Author Topic: As long as you don't insist on your rights, we won't charge you.  (Read 3969 times)

tokugawa

• friend
http://www.gazettenet.com/MarijuanaRaid-HG-100116-5074664

synopsis- Old lady gets raided for pot plant, (a, as in one) cops take it and leave. 

They tell the homeowner  "as long as you don't insist on a warrant for us coming on your property and searching,, we won't file charges." 

How very sweet of them.  Reminds me of some of the "plea bargain" deals.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: As long as you don't insist on your rights, we won't charge you.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 12:12:46 PM »
Well, I just burned up another "free look" at the Hampshire Gazette's pages.  Time to clear my cookies, I guess.

I think LEOs ought to be able to use a certain amount of field judgment, but I agree that raiding without a search warrant on the premise that "if you don't tell on us, we won't tell on you" is pretty sleazy, if not illegal.

Apparently, the lady and her son might go to court over it.  Not sure what good it will do in terms of their own situation, or even if they have some kind of standing, but it sure will increase publicity over the "war on some drugs," as one of our posters calls it.

Colorado brought in $135M in fees and taxes on marijuana sales last year.  This does not take account of the $ saved in incarceration costs for pot users and the initial enforcement costs. 

Like with helicopters and special IR equipment and the salaries of the officers and like that there.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 12:29:41 PM »
Well, I just burned up another "free look" at the Hampshire Gazette's pages.  Time to clear my cookies, I guess.

I think LEOs ought to be able to use a certain amount of field judgment, but I agree that raiding without a search warrant on the premise that "if you don't tell on us, we won't tell on you" is pretty sleazy, if not illegal.

Apparently, the lady and her son might go to court over it.  Not sure what good it will do in terms of their own situation, or even if they have some kind of standing, but it sure will increase publicity over the "war on some drugs," as one of our posters calls it.

What the cops did was definitely illegal, but she didn't have a medical use card, so her having the plant was also illegal. She wants to stand up for her rights, but that unfortunately includes the right to be arrested and charged for breaking the law.

Yes, what the cops did was wrong and an incredibly wasteful use of police (and National Guard) resources, but you have to look at it from their perspective: They put a pot grower out of business, no shots were fired, and everyone went home at the end of his/her shift.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 07:13:01 PM »
Sure is a good thing they got that dangerous plant off the streets

Im sure relieved that I have laws to tell me what my rights are and what morality is

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 07:18:01 PM »
All that for 21 *expletive deleted*ing plants?

What an embarrassing waste of time and money
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 07:45:05 PM »
What's extremely low maintenance and looks a lot like pot on a thermal imager?

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 09:03:28 PM »
What's extremely low maintenance and looks a lot like pot on a thermal imager?

Anything that requires a lot of grow lights. Also, some types of Japanese maples have been mistaken for pot in the past...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 11:28:42 PM »
My late aunt used to grow castor bean plants. Very pretty foliage and flowers but from a distance kind of looked like Weed.
One Summer she had a unmarked dark chopper making regular "low and slow" flyovers of her garden.
It was going on for several weeks and I was visiting for one of the fly overs. Not much more than 100' off the deck and moving at maybe a walking pace.
We went out to watch and I waved and motioned fro them to come on down. They didn't and my aunt said she never saw them after that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 12:17:43 AM »

Colorado brought in $135M in fees and taxes on marijuana sales last year.  This does not take account of the $ saved in incarceration costs for pot users and the initial enforcement costs. 

Ayup
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 12:19:16 AM »
My late aunt used to grow castor bean plants. Very pretty foliage and flowers but from a distance kind of looked like Weed.
One Summer she had a unmarked dark chopper making regular "low and slow" flyovers of her garden.
It was going on for several weeks and I was visiting for one of the fly overs. Not much more than 100' off the deck and moving at maybe a walking pace.
We went out to watch and I waved and motioned fro them to come on down. They didn't and my aunt said she never saw them after that.

Do a flyover in any county in Eastern Iowa and the ditches are full of hemp. Weeds now, but left over from the days of growing hemp for fiber.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 10:34:09 AM »
<aside>
I think Colorado allows you to grow 4 plants for personal use without being challenged as a dealer.  State law, not federal.</aside>

Sure is a good thing they got that dangerous plant off the streets

I'm sure relieved that I have laws to tell me what my rights are and what morality is

Basic agreement here.  The majority decided to make it illegal to sell cars and booze on Sunday (both laws now repealed).  I mean, why not St. Swithun's Day (July 15th) as well?

I believe that was one of the nation's founders' overriding fears:  the tyranny of the majority.  Hence we were set up as a republic, not a democracy.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:08:36 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 09:07:39 AM »
If the search was illegal, they should be acquitted anyway... :police:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 10:21:31 AM »
It would just cost them money in attorney fees. 

What would it do to our system if the Govt was liable for the courts/attorney costs of the defense if there was an acquittal? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 11:19:35 AM »
I believe that was one of the nation's founders' overriding fears:  the tyranny of the majority.  Hence we were set up as a republic, not a democracy.

That's great in theory, but it's long dead in practice. I went to high school in the 1950s and 60s. Even back in 8th grade Social Studies class (which I guess they call "Civics" today) we were taught that the United States is a democracy. What they DIDN'T teach us was about the electoral college (which I still don't understand), or about the fact that senators were originally elected by the state legislatures rather than by direct popular vote.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 02:50:59 PM »

The process IS the punishment, anymore. They can bankrupt us, ruin our lives for years, we walk away innocent ,worn out paupers.  What a deal.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 09:43:36 PM »
It would just cost them money in attorney fees. 

What would it do to our system if the Govt was liable for the courts/attorney costs of the defense if there was an acquittal? 

Not sure about an acquittal,  as the threat of paying acquittal might increase charges in hope of making something stick,  or pushing for a plea bargain.  Ohio has a rule with appeals.  If an appeal is found to be without a reasonable basis, the appealing party can be ordered to pay costs.  So, maybe have the jury or judge evaluate if there was a reasonable basis for charges, and award costs to the defendant if not.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 01:40:40 AM »
The process IS the punishment, anymore. They can bankrupt us, ruin our lives for years, we walk away innocent ,worn out paupers.  What a deal.

My idea, because of what Mech mentioned - charging more to justify conviction on something to justify the whole 9 yards, was to make the expenses properly part of the punishment. 

IE if they do $100k of damage to your house in order to find 1 partial joint or such, and the jury, which isn't allowed to know the damage they caused, only fines you $1000, then the government owes you $99k.

If they do $1k damage and you're fined $2k, then you only owe $1k.  Come up with some figure, likely $10k-20k, per year of imprisonment.  DO NOT LET THE JUDGE OR JURY CONSIDER THE DAMAGE POLICE DID WHEN CONSIDERING PUNISHMENT.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 02:02:20 AM »
That's great in theory, but it's long dead in practice. I went to high school in the 1950s and 60s. Even back in 8th grade Social Studies class (which I guess they call "Civics" today) we were taught that the United States is a democracy. What they DIDN'T teach us was about the electoral college (which I still don't understand), or about the fact that senators were originally elected by the state legislatures rather than by direct popular vote.

Electoral college is relatively easy.  Okay, Representative government, IE government by representation.  Back in the day, election periods were shorter than today, and without mass media, odds were that you might get to see the major candidates ONCE during an election cycle if you lived in a big city(or were willing to travel), and remember, most didn't live in the big cities.

So, you end up voting for somebody to pick a president for you.  Electoral college.  One representative per representative - 2 for the senators(who were selected by state governments at first) and however many representatives you had(population based), which were directly elected.

The senate was supposed to be the 'snooty' side, equivalent to the house of lords.  They figured that it'd be more professional, being picked by each state government.  They were to represent the state's interests in the federal government, while the representatives were to represent the people.

Anyways, back to the college.  So the college goes to Washington DC, and they do their voting for president.  While bound for a given candidate, theoretically speaking, if the current candidates died, which was much more common back then, or turned into raving loonies, the college could select somebody else, and we'd still have a president when the time came, without having to hold another election.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 09:55:36 AM »
IE if they do $100k of damage to your house in order to find 1 partial joint or such, and the jury, which isn't allowed to know the damage they caused, only fines you $1000, then the government owes you $99k.

Still doesn't help as long as they're just diverting more taxpayer money.  It needs to come out of the same predetermined overall budget as salaries, bonuses, equipment, etc.

If they lose it all, they'll just have to make do with volunteers using last year's equipment until they learn.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
I believe that was one of the nation's founders' overriding fears:  the tyranny of the majority.  Hence we were set up as a republic, not a democracy.

No, I think one of their overriding fears was a distant, out of touch government, unresponsive and uncaring about the needs of the local populace. (Read the Declaration's list of grievances.)

That is why they set up a Federal Republic, where most power was to be exercised as close and as accountable to the people as possible.

Our problem isn't with the "Republic" part or the "Democracy" part. Our problem is we've lost federalism.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2016, 11:43:02 AM »
No, I think one of their overriding fears was a distant, out of touch government, unresponsive and uncaring about the needs of the local populace. (Read the Declaration's list of grievances.)

That is why they set up a Federal Republic, where most power was to be exercised as close and as accountable to the people as possible.

Our problem isn't with the "Republic" part or the "Democracy" part. Our problem is we've lost federalism.

I must not understand federalism. I'll have to dig up copies of The Federalist Papers and The Anti-Federalist Papers for a refresher. I thought federalism meant a stronger national government, and that it was the anti-federalists who wanted to keep as much power as possible at the state level.

Do I have it reversed?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2016, 12:11:52 PM »
I must not understand federalism. I'll have to dig up copies of The Federalist Papers and The Anti-Federalist Papers for a refresher. I thought federalism meant a stronger national government, and that it was the anti-federalists who wanted to keep as much power as possible at the state level.

Do I have it reversed?

No, you are correct in the naming of the parties. It's confusing because federalism means the dispersing of power through multiple entities, rather than concentrating it in one. Federalists wanted a stronger central government and Anti-federalists were for more decentralized power.

(As another note, even the Federalists would be shocked at the centralization we have today and would gladly side against the current state of the government.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2016, 01:30:08 PM »
It's called Social Studies.  Civics is not taught in school anymore.  They do go over the Constitution, but just in generalities.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2016, 03:05:55 PM »
We had a civics class that included a 1/2 year of state government and a half year of federal govt.  We didn't study the constitution, but we did cover representatives, senators, and the electoral college.  I don't know if they still do that these days. 

I do wonder if we should go back to Senators being chosen by the states (and recalled if the legislators want).  I think some of the concentration of federal power is due to states no longer having any say in federal laws.  Would state appointed Senators vote to hold states hostage with their own tax money?  Maybe.

I like the electoral college.  I am fine with winner take all states for delegates.  I just think a straight up mass populace vote would not be good in the long run.  I think people are too impatient for "change" and forget that it will go badly more often than it will go good.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2016, 03:38:01 PM »
On the reimbursement thing, it wasn't just this case that had me thinking.  I am almost done reading "Thank God I Had a Gun" by Chris Bird.  One story I finished had a guy going for months facing charges of essentially brandishing and threatening some punks.  He called 911, but so did the other party and the cops believed them and pretty much assumed he was lying.  After delays, his lawyer finally found a 911 call from a witness who backed up the old man's story and gave license plate numbers and descriptions.  The police and prosecutors pretty much failed to thoroughly investigate the incident and there were a few outright lies on the police report.  His lawyer thinks the prosecutor never bothered to listen to the 911 tapes, much less check for other calls.    

IMO, he should be able to get his attorney fees and other losses reimbursed over that.  I am just not sure how to do so it doesn't become another abused system.  Also, a big part of the cost these days is for getting bailed out of jail.  If someone does not have bail money, how long are they required to sit and rot without a speedy trial?

https://www.amazon.com/Thank-God-Had-Gun-Self-Defense/dp/098359015X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476126527&sr=8-2&keywords=had+a+gun
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 03:53:34 PM by MechAg94 »