Author Topic: Replacing Wikipedia  (Read 10021 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Replacing Wikipedia
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2016, 07:37:55 PM »
So the problem is that I have prejudged Jesus not to be God, and had I accepted that fact I would realise the tomb isn't real???  See the problem there?  You need the religious belief first to make the facts fit your evidence.

Your rejection of Christianity colors your interpretation of the find.

You don't believe so it must be Jesus in the tomb (yippee!)

Are non Christians the only ones blessed with lack of bias?

Whats so controversial about pointing that out?

Relying on so called statistical evidence to prove some point is just silly also. Everyone knows you can skew stats by playing with the inputs. Nobody here is a statistician who has reviewed the work so it is just a baseless appeal to authority.

Much ado about nothing.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2016, 07:47:45 PM »
After having hundreds of hours put into these kinds of conversations, a truth was found:

You can't have a serious discussion about the historicity of a religious text unless you and the opposing party agree on whether or not the mythological aspects are objectively true or not. That's true for Christianity (Catholic, Protestant, LDS, etc.), Islam, Asian religiouns, Druidic/Wiccan varieties, and everything you can think of that has a text associated with it.

When people don't agree on that it's impossible to have a reasonable discourse. Standards of evidence will be completely different and foundational assumptions will be incompatible.

The follow-up to that is another truth: The number of people who change their opinions on the topic of a particular religion's mythological component, as adults, is so tiny that arguing about it on the Internet is not productive. People, by and large, believe what they were taught when they were kids. Raised as an atheist? Probably going to stay that way. Raised evangelical? Same.

That's not to say it isn't fun to raise a ruckus about it on forums--but don't expect anything other than a rousing row.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2016, 07:56:29 PM »
On Wikipedia--the solution won't ever be to replace it (in this decade). Wikipedia is a part of our culture now and it isn't going anywhere.

If people really care they can go devote thousands of hours to being a Wiki editor, just like the people they're complaining about. There's nothing stopping people from making Wikipedia be "correct" other than a lack of commitment.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2016, 08:01:27 PM »
After having hundreds of hours put into these kinds of conversations, a truth was found:

You can't have a serious discussion about the historicity of a religious text unless you and the opposing party agree on whether or not the mythological aspects are objectively true or not. That's true for Christianity (Catholic, Protestant, LDS, etc.), Islam, Asian religiouns, Druidic/Wiccan varieties, and everything you can think of that has a text associated with it.

When people don't agree on that it's impossible to have a reasonable discourse. Standards of evidence will be completely different and foundational assumptions will be incompatible.

The follow-up to that is another truth: The number of people who change their opinions on the topic of a particular religion's mythological component, as adults, is so tiny that arguing about it on the Internet is not productive. People, by and large, believe what they were taught when they were kids. Raised as an atheist? Probably going to stay that way. Raised evangelical? Same.

That's not to say it isn't fun to raise a ruckus about it on forums--but don't expect anything other than a rousing row.

Trying to point out that atheism comes with its own host of presuppositions and unfounded premises to an unbeliever is often an exercise in futility.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2016, 08:42:33 PM »
That's true for Christianity (Catholic, Protestant, LDS, etc.)

Just had to include the LDS, didn't you?  :laugh:

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2016, 08:48:43 PM »

Say what you will, they have a ton of eye witness testimony for their miracles.  Don't you find that convincing?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2016, 09:45:04 PM »
Say what you will, they have a ton of eye witness testimony for their miracles.  Don't you find that convincing?

Stories of the strange, supernatural and miraculous exist from the beginning of recorded to history to this very day.

Jesus said the only sign or miracle for us to look to is the gospel story.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2016, 10:17:27 PM »
Stories of the strange, supernatural and miraculous exist from the beginning of recorded to history to this very day.

Jesus said the only sign or miracle for us to look to is the gospel story.

Where did jesus say this?  Is it recorded in the same gospel you're telling us to look to?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2016, 10:43:04 PM »

*shrug*
I know, personally, plenty of evangelicals who don't consider Catholics to be Christians, so I'm not sure where to make the distinction.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2016, 10:44:07 PM »
Trying to point out that atheism comes with its own host of presuppositions and unfounded premises to an unbeliever is often an exercise in futility.

Being conscious is a presupposition, but you'll find plenty of philosophers who argue about the merits of objective truth. :)

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2016, 10:54:00 PM »
Where did jesus say this?  Is it recorded in the same gospel you're telling us to look to?

It's in the book of Matthew, ch12.

Then certain of the scribes and Pharisees answered, "Teacher, we want to see a sign from you." But he answered them, "An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, but no sign will be given it but the sign of Jonah the prophet.

For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the whale, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. The men of Nineveh will stand up in the judgment with this generation, and will condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, someone greater than Jonah is here. The queen of the south will rise up in the judgment with this generation, and will condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and behold, someone greater than Solomon is here.

Again in John ch6

They said therefore to him, "What then do you do for a sign, that we may see, and believe you? What work do you do? Our fathers ate the manna in the wilderness. As it is written, 'He gave them bread out of heaven to eat.'"

Jesus therefore said to them, "Most certainly, I tell you, it wasn't Moses who gave you the bread out of heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread out of heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down out of heaven, and gives life to the world." They said therefore to him, "Lord, always give us this bread."

Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2016, 02:03:37 AM »

Cute, but back to this assertion that all the bible scholars believe the new testament was written last summer, or whatever it was you said. Where did you get this narrative?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2016, 03:10:27 AM »

Cute, but back to this assertion that all the bible scholars believe the new testament was written last summer, or whatever it was you said. Where did you get this narrative?

Reading historical books.  Are you dismissing that because you think there aren't eye witnesses to the Mormon miracles?  There are probably even some living ones you could interview.

What's the in principle difference between your faith in eye witness testimony and theirs?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #88 on: October 26, 2016, 05:22:29 AM »
Quote from: fistful link=topic=5295 :rofl:5.msg1081309#msg1081309 date=1477442553

He left out those members of the Churh of the Old Norse (Reformed).   Not sur whether to.be grateful or insulted.  :rofl:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #89 on: October 26, 2016, 08:11:55 AM »
What's the in principle difference between your faith in eye witness testimony and theirs?

"But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed."

Miracles/signs are not all from God.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2016, 08:14:56 AM »
DeSelby makes dubious appeals to authority attempting to bolster his case.

I have a collection of books from Robert Alter. He is a prominent Hebrew scholar and is neither a Christian nor a practicing religious Jew from any information I can find.  

The books I own are his translations of the Pentateuch, Wisdom books and some of the prophets. The translations also contain a running commentary, mostly historical and archaeological in nature with plenty of notes regarding translation choices.  

He often will discuss several options he had in translating and then give the reason he chose a particular direction.

Now as an unbeliever he is not biased towards choosing a translation that is consistent with the whole (Bible). On occasion he points out a translation he rejected but for example the KJV translators chose. His reasons are often his knowledge of Hebrew grammar or word construction. Sometimes the reason is just a personal preference due to nothing more than a "I like this way better than that" .

I don't expect him to view the whole OT as a whole as he doesn't believe it is a whole. But, if it was meant to be a whole then he would be wrong in some of his choices in translation and the translators choosing the option that maintains consistency would be correct.

Appeals to authority only get you so far, especially when you start examining the presuppositions of those authorities. It gets a bit more complicated the deeper you drill.

BTW, the books by Alter often have fascinating archaeological and cultural background information. The commentary can be dense but often truly rewarding.  

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2016, 08:29:06 AM »
Reading historical books.  Are you dismissing that because you think there aren't eye witnesses to the Mormon miracles?  There are probably even some living ones you could interview.

I don't know what kind of law you practice, but I would have thought any law school education would cover this. Is all eyewitness testimony the same? Don't the circumstances make some more credible than others?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 09:18:12 AM by fistful »

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2016, 11:18:31 AM »
On Wikipedia--the solution won't ever be to replace it (in this decade). Wikipedia is a part of our culture now and it isn't going anywhere.

Yep, just like myspace.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2016, 11:28:54 AM »
Are you dismissing that because you think there aren't eye witnesses to the Mormon miracles?

I have personally seen a potluck where someone brought enough deviled eggs.  In my experience, that's about as miraculous as it gets.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2016, 05:32:47 PM »

I don't know what kind of law you practice, but I would have thought any law school education would cover this. Is all eyewitness testimony the same? Don't the circumstances make some more credible than others?

Haha, okay, tell me how the circumstances of your bible make for more reliable eye witness testimony than theirs

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2016, 05:53:57 PM »
Haha, okay, tell me how the circumstances of your bible make for more reliable eye witness testimony than theirs

Tell me about their miracles, and what the witnesses said about them. One of our resident Mormons once gave me a list. I recall finding it rather flimsy, but perhaps you refer to something else.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2016, 06:21:43 PM »

Tell me about their miracles, and what the witnesses said about them. One of our resident Mormons once gave me a list. I recall finding it rather flimsy, but perhaps you refer to something else.

So if they had seen the dead risen you'd be more convinced?  That's the problem, their miracles weren't cool enough?

Come on man, this has got to offend your intellect on some level.  There is no historical or scientific basis for any religion.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2016, 07:18:30 PM »
I don't think there's any shortage of modern-day miracles, including those that have happened in LDS history in the 1800's on. Lots of ancient miracles before and after Christ, too. All pale in comparison to the life, mission, atonement and resurrection of Jesus Christ. If you don't believe in that one, asking what we think about other claimed ones is looking beyond the point.

There is no historical or scientific basis for any religion.

Faith is a matter of . . . faith, by design. There is evidence aplenty of the reality of Christ, but you have to be of mind to look for it and more correctly, experiment on it and experience it. You're not, at least not at the moment. There's nothing that can be said on this thread that's going to change that.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2016, 07:52:34 PM »
And that looks and sounds like a good place to end this one...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.