Author Topic: Tiangong-1 space station - Uncontrolled landing in 2017  (Read 3543 times)

Jim147

• friends
Re: Tiangong-1 space station - Uncontrolled landing in 2017
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2016, 05:42:06 PM »
I'm thinking they are using phosgene and they will set the nuke off in the atmosphere at 230's coordinates
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2016, 11:36:33 AM »
Well, by "nuclear components," I meant things like nuclear power supplies, not necessarily explosive devices.

I assume by low ballistic coefficient, birdman means "smallish, low-density, round objects."

I'll go along with that in the full set of variables involved.

Like throwing a balled-up paper wad across the room, as opposed to throwing a marble of the same weight.

And yes, those are the coordinates of the geographic center of the contiguous United States.

At first glance, they look like the coordinates of a random place, but have more significance than that.

The "center" is in South Dakota, if you include Hawaii and Alaska.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_center_of_the_contiguous_United_States

I found this amusing:

Method of measurement[edit]

In 1918, the Coast and Geodetic Survey found this location by balancing on a point a cardboard cutout shaped like the U.S.[5] Incredibly, this method was accurate to within 20 miles, but while the Geodetic Survey no longer endorses any location as the center of the U.S., the identification of Lebanon, Kansas has remained.

That's better than 1% accuracy, figuring 20/3000 miles.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:12:55 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2016, 12:36:50 PM »
That's better than 1% accuracy, figuring 20/3000 miles.

There you go with your 1% cis-privilege, geo-shaming other less coordinate fortunate locations.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

birdman

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2016, 02:36:23 PM »

I assume by low ballistic coefficient, birdman means "smallish, low-density, round objects."

Ballistic coefficient is Mass/(CdA).
Think of it as mass per unit drag.

One can have:
small, high BC objects (rifle bullets)
Small, low BC objects (pistol bullets)
(Both of the above with the same mass)

Large high BC objects (ICBM RV's)
Large low BC objects (spheres or aero-stable blunt bodies)
(Both of the above with the same mass)

Basically, terminal velocity is a direct function of BC.
A high BC object will have a lower peak heating rate as it slows down substantially in the upper atmosphere, while a high BC object will be going faster, lower, and thus have a higher peak heating.

So as long as you make something "fluffy" it doesn't hit that high of an acceleration or heating.  This is why things like an inflatable ballute can be used for re-entry.  Get the BC low enough and you can keep the heating rate low and level out the acceleration if it's a shallow trajectory.

Conversely, a very streamlined, 20cm dia X 20m long (12 tons) tungsten telephone pole would have a hypersonic terminal velocity of close to 2.5-3km/s, and would actually -speed up- from orbital velocity until it hit about 60-70,000ft, even if vertical!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 04:38:23 PM »
Basically, terminal velocity is a direct function of BC.
A high low BC object will have a lower peak heating rate as it slows down substantially in the upper atmosphere, while a high BC object will be going faster, lower, and thus have a higher peak heating.

Correction!  Thanks 230RN for pointing my error out.  You win 1 birdman point  =)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2016, 01:36:14 AM »
Thanks !  That leaves me with only -17 birdman points to eliminate.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.