Author Topic: Tell me again how the UN is relevant?  (Read 1460 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Tell me again how the UN is relevant?
« on: September 28, 2016, 09:18:39 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/09/27/u-s-owes-black-people-reparations-for-a-history-of-racial-terrorism-says-u-n-panel/

U.S. owes black people reparations for a history of ‘racial terrorism,’ says U.N. panel

The reparations could come in a variety of forms, according to the panel, including "a formal apology, health initiatives, educational opportunities ... 

I'm pretty sure quite a bit of that has already been provided in a variety of forms but with out the label of "reparations" attached. Also "Affirmative Action" can be added to the list.

If they keep playing the same hand over and over eventually they will get results, I just don't think the results will be what they want them to be.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Tell me again how the UN is relevant?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 11:08:31 AM »
How many current UN members allow slavery?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 11:12:16 AM »
How many current UN members allow slavery?

officially?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 11:26:04 AM »

Meh, they do this sort of thing for the PR. Costs them nothing, people pay attention to them for a bit, they sound good to the 'right people'. Ignoring them is the best policy for these kinds of proposals, and the UN more generally.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 12:24:52 PM »
White on Powder Blue makes an easy target in an urban environment, even better when ya get in the boonies.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 02:24:06 PM »
White on Powder Blue makes an easy target in an urban environment, even better when ya get in the boonies.

Why is this a reoccurring meme, btw?

There's literally zero chance of "UN troops" invading. First off, the UN has zero troops. None, nodda. They occasionally have police but it's on a per country basis. UNMIK for example had police, and they were limited to very specific things. Mostly providing protection for officials because the local cops weren't exactly neutral or trustworthy. The UN has to ask for troops, and countries have to provide them. The original country still owns their troops. There may be a "UN commander", but they're still just XYZ country's officer that is nominally in charge of other countries' units by agreement. Zero difference from our NATO, non-NATO, non-UN or joint operations.

Not many foreign troops would voluntarily invade America. Actually, none aside from Russia or China. Only countries that essentially would be willing to shoot their own troops to maintain discipline COULD even land. That rules out most of the world. This isn't academic. I've discussed it with foreign troops/cops. To the last man, none would volunteer for occupation and virtually all of them would mutiny.
Secondly, said countries have to be willing to accept massive casualties. Which also rules out most of the world.
Third, they have to have the resources to fight a country of 300 plus million. Which rules out most of the world.

It's completely stupid, and yet persistently enduring, conspiracy theory. So, I'm actually curious. Besides "I don't like them, so they're capable of any evil I can imagine", why does that meme survive?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Tell me again how the UN is relevant?
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 02:34:59 PM »

There's literally zero chance of "UN troops" invading. First off, the UN has zero troops. None, nodda. They occasionally have police but it's on a per country basis. UNMIK for example had police, and they were limited to very specific things. Mostly providing protection for officials because the local cops weren't exactly neutral or trustworthy. The UN has to ask for troops, and countries have to provide them. The original country still owns their troops. There may be a "UN commander", but they're still just XYZ country's officer that is nominally in charge of other countries' units by agreement. Zero difference from our NATO, non-NATO, non-UN or joint operations.

Not many foreign troops would voluntarily invade America. Actually, none aside from Russia or China. Only countries that essentially would be willing to shoot their own troops to maintain discipline COULD even land. That rules out most of the world. This isn't academic. I've discussed it with foreign troops/cops. To the last man, none would volunteer for occupation and virtually all of them would mutiny.
Secondly, said countries have to be willing to accept massive casualties. Which also rules out most of the world.
Third, they have to have the resources to fight a country of 300 plus million. Which rules out most of the world.

It's completely stupid, and yet persistently enduring, conspiracy theory. So, I'm actually curious. Besides "I don't like them, so they're capable of any evil I can imagine", why does that meme survive?
Why? Al jones

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 02:36:16 PM »

To add on to this...since most of the funding for the UN comes from the US how much money would we actually contribute to invade ourselves?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 02:37:35 PM »
To add on to this...since most of the funding for the UN comes from the US how much money would we actually contribute to invade ourselves?

If we had an American president who was willing to fund our invasion, he'd probably also provide the troops for such an event.

HOWEVER, I'm rather betting the troops might be slightly resistant to such an order.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 02:39:29 PM »
If we had an American president who was willing to fund our invasion, he'd probably also provide the troops for such an event.

HOWEVER, I'm rather betting the troops might be slightly completely resistant to such an order.

FIFY
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 02:43:01 PM »
FIFY

understatement
1. (noun) a statement that is restrained in ironic contrast to what might have been said
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2016, 03:41:59 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerika_(miniseries)

I recall this from when I was growing up.  It was not as described and all the "patriots" ended up killed, captured, or suicided.  I think the premise was that liberals voted to put all military forces under UN control and the Soviets engineered that Russian troops ended up in the US (surprise!).  Thinking back on it, the whole show was a bit silly.  However, I think it underestimates how foolish liberals can be.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 05:50:53 PM »
It's just another way for me to say "The UN can munch my stained, sweat soaked, tighty-whities and anyone that they drag along for the ride too, especially if they set foot in MY yard." ("my yard" can be literal, my neighborhood, state or country depending on the situation at the time)
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 06:24:40 PM »
The sentiment is a good one and ought to be encouraged.  And applied doubly to the ICC.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 06:34:38 PM »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 09:42:13 AM »
It's just another way for me to say "The UN can munch my stained, sweat soaked, tighty-whities and anyone that they drag along for the ride too, especially if they set foot in MY yard." ("my yard" can be literal, my neighborhood, state or country depending on the situation at the time)

Why would the UN want to set foot in your yard? Let alone deploy troops there.

Is anyone familiar with a deployment of multinational troops under UN Security Council mandate that was unrelated to a war zone?

I hate the UN as much as anyone here. Possibly moreso from first hand experience with their corruption, incompetence and worldview. But fearing a "UN invasion" from non-existent troops is just so weird, it's always struck me as odd. Especially since it's a long standing staple of often self-embraced right wing stereotypes. Is it kinda like the blanket statement "taxation is theft", not meant to be taken in a literal sense but a rhetorical device to express that multinationalism is bad?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re:
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 10:44:25 AM »
And will the UN also demand reparations from the African tribes that sold people into slavery as well?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 09:49:53 PM »
In order to determine the damage done to the injured group, the reparations should be based on a comparison of the average standard of living of the people living in the USA today as compared to the standard of living of those currently living in their ancestral homelands.

(Hmmm . . . in that case, the reparations would be a negative number.    >:D   )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 02:20:07 PM »
WOO-HOO!!!

Did they have a breakdown as to how much we descendants of (Irish) slaves will get and when we will we get our checks??

Wait, what?!?!   I'm the wrong colour ?!?!?!  But, but, but Slavery !!!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 11:58:29 AM »
Why would the UN want to set foot in your yard? Let alone deploy troops there.

Is anyone familiar with a deployment of multinational troops under UN Security Council mandate that was unrelated to a war zone?

I hate the UN as much as anyone here. Possibly moreso from first hand experience with their corruption, incompetence and worldview. But fearing a "UN invasion" from non-existent troops is just so weird, it's always struck me as odd. Especially since it's a long standing staple of often self-embraced right wing stereotypes. Is it kinda like the blanket statement "taxation is theft", not meant to be taken in a literal sense but a rhetorical device to express that multinationalism is bad?

As far fetched and an impossibility that it is- just like a a zombie apocalypse, a lot of people look at UN troops/Zombies as the ultimate in reactive targets.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2016, 04:23:29 PM »
Has the UN ever been relevant going back to its beginning?  There is little difference between it and the League of Nations.  We just haven't had a full blown WWIII yet.