Author Topic: Detectorists  (Read 746 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Detectorists
« on: October 10, 2016, 12:43:12 AM »
Detectorists is a British series available on Netflix. About some blokes out with their metal detectors. Very quirky. It's a sort of comedy/ drama that doesn't usually make you laugh, but makes you smile. The humor is very British. Writing is excellent. Recommended.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

De Selby

• friend
Re: Detectorists
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 01:15:50 AM »
It is hilarious
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 02:57:20 PM »
Thread necro.

The Detectorists now have a movie.

The Detectorists Special.

Apparently it was released in 2022 but I hadn't noticed it until today.

Now you know.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 03:24:36 PM »
Thanks for that Necro! It's been a long time since I watched the series. I'll have to do the Acorn free trial.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 05:55:18 AM »
Thread necro.

The Detectorists now have a movie.

The Detectorists Special.

Apparently it was released in 2022 but I hadn't noticed it until today.

Now you know.

Whaat?  A whole movie about the Detective Special?  How'd I miss that?

Oh... umm wait.

Never mind.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 08:10:18 AM »
I've been streaming the British series Time Team in the background while I'm at work. It's about British archaeology investigators. The pick a site and spend 3 days trying to sort it out. They often call in metal detectorists to assist. The host is Tony Robinson, aka Baldrick from Black Adder.

Metal detectorists are both a boon and a bane to archaeology -- most archaeologists in the US thing the latter.

If you want to get your ass clapped into jail, pull out a metal detector on Federal or State park grounds, especially former Civil War battlefields.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 11:09:53 AM »
There's a small shack near Boulder CO just off Indian Road
a little south of highway 128 on what used to be the Rocky Flats Nuclear plant grounds.  I forget what they called them, but they were for overnight and weather shelter for cowpokes and their mounts in what was then way out in the boonies.  The hail on the virtually treeless plains can get pretty deadly for man and livestock.

Anyhow, a friend of mine was a fairly avid "detectorist" and mentioned once that he decided to cross the fence to the bomb trigger plant and scout around the shack with his metal detector.

He found a couple of old rifle shells and a tin cup and was about to leave when security showed up in a jeep.  His thin excuse was that he didn't know it was a toppityy secretty area. They detained him for a while and they took his ID and got his car plate number and did radio stuff from the jeep and finally let him go.

My reaction to this story I kept to myself but included the unspoken words stupid and ass.  At the time, there were signs all up and down the borders of the plant declaring dire consequences for trespassing.

So he got away with it for the sake of a couple of common old cartridge cases and a tin cup.

I drove by there a couple of times a few years ago to meet my Son2 and the shack was still there.  I think I remember they used to call them "line shacks," but don't bet on that.

Terry, 230RN

REF (The plant.  The aerial photos don't do it justice.  It was on a HUGE tract of land. Large enough, I guess, to "dilute" the effects of an accidental critical mass.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Flats_Plant
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 11:33:04 AM by 230RN »

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 11:26:23 AM »
It took a few sittings but I finished the movie today. It ended in typical Detectorist fashion, with more of a whimper than a bang. The series and movie both create a kind of (not unpleasant) melancholy feeling for me. It leaves me missing something I've never had, somehow. Overall, the humor, as subtle as it is, makes it well worth the time. The series was funnier than the movie though.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht