Author Topic: Gun magnets  (Read 4066 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Gun magnets
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 02:34:13 PM »
The ones I've played with were not that strong.  Strong for their size, but not enough to hold a gun.
There are a variety of them out there.  Pull one from some of the older SCSI drives and it will be much more than strong enough. You may have to add additional layers of tape to reduce the pull strength.   Many have handy metal mounting plates with pre-drilled holes too.  Of course, sometimes the brackets they are mounted in are poorly shaped for these purposes.  Mixed bag.

I just tried a few and of the ones I tested only the really small ones from laptop drives lacked the pull through a few sheets of paper to hold a 1911 securely.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 02:57:49 PM »
Yep. Would need several in a line.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 03:48:33 PM »
Hey Mike, Ambulance Driver pointed me to where I had seen the mention on magnets (by Herohog). Andiron posted a link to a seller there as well.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=50131.0
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 04:20:26 PM »
Missed that thread, and my search terms were bad.

Another member here is very kindly sending me a magnet. He bought a bunch from a store and has extra.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re:
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 04:29:03 PM »
Missed that thread, and my search terms were bad.

Another member here is very kindly sending me a magnet. He bought a bunch from a store and has extra.

Please post a report. I'm interested in how it works out.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2016, 04:52:47 PM »
My concerns relate to the almost-inevitable "snap" when the gun hits the magnet thereby damaging the finish.  That rubber-coated magnet might do the trick, though

Another concern is if the magnet is attached to the surface only by its own magnetism, you may end up pulling the magnet off with the gun, making it darned unhandy to use.

I believe it might be possible for a magnetized gun (and it will be, to at least some extent) to negatively affect little things like inertial firing pins and firing pin block linkages.  But that's a big maybe, since the whole gun, including the lockwork, will be magnetized in the same direction. That's an "I dunno," for sure, but I see it as a possibility.

Hard steel, by the way, is easily permanently magnetized even by the earth's magnetic field, let alone by being held up by a magnet strong enough for it to hang from.

Take a screwdriver, point it north, rap it a couple of times with something hard, and you will find it can then pick up small pieces of iron, like tiny screws.  Sometimes that's good, sometimes it's bad.  I keep an old bulk tape eraser handy to demag tools when necessary.

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 05:55:17 PM »
I've played with these for years. American Sci & Surplus always has them because they're factory seconds. I remember buying them at the Milwaukee brick-n-mortar store as a teen.

Very strong. N/S polarized along the flat face. They're meant for pacemaker activation, or to throw them into programming mode, and the epoxy coating is so they can be cleaned medically/sterilized etc.  And the little bubbles or dents in the epoxy make them rejects.

They're the ceramic ferrite type so they're brittle and can shatter, especially if you allow two to slap into each other uncontrolled, but for a fixed mount it should work well, and the plastic/epoxy finish should be largely non-marring on a gun.

http://www.sciplus.com/p/blwh-donut-magnet_9930?ppc=shopping1&gclid=cjwkeaiaoik1brcrimqphvnlwlwsjaaoebpmnbxi6sxasyrfp4kqdcelquj-vpnyieb9xbwybe-wnbocht_w_wcb
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2016, 01:51:16 PM »
I've played with these for years. American Sci & Surplus always has them because they're factory seconds. I remember buying them at the Milwaukee brick-n-mortar store as a teen.

Very strong. N/S polarized along the flat face. They're meant for pacemaker activation, or to throw them into programming mode, and the epoxy coating is so they can be cleaned medically/sterilized etc.  And the little bubbles or dents in the epoxy make them rejects.

They're the ceramic ferrite type so they're brittle and can shatter, especially if you allow two to slap into each other uncontrolled, but for a fixed mount it should work well, and the plastic/epoxy finish should be largely non-marring on a gun.

http://www.sciplus.com/p/blwh-donut-magnet_9930?ppc=shopping1&gclid=cjwkeaiaoik1brcrimqphvnlwlwsjaaoebpmnbxi6sxasyrfp4kqdcelquj-vpnyieb9xbwybe-wnbocht_w_wcb

Love that store (we have one near us in Geneva)  We built a railgun once with some ball bearings, Rare earth magnets and Thomas the Tank Engine wooden railroad track.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 04:18:34 PM »
I simply have a block of wood screwed to underside of desk top, with a dowel rod inserted at a slight angle. Slide muzzle down onto rod. Place the block near side panel and far enough back so the gun isn't visible to casual observer.
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 04:22:07 PM »
I don't want to put it under a desk, I want to put it under a smallish table, so if it hangs down, it's going to be visible.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2016, 04:41:08 PM »
I'm disassembling some old crap drives at work, and will do some experimenting when I get home.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

robear

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2016, 04:43:15 PM »
Funny timing, I just installed one of these today to hold a Glock 22.   Holds it (and 15rds) with no problem.    It's plastic covered, so I don't think it will do any damage to the finish, but to be sure I stuck a small piece of the 'loop' Velcro to the face of the magnet that touches the gun.   I will be checking for any induced magnetism in the pistol over the coming days/weeks.   

I don't want to put it under a desk, I want to put it under a smallish table, so if it hangs down, it's going to be visible.
Maybe this is closer to what you need.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2016, 05:32:06 PM »
"Dammit Earl, I just can't figure why my gun always shoots a little bit north of point of aim."

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2016, 07:16:23 PM »
I'm disassembling some old crap drives at work, and will do some experimenting when I get home.

Any one of the 4 that I tried, could hold up my heaviest handgun (1911 full size), if you were careful where you attached it.  If using those, I'd double up (one front, one back), and mount the magnets on a strip of wood or something similar, to give a little extra clearance for the gun grip.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2016, 07:53:38 PM »
"Dammit Earl, I just can't figure why my gun always shoots a little bit north of point of aim."

Could be south.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2016, 08:00:50 PM »
Could be south.

More likely, he didn't adjust for magnetic declination for where he was shooting.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2016, 04:50:01 AM »
What is the table top material?  Will the magnet be strong enough to work through the top?  If you put your watch or cell phone on the table above the magnet, will it get wiped?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2016, 06:46:27 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2016, 08:20:09 PM »
I understand, Mike, but it might work for several other folks here.
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2016, 11:59:14 AM »
Finally getting around to updating this.

I finally put the magnet on the table, and stuck the gun to the magnet. Right now it's a Taurus PT-22, so not very challenging, but one of these days I'll get around to swapping it out for something a bit more capable, probably one of my 9mms or my S&W .40.

The holding power is VERY secure, you can't see it under the table (at least not the Taurus, it's a tiny little thing), and it's still pretty easy just to slide off the magnet.

The only concern I have is Seren. She's not taken notice of it yet, but I don't want her grabbing it and yanking it off the magnet as her new chew toy, so I'll have to wait to put another gun up there.

So, works great for my application.

Thanks, Battle Monkey!

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2016, 03:10:52 PM »
If she does, it's just a Taurus, right?   (Actually a Taurus I wouldn't mind tinkering with again.)