Author Topic: Replacing Wikipedia  (Read 10024 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Replacing Wikipedia
« on: October 18, 2016, 09:28:14 AM »
http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/10/10/anti-thought-police-infogalactic-launches-as-wikipedia-alternative/

Infogalactic promise to solve the common issues with community-edited online information through “objectivity, proven game design principles, and a sophisticated series of algorithms.” The website is currently in phase one of their five phase plan that is designed to improve factual accuracy and neutralize vandalism.

“The single biggest problem with Wikipedia isn’t Jimmy Wales or its outmoded 1995 technology, but the fact that it is patrolled by 532 left-wing thought police who aggressively force their biased perspective on the rest of the world,” said Vox Day.

Here is a link to the competing site:
https://infogalactic.com/
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Replacing Wikipedia
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 09:51:53 AM »
I'm well aware of Wikipedia's problems and censors, but the idea that Vox Day could provide a restaurant menu that was "without bias" is laughable, much less a website.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 10:48:12 AM »
There needs to be a Cortex....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 11:01:29 AM »
Oh gods, this is another Vox Day's ego project?

Vox Day doing anything without bias is like building an ocean without water. I'm not saying he's always wrong, but I will say he is probably one of the most biased individuals on the planet.

That said, wikipedia is a great resource if you stay away from current events. Hard science stuff tends to be pretty decent. History is usually decent, if taken with a taste of salt. Current events or persons? Any change to any current person or event should require a three person of opposite ideologies signing off said update before it goes live.

It'd be nice to have a higher quality alternative, but many have tried and all have failed for various definitions of failure.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 12:12:09 PM »
It'd be nice to have a higher quality alternative, but many have tried and all have failed for various definitions of failure.

Like when they call it "Conservapedia"? :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 12:25:32 PM »
The proof will be in the pudding. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 06:26:54 PM »
The proof will be in the pudding.[Citation needed]

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Replacing Wikipedia
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 07:15:36 PM »
The proof will be in the pudding.[Citation needed]
Will you accept wikinfogalaconservadramatapedia as a source?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 08:58:43 PM »

Why Coitinly !

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 04:34:06 PM »
I was just reading this really sad little article on Wikipedia, which seems to have been written and edited almost soley by members of the movement it describes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Only_movement

Has some factual inaccuracies, and little input from opposing viewpoints.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 05:59:54 PM »
I was just reading this really sad little article on Wikipedia, which seems to have been written and edited almost soley by members of the movement it describes:

What happens frequently with articles like that (not saying its necessarily the case here) on Wikipedia is you get a few rabid editors dedicated to a small subset of articles who revert changes anyone else makes, and are dedicated to such reversions to a point where it doesn't seem possible that they have any day job besides removing competing viewpoints.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 10:39:15 PM »
What happens frequently with articles like that (not saying its necessarily the case here) on Wikipedia is you get a few rabid editors dedicated to a small subset of articles who revert changes anyone else makes, and are dedicated to such reversions to a point where it doesn't seem possible that they have any day job besides removing competing viewpoints.

I'm sure. I posted it because it seems like the opposite of left-wing slant. Not that most conservative/libertarians would be KJVO, but most KJVO are (I presume) conservative/libertarian.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 02:00:08 AM »

Agreed.

It annoys me that any biblical discussions don't have a link to the historical evidence.  They should all mention that Jesus's bones have arguably already been found, at a site that is to date the most likely candidate for final resting place of the first Christian.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 07:19:18 AM »

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 07:57:44 AM »
I read that novel, and it was awful.

https://www.amazon.com/Skeleton-Gods-Closet-Paul-Maier/dp/1501274015

I was talking about the actual tomb with Jesus, his mother Mary, dad Joseph, and brother James found in Israel.

Of course it could always be some other famous Jewish family from the 30's AD, who by chance have all the same names AND family relationships as the people written about in the gospels.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 08:19:04 AM »
I was talking about the actual tomb with Jesus, his mother Mary, dad Joseph, and brother James found in Israel.

Of course it could always be some other famous Jewish family from the 30's AD, who by chance have all the same names AND family relationships as the people written about in the gospels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talpiot_Tomb

Ehhh. Not concrete. Possible, but not concrete.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 08:29:52 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talpiot_Tomb

Ehhh. Not concrete. Possible, but not concrete.

It's almost impossible for it to be concrete due to age,  but ask yourself this:

If you were looking for a Jesus tomb, what names would be in it, and where would it be?

The detractors seem to mainly harp on about it not fitting the bible.  Still, it seems to me worth further investigation with that collection of names.

It has the correct location, correct set of names, and correct age.  There's certainly nothing that obviously rules it out, and much to suggest it could be the spot.  It might explain why all of the resurrection texts we have are clearly of later origin than the un-altered gospel of Mark.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 09:20:39 AM »
It's almost impossible for it to be concrete due to age,  but ask yourself this:

If you were looking for a Jesus tomb, what names would be in it, and where would it be?

The detractors seem to mainly harp on about it not fitting the bible.  Still, it seems to me worth further investigation with that collection of names.

It has the correct location, correct set of names, and correct age.  There's certainly nothing that obviously rules it out, and much to suggest it could be the spot.  It might explain why all of the resurrection texts we have are clearly of later origin than the un-altered gospel of Mark.

Your narrative has been constructed with the presupposition that it is the family tomb of Jesus. To me it looks like you are rationalizing backward to support your decision to believe it to be so.

After reading, admittedly just a little bit on this, it is obvious there is no proof one way or another. In fact I would submit that if there was definitive proof, statistical or otherwise, it would be the biggest story in our lifetimes. The first red flag for you should have been that the supposed proof is statistical in nature. That is a weak proof for anything and as we all know both sides of every issue generally can marshal statistics to support their position.   

Like much in life the safe position regarding this is to say, hmmm, I don't know. 
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 09:24:56 AM »

I knew what you were talking about, and given the substantial evidence for Christ's resurrection, your sarcastic hypothesis is the more likely.

The detractors seem to mainly harp on about it not fitting the bible. 

Well, that does seem to be an important consideration.  =)

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 05:18:20 PM »

I knew what you were talking about, and given the substantial evidence for Christ's resurrection, your sarcastic hypothesis is the more likely.

Well, that does seem to be an important consideration.  =)

More evidence for the resurrection is where?  How's that compare to the actual body and tomb?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 05:26:57 PM »
More evidence for the resurrection is where?  How's that compare to the actual body and tomb?

Eye-witnesses testimony vs. speculation that they may have found a body? Really?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 06:15:57 PM »

Eye-witnesses testimony vs. speculation that they may have found a body? Really?

Eye witness, as in documents transcribed by unknown people and copied by hand for 300 years before anyone organised them?

Anyway, they certainly got a conspicuous list of names right - we have a Davidic relative in a tomb who matches the story perfectly

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 06:35:09 PM »
Eye witness, as in documents transcribed by unknown people and copied by hand for 300 years before anyone organised them?

Organized them? What's that supposed to mean? Copied by hand? You're right, they should have taken photos - those can't be hacked.

Anyway, they certainly got a conspicuous list of names right - we have a Davidic relative in a tomb who matches the story perfectly

Perfectly? I thought you said it didn't match the Bible? Besides, a bunch of very common names being found in a tomb, two thousand years later? Even if it were a perfect match, that's as far as it goes. Some names.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 06:44:16 PM »
Organized them? What's that supposed to mean? Copied by hand? You're right, they should have taken photos - those can't be hacked.

Perfectly? I thought you said it didn't match the Bible? Besides, a bunch of very common names being found in a tomb, two thousand years later? Even if it were a perfect match, that's as far as it goes. Some names.

The thing you're ignoring is a set of common names with the same relationships described in the bible, centred around a Jesus descended from David.  That makes the odds that it is another family not described in the bible significantly lower.

EYA:  Of course that isn't proof those bones are the biblical Jesus.  But it's certainly worth investigating.  Nothing obviously rules it out other than the resurrection story, of which an eye witness authored or recorded account does not exist.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 07:01:13 PM by De Selby »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 07:17:38 PM »
The thing you're ignoring is a set of common names with the same relationships described in the bible, centred around a Jesus descended from David.  That makes the odds that it is another family not described in the bible significantly lower.

EYA:  Of course that isn't proof those bones are the biblical Jesus.  But it's certainly worth investigating.  Nothing obviously rules it out other than the resurrection story, of which an eye witness authored or recorded account does not exist.

You're saying no one testified to seeing the risen Jesus?

Also, since this thread is about Wikipedia, can you cite sources for the relationships and connection to David?