Author Topic: Vehicle Seat Covers for Older Dogs?  (Read 853 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Vehicle Seat Covers for Older Dogs?
« on: October 12, 2016, 01:11:04 PM »
Looking for recommendations, either store bought or making my own, for a good way to cover a vehicle seat to prevent leakage from an incontinent dog.

At 15, Romy has gotten to the point where she can't always completely hold #1 on car trips (no #2 troubles yet, luckily). It's been a bummer because for the last couple of years I haven't been able to take her on fishing and camping trips, which we always did together. She still loves driving in the truck though, and I will take her on short trips into town to pick up rent, go to Lowes, or whatever that's less than an hour.

Most of the time she holds it for that short length, but other times, like this morning, she will "leak" just a little. She doesn't full blown pee, but maybe a couple of ounces leak out. Not sure if it's a little at a time, or a short spurt when I lift her in or out of the truck (she can't get in by herself anymore).

Anyway, long story longer, right now I'm just using an Cabelas nylon seatcover (in camo, her favorite color), and underneath I have a large hefty garbage bag laid out to keep anything from leaking through to the seat (especially on the new truck). Wondering if there's some extra layers I should use, or maybe there's an absorbent pet seatcover out there that I can just remove and rinse whenever she has an accident? The nylon seatcover seems to mostly absorb the small amounts she leaks to the point that I only see a tiny bit of moisture on the trash bag. I'm just worried about her first full blown incident that leaks past the seatcover and then dribbles down the waterproof trashbag to the carpet or other parts of the seat. Seems like I need another absorbent layer (that's easily cleaned or else cheap and disposable) between the seatcover and trashbag, or a pet seatcover made for the job.

Any recommendations?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Vehicle Seat Covers for Older Dogs?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 01:13:35 PM »
Also, talk to your vet.

The leakage is often a product of the dog being spayed.

My girl Nikky had that problem, so I put her on estrogen supplements, which helped QUITE A bit.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 01:38:48 PM »
I have the cabelas nylon covers in my land cruiser and they worked well for some dog leakage.  What I did underneath was a garbage bag like you but with an old towel doubled over as well.  Anything that got through would be retained in the towel on top of the garbage bag.

This was when Maddie was a pup and learning the truck.  She got over excited and let loose a few times.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 01:44:56 PM »
I have the cabelas nylon covers in my land cruiser and they worked well for some dog leakage.  What I did underneath was a garbage bag like you but with an old towel doubled over as well.  Anything that got through would be retained in the towel on top of the garbage bag.

This was when Maddie was a pup and learning the truck.  She got over excited and let loose a few times.

I have a ton of those white Costco terry rags. That might be my first change. A couple of those between the seatcover and the garbage bag should be enough even if she fully pees, and they're cheap enough that I can just dump them and replace. Think I'll give that a go.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 02:08:20 PM »
Yeah, I'd go with the towel and garbage bag method, rather than buy a new seat cover, especially since even the good ones don't hold up well through too many trips through the washer.
Also, if there is leakage, a bottle Nature's Miracle is your friend.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 02:14:15 PM »
How bout something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Petphabet-Count-Ultra-Absorbent-Inches-Training/dp/B01FEBZXM4?th=1

Huh. Didn't even know about those. Might give them a try as well. Looks like they're less messy than a cotton towel.