  It sounds goofy, but that's because it has to.  That's what Chinese sounds like to most Americans.  Not because we hate Chinese people, but because the language is much different than ours, and not something we hear every day.  I'm sure there's a lot of people in China who think English sounds funny.  And if they don't, they probably should. 

FWIW, I think Rosie could have thrown in some of those long, drawn-out dipthongs* that I seem to hear when I watch gung fu flicks.  That's what I do, when I want to sound Asian.  I'm an impressionist by nature, I'm afraid.  I wouldn't do it on TV, but just because I wouldn't want to sound stupid, doing a bad impression of a language I don't know.

*Lest you think that's a racial slur:
 Dipthong - a gliding monosyllabic speech sound (as the vowel combination at the end of toy) that starts at or near the articulatory position for one vowel and moves to or toward the position of another

The only thing you're convincing me of is to quit posting on APS. With so many productive activities to choose from, I will not choose to argue that which cannot be solved online any longer. I'll stick to the technical portions of THR. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2006, 06:33:42 PM »
Huh? 

So you DO have a thin skin. 

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2006, 06:39:47 PM »
Huh? 

So you DO have a thin skin. 

No, you missed the part about "productive".

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2006, 08:07:16 PM »
As you will, sir, but I won't take the blame for your leaving.  I merely defended a bitter enemy that one time when she had done no wrong.

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2006, 02:26:03 AM »
As you will, sir, but I won't take the blame for your leaving.  I merely defended a bitter enemy that one time when she had done no wrong.

It definitely isn't personal at all, I'd gladly have a beer with you any day. But while typing a response I realized I had many other things that I should be doing.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2006, 02:53:17 AM »
I haven't read this whole thing but I'll give Hank a +1. As much as I detest Rosie I don't see a foul here. Well, other than her face.  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2006, 04:34:27 AM »
thats ok.  The media is quiet when I make fun of Rosie.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2006, 05:14:01 AM »
Pity ...
I've only met Mr. Flory in person once, but he's a stand-up guy with a lot to contribute.  We're poorer for him choosing to spend his time elsewhere.  (Quite possibly "poorer" in a literal sense as well, if he's still doing what he was studying when I met him.)

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2006, 06:40:10 AM »
With so many productive activities to choose from, I will not choose to argue that which cannot be solved online any longer.
  It took him 700 posts to discern the nature of arguments on controversial topics - that they usually don't go anywhere? 

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2006, 09:25:34 AM »
With so many productive activities to choose from, I will not choose to argue that which cannot be solved online any longer.
  It took him 700 posts to discern the nature of arguments on controversial topics - that they usually don't go anywhere? 

yeah, we seem to have a number of posters that are educated beyond their intelligence.  laugh

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2006, 09:53:25 AM »
How's that go?

"People who think they are right all the time are annoying to those of us who are."

grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2006, 11:37:04 AM »
It has come to our attention that in a recent broadcast of The Muppet Show, co-host "Swedish Chef" tried to mimic the Swedish language by uttering repeated phrases of Børk! Børk! Børk!"

We feel strongly that it is our responsibility to call attention to what we consider a mockery of the Swedish language and, in effect, a perpetuation of stereotypes of Scandinavean Americans as foreigners or second-class citizens. The use of the distorted phrases is insulting to the Swedish and Swedish Americans and gives the impression that they are a group that is substandard to English-speaking people.

We find it especially disturbing that this incident comes from a well-loved personality and a television program aired on a respected network.

The Swedish American Journalists Association is happy to make its resources available to ensure that both news and entertainment media always remain cautious about the use of sensitive or derogatory material in their broadcasts. We also hope that Mr. Hensen address this issue and apologize to her viewers, especially the Swedish and Swedish Americans who have been greatly insulted by this broadcast segment.

Bjorn Fjordborg
Executive Director
Swedish American Journalists Association

PS- He actually sounds less like a Swede and more like a dirty Norweigan

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2006, 11:44:40 AM »
A Dirty Norwegian?  Isn't that rum and irish cream on ice, in a highball glass? 

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2006, 11:52:31 AM »
Is it? That sounds delicous.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2006, 08:37:15 PM »
The quiet of the media has been compensated for by all the heat and noise here.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2006, 03:07:29 AM »
Is it? That sounds delicous.

Oh, come on, I made that up.  If it becomes a hit, I demand royalties.