Author Topic: As long as you don't insist on your rights, we won't charge you.  (Read 3970 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: As long as you don't insist on your rights, we won't charge you.
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2016, 04:20:21 PM »
If someone does not have bail money, how long are they required to sit and rot without a speedy trial?

This.  It's unfortunate the Founders didn't put a number (and a suitably small one) on that. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2016, 10:02:04 PM »
I have been thinking about Texas Law Shield or Second Call Defense lately just for some insurance if something happens.  Those are just for self defense incidents though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2016, 03:52:50 AM »
I wonder just how many lives have been essentially destroyed by either incompetence or outright malfeasance on the part of some government toady and then "Oops sorry about that, move along now" and they manage to "move on" with what little is left of their life and either slide into oblivion or ?? ?
This country has too many Harvey Milquetoastes and not enough Marvin Heemeyers.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2016, 01:56:19 PM »
Well, I just burned up another "free look" at the Hampshire Gazette's pages.  Time to clear my cookies, I guess.

I think LEOs ought to be able to use a certain amount of field judgment, but I agree that raiding without a search warrant on the premise that "if you don't tell on us, we won't tell on you" is pretty sleazy, if not illegal.

My brother once admitted he was carrying a substantial amount of pot on him.  Cop dumped most of it on the side of the road, taking it down to "misdemeanor, but you're still going to jail" amount.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »
My brother once admitted he was carrying a substantial amount of pot on him.  Cop dumped most of it on the side of the road, taking it down to "misdemeanor, but you're still going to jail" amount.

The overwhelming bulk of police are normal mostly decent folks. Granted it is a job that can leave one jaded pretty quickly, but mostly decent. Sometimes it is easy to forget this.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.