Author Topic: Home Invasion Fail  (Read 2459 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Home Invasion Fail
« on: September 22, 2016, 08:41:55 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Home Invasion Fail
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 08:56:02 PM »
I always enjoy stories with happy endings.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 06:51:50 AM »
It was only partially happy... two got away.

It looked like all three were armed with handguns.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 10:42:07 AM »

True, but it was still pretty funny watching them run from a girl (with a gun). I can just imagine the thoughts running through their peabrains when the tables turned. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 10:55:03 AM »
I've got some real issues with the last shot that she cranks off... A good several seconds after the rest.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 10:55:54 AM »

It looked like all three were armed with handguns.

"She done got one good.  kilt him."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 11:25:17 AM »
I've got some real issues with the last shot that she cranks off... A good several seconds after the rest.

After the fact and from my armchair, I've kind of got issues with all of her shots from the "defensive training" point of view. They kind of come off like 1950's B-movie cowboys and their one-handed haphazard shooting.

In real life though, I don't know how much training she's had, and from the looks of things, she was in a nightgown and possibly in bed. So I have to think about how I would react to waking up to three armed men in my home. Even having had defensive pistol training, I might revert to "blam blam blam" myself.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 12:04:30 PM »
Oh, I'm decidedly armchair quarterbacking.

It just looks damned bad to have someone, anyone, firing on a fleeing suspect.

Not to say that I wouldn't, but...

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 12:21:44 PM »
I have issues with all shots taken out the front door at fleeing criminals, endangering neighbors (I assume). In my state, shooting at someone who is no longer a threat to your life outside your home is a big no-no.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 12:25:10 PM »

It just looks damned bad to have someone, anyone, firing on a fleeing suspect.

Not to say that I wouldn't, but...

Agreed.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 01:03:10 PM »
My biggest problem with it is that she leaves the relative safety of the doorway on the left side of the screen, and seems oblivious to the guy that took a right turn. If he was crazy enough to do it, he could have come back and blind-sided her (and not in the good sense, where she puts him in her Christmas card photo, and he goes to Ole Miss).

As for any shots fired out the door, at their back-sides, yeah, that could be a legal problem. Personally, though, I wouldn't vote to convict her for that. She's a small woman, fighting off three men (armed or unarmed) in the middle of the night. I'd give her all manner of lee-way.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 01:07:31 PM »
I also take issue with her shots at the fleeing home invaders.  I would have hoped that she'd connected more times.  Also, I would have gone back and reloaded after going to slidelock before calling 911.

As for the appropriateness of the shots, I figure anyone criminal and immoral enough to invade someone's home takes the risk of being shot in the front, back, or sides by the homeowner.  If they catch lead, they are only getting what they deserved.

I am not going to jump on someone's back for not following optimal TTPs.  If she causes any of her neighbors harm, she will have to answer for it.

My biggest problem with it is that she leaves the relative safety of the doorway on the left side of the screen, and seems oblivious to the guy that took a right turn. If he was crazy enough to do it, he could have come back and blind-sided her (and not in the good sense, where she puts him in her Christmas card photo, and he goes to Ole Miss).

As for any shots fired out the door, at their back-sides, yeah, that could be a legal problem. Personally, though, I wouldn't vote to convict her for that. She's a small woman, fighting off three men (armed or unarmed) in the middle of the night. I'd give her all manner of lee-way.

All this ^^^ too.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 01:26:07 PM »
I'm not going to Monday Morning Quarterback her at all. She had a cell phone in one hand, gun in the other. I'm not going to demand anyone figure that out under stress in the dark just so they can get a proper Weaver stance going.

As to what looks like it might be a final "take that!" shot out the door, we have no idea or evidence the perp or perps who ran out that way were fleeing. For all I know they might have been turning, or taking a stand, or doubling back to help the third guy who went out the side because they didn't know where he was.

I promise not to duck.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 01:57:02 PM »
" For all I know they might have been turning, or taking a stand, or doubling back to help the third guy who went out the side because they didn't know where he was."

While that's a statistical possibility, I think the actual reality of it is somewhere beween a number so incredibly small that it can't be conceived of by the human brain, and JamisJockey's height in inches...

:rofl:

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 02:27:26 PM »
" For all I know they might have been turning, or taking a stand, or doubling back to help the third guy who went out the side because they didn't know where he was."

While that's a statistical possibility, I think the actual reality of it is somewhere beween a number so incredibly small that it can't be conceived of by the human brain, and JamisJockey's height in inches...

:rofl:

Maybe, but since it's your assertion that one final shot was a "bad shot" the burden of proof is on you or some putative prosecutor. Since there's no video of what was outside her door, or presumably there is no perp with an entry wound in his back, and even then, if there was, we don't know that it didn't happen in the confusion of the gunfight that happened inside, you have nothing.
I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: Home Invasion Fail
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 02:41:38 PM »
After the fact and from my armchair, I've kind of got issues with all of her shots from the "defensive training" point of view. They kind of come off like 1950's B-movie cowboys and their one-handed haphazard shooting.

In real life though, I don't know how much training she's had, and from the looks of things, she was in a nightgown and possibly in bed. So I have to think about how I would react to waking up to three armed men in my home. Even having had defensive pistol training, I might revert to "blam blam blam" myself.
If you were in a similar type of situation, the only thing I would second-guess is your choice of nightgown.....

.....let's celebrate her success and nit-pick later.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 03:13:35 PM »
Maybe, but since it's your assertion that one final shot was a "bad shot" the burden of proof is on you or some putative prosecutor. Since there's no video of what was outside her door, or presumably there is no perp with an entry wound in his back, and even then, if there was, we don't know that it didn't happen in the confusion of the gunfight that happened inside, you have nothing.

Maybe go back and actually, you know, READ what I wrote, and see that I never said it was a bad shot?

I said I had issues with it, and it LOOKS bad....

I never called the shot bad.

There's a distinct different.

So yeah, you have nothing, as well. Other than your own infertile imagination.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 03:35:01 PM »

.....let's celebrate her success and nit-pick later.

Absolutely. Hence my "after the fact and from the armchair".

I have no idea how I would react in similar circumstances. I've become a sounder sleeper in my old age, and while in my 30's could wake to every bump in the night and be at least at 90% efficiency, in my 50s I think it's closer to 50% efficiency and probably 50% on the even waking up to the bump.

I agree with roo_ster that when someone is in the castle, I don't care where the homeowner's shots land - in the front, in the back, right between the eyes from a slow and deliberate shot. Don't break into my home ahole. Not even to steal a cupcake. If the shots travel through neighbors' walls though, obviously there may be consequences for that.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 03:39:16 PM »
They kind of come off like 1950's B-movie cowboys and their one-handed haphazard shooting.

I know I need that other hand to navigate if I wake up to go pee.  Can't imagine I'd do much better with the instant delta-sleep-to-adrenaline-rush of a home invasion, especially since I'd soon be lighting off a 18.5" 12ga inside a rock building.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 03:45:57 PM »
"It's not common that we receive this caliber of surveillance video showing a crime unfold . . ."

Heh.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 04:11:14 PM »
We can second-guess tactics and legal fine points, but for me the overriding lesson from that video is just how fast an incident unfolds. Those dudes didn't wander in aimlessly and stop to look around - they were MOVIN' !!! And so was Mama San when she started unloading on the bad guys.

Longer version of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGJtzBaFg_I
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2016, 04:15:50 PM »
We can second-guess tactics and legal fine points, but for me the overriding lesson from that video s just how fast an ncident unfolds.

A very good point.  Fortifying the doors would be good.  If nothing else, it would slow down the intruders and give the occupants a little time to react.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2016, 04:16:20 PM »
If you were in a similar type of situation, the only thing I would second-guess is your choice of nightgown...

Tactics, man. Them soft cotton night-gowns feel kind of nice. There's a whole air flow.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2016, 05:21:18 PM »
A very good point.  Fortifying the doors would be good.  If nothing else, it would slow down the intruders and give the occupants a little time to react.

I like the idea of fortifying the doors.  It is something I need to do.  You could also try something cheap like this to give you a little warning. 

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Personal-Security-Door-Alarm/dp/B0000YNR4M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1474665603&sr=8-4&keywords=door+wedge+alarm
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2016, 05:25:09 PM »
I like the idea of fortifying the doors.  It is something I need to do.  You could also try something cheap like this to give you a little warning. 

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Personal-Security-Door-Alarm/dp/B0000YNR4M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1474665603&sr=8-4&keywords=door+wedge+alarm