Author Topic: Voted  (Read 14323 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Voted
« on: October 18, 2016, 11:48:52 AM »
Filled out my ballot last night.  Wrote in Opus and Bill the Cat for POTUS/VPOTUS.  SWMBO wrote in SMOD.

The Superintendent of Public Instruction was also up.  Both candidates were terrible, so we both wrote in Duke Pesta.  Google him and watch some videos of his talks on the educational system.  He'd actually be fantastic as the Superintendent, IMHO.

Voted against I-1491 of course.  That's another big gun control voter initiative. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Voted
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 12:16:34 PM »
I'm sorry, but I won't give you the flaming you so obviously crave.

Unless the above counts.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 12:30:03 PM »
I know we've had our differences about politics, but I'm pleased to see you helped Hillary Clinton with her election. 

Was it worth calling me a flaming leftist so many times when you were going to vote for the worst authoritarian to run in United States history?

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 12:36:50 PM »
I hope you'll be happy with HRC's picks for SCOTUS.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 12:40:31 PM »
I don't have a problem with the way you voted. 

You voted for who you thought would do the best job.

For those that say he threw away a vote or is going to get Hillary elected because of it are full of *expletive deleted*it.

The only vote that is thrown away is the one not made, and that isn't always true.

As for getting Hillary elected it would depend on who is going to carry that state.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 12:47:09 PM »
SWMBO wrote in SMOD.

If SMOD wins, how do we make it happen?

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 12:47:28 PM »
If SMOD wins, how do we make it happen?

Magnets

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 01:32:59 PM »
Did my absentee ballot a few weeks back.  (Since I'll be a judge on election day.)

James Mattis- POTUS; Allen West -VPOTUS.

I voted for the Libertarian for both US Senate (against both Kirk and Duckworth) and US Rep.  (Roskam went from a firebrand conservative to a quiet, content backbencher).

Voted against all the judges up for retention.

Voted against Tim Elliott for county board, (He was the lawyer for College of DuPage the last several years, when all the shenanigans were going on.   He's like Jamie Gorelick.  No way I could vote for him.)

Thinking back.  I probably voted against more people then I ever have in past elections.  Either I've become more curmudgeonly or (more likely) all the candidates totally suck donkey balls.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 01:39:57 PM »
Thinking back.  I probably voted against more people then I ever have in past elections.  Either I've become more curmudgeonly or (more likely) all the candidates totally suck donkey balls.

You, like many people, are fed up and angry. This is unsurprising.

What we really need is a foreign enemy to carpet bomb DC so we can start over.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 01:58:09 PM »

What we really need is a foreign enemy to carpet bomb DC so we can start over.

FTFY.

Yes, The simple fact is that the amount of corruption with Hillary is unfathomable.  And the fact that she is in the race and has sooooo many people that unquestionably supporting her just proves how screwed up this country has become.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 02:16:58 PM »
So, I was gonna start a sticky topic before this one got posted, but I figure here is as good a place as any.

ARMED POLITE SOCIETY.

Presidential elections are always sticky wickets around here. I only want to have to say this once: It doesn't matter how vehemently you may disagree with how someone here voted -- it is THEIR vote, and you WILL respect their right to choose their best candidate. Bill said it best: the only vote that is thrown away is the one not made.

If you don't like how someone voted (or they don't like how you voted), fine, that's your opinion. You can state your reasoning logically and politely. However, any direct attacks on individuals here because they didn't vote how you wanted them to vote will be shut down hard by staff.

ARMED POLITE SOCIETY.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 02:27:50 PM »
So, I was gonna start a sticky topic before this one got posted, but I figure here is as good a place as any.

ARMED POLITE SOCIETY.

Presidential elections are always sticky wickets around here. I only want to have to say this once: It doesn't matter how vehemently you may disagree with how someone here voted -- it is THEIR vote, and you WILL respect their right to choose their best candidate. Bill said it best: the only vote that is thrown away is the one not made.

If you don't like how someone voted (or they don't like how you voted), fine, that's your opinion. You can state your reasoning logically and politely. However, any direct attacks on individuals here because they didn't vote how you wanted them to vote will be shut down hard by staff.

ARMED POLITE SOCIETY.

My post was tongue in cheek. (And I hope no one thinks I seriously want a country attacking our own. War is a terrible thing.)

However, there is research that suggests countries that lose (or suffer significantly) during war see much greater growth than countries that suffered no (or little) loss because the bureaucracy recovers more slowly than industries can. And honestly, I'm not sure how we are going to cut bureaucracy short of losing a war, at this point.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 02:49:44 PM »

In general, I agree. A person's vote always counts. I joke about throwing away my vote, but a person's opinion in their own and they "owe" a vote to no one. That line of thinking is about a third of the country's problem out the gate[1].

[1] There's only one exception, of course. A vote for anyone but General Mattis for POTUS is a wasted. The only people who disagree are true scum of the earth....  Communists. Vegetarians. And people who do CrossFit...
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 03:06:40 PM »
[1] There's only one exception, of course. A vote for anyone but General Mattis for POTUS is a wasted. The only people who disagree are true scum of the earth....  Communists. Vegetarians. And people who do CrossFit... talk at the theatre.

Fixed.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 05:04:39 PM »
You know, I have "moved" recently but haven't had time to get my state of residence established and today was the cut off to register in Kansas for this coming general election, so I just decided to request an absentee ballot from Oklahoma.

I still have interest down there with the fact I still own the house and currently serving in the Oklahoma Army National Guard.  Why shouldn't I vote?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 10:28:03 PM »
For those that say he threw away a vote or is going to get Hillary elected because of it are full of *expletive deleted*it.

No, we're not.

He didn't throw his vote away, he effectively voted for Hillary by not voting for the candidate who just might have an outside chance of beating her -- if enough people will refrain from voting for Bill the cat.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 10:57:24 PM »
This election prevents a good case for preference voting.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 11:10:02 PM »
My deep seated philosophy is that voting should only be done by those who actually have a clue about why and who they are voting for.  We sent in our absentee ballots a couple weeks ago.  If you are over 65 among other reasons, you can vote absentee in Michigan.  I have never been so disconnected (for want of a better word) with why I vote.    Of course it's impossible to enforce whether someone is oblivious as to the why or not rather than just disjointed about it.  Certainly, if one has an open mind, actually pays attention, the who part is reasonably discovered.  

Having said all that, I decided that in this case I needed to vote for a man who is a capitalist, who has played both ends against the middle with respect to the political establishment because he understands, at his level of capitalism, how corrupt the system is and know how to play it.  Further, he has a towering ego, but according to everything that I can find out about him, he seems to be a rather charitable person who treats most everyone half way decently if not overly decent.  He's no angel of course and he does have enemies.  

His ego will make him attempt to accomplish some of the things he has talked about with respect to his slogan of Make America Great Again.  I'm not fooled into believing that he is some rescuing angel, but our country is divided badly and ruled by an oligarchy.  The fact that the oligarchy obviously hates him with a burning passion, is a plus in my view.  If he is able to convince enough elected officials to actually begin to honor their oath and begin to swerve our nation back toward the center that will be a plus.  

As for our old enemies, China and Russia, we need to engage with them as an economic partner somehow.  He seems to understand this, though China has other ideas, but with the state of affairs in the world today, might just keep moving in a direction that might be benign.  We need to convince them that the 3 of our nations are more threatened by the stone age, tribalist Islamists;Daesh.  Being economic partners might just trump (pun intended) expansionism that is not ideal. His opponent stands against all of this and is not a capitalist, and is more closely connected to the oligarchy.  A good deal of that is the military industrial complex, among others.  This says nothing about who she will appoint to the SCOTUS.  That will not bode well for our Republic.

So we voted for Trump.  We had good reasons to do so.  Voting for other candidates, in our view, became less of a matter of conscience and more of expediency with respect to the opportunity or a chance to change our country's course.  The opportunity to hope to change America back to what was decent, if even a bit, is more important than selfish self interest over the good of our people as a whole.  We also voted for local judges who are not so far to the right.  Strict law and order judges are sometimes troublesome given the economic system that has now replaced our legal system.  Strictly liberal judges are not too evident around here at the moment.  Then we voted for every Libertarian candidate for all the university boards.  Exercise in futility there, but you never know.  Things are better changed from the bottom up rather than the top down imho, and I feel we can risk making a statement at that level. 

OK, that's enough propundiating for tonight.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 12:13:20 AM »
No, we're not.

He didn't throw his vote away, he effectively voted for Hillary by not voting for the candidate who just might have an outside chance of beating her -- if enough people will refrain from voting for Bill the cat.

No.  Only a vote for Hillary is a vote for Hillary.  

100 people are voting in an election.  48 vote for Candidate A.  39 vote for Candidate B.  7 vote for Candidate C.  5 vote for candidates D-F.  1 votes for a write in because they can't stand A or B, and C-F are idiots, worse still than A and B, or are just as meaningless as the write in option but less satisfying personally.  That person that voted for the write in candidate didn't effect the outcome of the election at all.  No matter who they vote for Candidate A still wins.  Even those that vote for Candidate C don't affect the outcome, as even if the write in and all C votes had gone to B, A still wins, albeit barely.

And those saying I should take some blame for Hilary's POTUS picks, realize that Trump can, and very well might nominate Garland or someone similar just like how all of his other positions have become flexible throughout the election season.  I have ZERO faith that he'd nominate another Thomas or Alito, or even another Scalia.  Best case, IMHO, is another Kennedy and likely is another Souter.

Besides, I could vote for Trump, or the Bill the Cat, 100,000 times and HRC would still win WA.  She'll wind up taking the state by 10 points, easy.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 12:38:04 AM »
"Besides, I could vote for Trump, or the Bill the Cat, 100,000 times and HRC would still win WA.  She'll wind up taking the state by 10 points, easy."

So, I'll use the same tactic that is used by those who would vote for 3 or 4th tier candidates or write in some protest vote.  If y'all didn't do that and actually voted for Trump (for example) Hillary would lose in a landslide.  He's a known unknown.  Better to take a chance there than a whistle in the graveyard.  The rest of the field are the real clowns in my view.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 12:49:23 AM »
My post was tongue in cheek. (And I hope no one thinks I seriously want a country attacking our own. War is a terrible thing.)

However, there is research that suggests countries that lose (or suffer significantly) during war see much greater growth than countries that suffered no (or little) loss because the bureaucracy recovers more slowly than industries can. And honestly, I'm not sure how we are going to cut bureaucracy short of losing a war, at this point.

Old thing is it seems that most of those countries that lost were rebuilt and grown with US tax dollars.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 01:10:49 AM »
"Besides, I could vote for Trump, or the Bill the Cat, 100,000 times and HRC would still win WA.  She'll wind up taking the state by 10 points, easy."

So, I'll use the same tactic that is used by those who would vote for 3 or 4th tier candidates or write in some protest vote.  If y'all didn't do that and actually voted for Trump (for example) Hillary would lose in a landslide.  He's a known unknown.  Better to take a chance there than a whistle in the graveyard.  The rest of the field are the real clowns in my view.

In this state, you could restrict the ballot to just 2, disallow write ins, force everyone that would have voted 3rd party or write in to actually cast a ballot, and HRC would still win by a significant margin.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 04:06:44 AM »
In this state, you could restrict the ballot to just 2, disallow write ins, force everyone that would have voted 3rd party or write in to actually cast a ballot, and HRC would still win by a significant margin.

Just imagine all 50,000 people saying that in unison as they read out the 49,000 vote difference

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 07:59:40 AM »
I voted for GWB twice. As a thought experiment lets say he is running against Hillary this time around, pretending it's allowed.

In good conscience I could not vote for him. Knowing what I know now I realize he is as detrimental to our nation as Hillary. Nothing more than a globalist who wants to see the progressive agenda instituted more slowly than the Democrat timetable. I would have to either note vote or cast a protest vote. Bush was a disaster in my view and my having voted for him makes me feel partially culpable for that disaster. I could not vote for him even with the specter of a Hillary presidency as the alternative.

For weeks now I've been trying to rationalize a vote for Trump but I'm not there...yet.  On paper Trump is just not qualified to be President and my fear is that with his shallowness of knowledge he could be led astray by wormtongue type advisers. On the other hand his instincts seem to be pretty good and he is surrounding himself with people that indicate he is serious about his main policy goals, goals I agree with.

Ultimately it is up to Trump to win over the fence sitters, not me.  
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 08:16:22 AM »
I voted for GWB twice. As a thought experiment lets say he is running against Hillary this time around, pretending it's allowed.

In good conscience I could not vote for him. Knowing what I know now I realize he is as detrimental to our nation as Hillary. Nothing more than a globalist who wants to see the progressive agenda instituted more slowly than the Democrat timetable. I would have to either note vote or cast a protest vote. Bush was a disaster in my view and my having voted for him makes me feel partially culpable for that disaster. I could not vote for him even with the specter of a Hillary presidency as the alternative.

For weeks now I've been trying to rationalize a vote for Trump but I'm not there...yet.  On paper Trump is just not qualified to be President and my fear is that with his shallowness of knowledge he could be led astray by wormtongue type advisers. On the other hand his instincts seem to be pretty good and he is surrounding himself with people that indicate he is serious about his main policy goals, goals I agree with.

Ultimately it is up to Trump to win over the fence sitters, not me.  

I would agree with you on GW.  The main point in favour of trump isn't what he says, it's who he answers to- his only constituency is voters, literally.  The rest of the centres of power HATE him