Author Topic: DAMN ATT EMAIL  (Read 4878 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
DAMN ATT EMAIL
« on: September 20, 2016, 02:20:08 PM »
Well it appears that for most of the day ATT.NET has had issues/outages that is affecting their email system.

Been trying to send emails and it is hit and miss if it actually sends, as well as trying to send a test email to it from my work address and it won't go through.  The worst part about it all is that when the email does work and receives something none of the ones I know I sent made it through.  Just hope I haven't missed any important ones today.

I have accepted a new job in KC and have been sending emails back and forth with them.  Hoping nothing has been lost from them during this issue.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: DAMN ATT EMAIL
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 06:32:38 PM »
I'd recommend signing up for a gmail account.  Send a politely worded email to your new job informing them of the issues, with a list of emails you have gotten.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 09:48:02 PM »
AT&T doesn't have an e-mail service, anyway, and they never did. IMHO it's absolutely shameful. What was the largest (if not only) telecommunications company in the world, and when they finally got around to implementing e-mail -- they subcontracted it to Yahoo. And AT&T e-mail is still redirected to Yahoo.

And it sucks. But, for a small business, it at least says, "I can afford to pay for a commercial e-mail account, I'm not using a freebie."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 10:03:10 PM »
AT&T doesn't have an e-mail service, anyway, and they never did. IMHO it's absolutely shameful. What was the largest (if not only) telecommunications company in the world, and when they finally got around to implementing e-mail -- they subcontracted it to Yahoo. And AT&T e-mail is still redirected to Yahoo.

And it sucks. But, for a small business, it at least says, "I can afford to pay for a commercial e-mail account, I'm not using a freebie."

I'm afraid I have quite the opposite impression... it tells me that a business is so utterly inept they haven't even spent the ten bucks on a domain name for their online presence.  Businesses using ISP provided, ISP domain name email addresses is not a good sign.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 10:31:19 PM »
 [popcorn]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 10:40:15 PM »
I'm afraid I have quite the opposite impression... it tells me that a business is so utterly inept they haven't even spent the ten bucks on a domain name for their online presence.  Businesses using ISP provided, ISP domain name email addresses is not a good sign.
I agree with you 100%.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 11:45:28 PM »
I'm far from rich and I have my own domains and email server/accounts! A business using a freebie service or anything ending in yahoo.com, gmail.com, hotmail.com, or the like is to be avoided as the unprofessional carp they are.

Speedy@ HeroHog.com, Terris-Treasures.com/.biz, JohnnyJam.org, DenizensOfDoom.com
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 07:30:39 AM »
I think I have a gmail.. =D

Actually the damn thing started working late yesterday afternoon and all my emails finally did come through.

As for the new employer all things are good to go for me to start on the 10th.  The one issue that might have held things up has been solved.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 09:50:57 AM »

This. Plus, I see someone who didn't think ahead enough to consider the ramifications to their business if they moved and their previous isp wasn't available at their new location. What I usually have clients do is sign up for Google services, and register a domain name through them. One bill, and you get a professional address and Google hosting your email.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 09:57:57 AM »
I'm far from rich and I have my own domains and email server/accounts! A business using a freebie service or anything ending in yahoo.com, gmail.com, hotmail.com, or the like is to be avoided as the unprofessional carp they are.

Speedy@ HeroHog.com, Terris-Treasures.com/.biz, JohnnyJam.org, DenizensOfDoom.com

lol, because those domain names scream professionalism! 

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 11:24:43 AM »
lol, because those domain names scream professionalism! 

HeroHog.com - My personal site, IDGAF

Terris-Treasures.com/.biz - The wife's former business, we are keeping the site alive but the business... meh

JohnnyJam.org - a Non Profit that funds 2 scholorships at my old college in my guitar players name. he passed in 2000 and we hold a memorial jam annually to raise funds for the scholarships.

DenizensOfDoom.com - a virtual M/C I have been involved with since the 90s. We don't GAF what ya think.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 11:25:40 PM »
HeroHog.com - My personal site, IDGAF

Terris-Treasures.com/.biz - The wife's former business, we are keeping the site alive but the business... meh

JohnnyJam.org - a Non Profit that funds 2 scholorships at my old college in my guitar players name. he passed in 2000 and we hold a memorial jam annually to raise funds for the scholarships.

DenizensOfDoom.com - a virtual M/C I have been involved with since the 90s. We don't GAF what ya think.

Then why throw them out there as examples of professional domain names?  I really don't care, just found it amusing and a little odd.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 01:38:41 AM »
Then why throw them out there as examples of professional domain names?  I really don't care, just found it amusing and a little odd.

I didn't, I showed how inexpensive and easy it was to get a personalized one for a business. Sorry you couldn't make that connection.
MOLON LABE!

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 01:44:20 AM »
Okay, seeing as how it took a derail into small business, I'll point out that I recommended that wmenorr67 get a personal gmail account - named something professional like his real name or something.

For a business, I guess I'd ask - how small and in what field?  If all the business needs or uses is 1-2 email accounts, then why not?

If it's moving past 'small' and towards medium, or is specifically in the IT field, then you look into getting your own domain.

One of the benefits of gmail is that, generally speaking, it just works.  Besides that, you can start getting into what I'd call the "and" syndrome.  Where not only must you have your own domain for email, you have to have your own website.  AND facebook AND twitter AND Angie's AND YELP AND AND AND....

If each site takes 5 minutes a day(logging in just to check on updates, if nothing else), suddenly you can be losing an entire hour just to "online" stuff, which is expensive if that's not the core of your business.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 03:24:00 AM »
True, but domain names are CHEAP. Hosting is CHEAP. For less than $100 a year you can have a domain, 500 or more email accounts on your own domain and a web site if you desire. Included in that you can also have a storefront, forum and many other services without paying a dime extra as it is included with hosting! Check out http://omnis.com for example.
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 10:57:40 AM »
For my halfass consulting,  I got a domain name and email address from name.com for I forget the price, but ridiculously cheap. The email service is $10/yr. I then tied it into google business services for $5/month to get all google services under my domain name.

I could have skipped the google, but the part of the .gov I work with uses google government services, so I get seamlessly tied into calendar events, docs, etc.

For as cheap as it is, I'll likely continue to always keep a domain and linked email address.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 12:04:56 PM »
I didn't, I showed how inexpensive and easy it was to get a personalized one for a business. Sorry you couldn't make that connection.

Sorry you are so defense.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 12:47:00 PM »
Sorry you are so defense.

My sig explains it all...
MOLON LABE!

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 02:13:30 PM »
True, but domain names are CHEAP. Hosting is CHEAP. For less than $100 a year you can have a domain, 500 or more email accounts on your own domain and a web site if you desire. Included in that you can also have a storefront, forum and many other services without paying a dime extra as it is included with hosting! Check out http://omnis.com for example.

Note that I didn't mention financial cost, but time cost.  The research and effort time necessary to hire and configure a email, web, and online storefront hosting system dwarfs the cost of the hosting itself.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 03:12:46 PM »
I did all of mine myself...
MOLON LABE!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 07:35:04 AM »
I wonder if I could get- Mastercurmudgeon@dilligaf.fu ?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 10:39:48 AM »

Just going by the "buy this domain name for $5!" emails I get from name.com several times a month. You can probably get just about anything you want.  :lol:

https://www.name.com/account/ntld/watcher
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2016, 12:29:04 PM »

.web, llc and mail are available...
MOLON LABE!