Author Topic: Campbell's Slow Cooker Sauces -- Buffalo Chicken  (Read 6355 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Campbell's Slow Cooker Sauces -- Buffalo Chicken
« on: October 24, 2016, 11:24:39 AM »
Saw them for the first time on a trip to the store, so I grabbed a container of the Buffalo Chicken sauce.

Tried it yesterday.

My advice is...

Don't make the same mistake I did.

It wasn't good, it wasn't bad...

It simply wasn't there. There was NO flavor to the finished product at all.

Even a big heaping dose of blue cheese and extra hot sauce couldn't save it.

I saved the rest to try making buffalo chicken dip with, but I think it's going to be a long shot to get anything usable out of it.

Really, really disappointing.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Campbell's Slow Cooker Sauces -- Buffalo Chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 11:48:12 AM »
I make my own sauce with a copy cat of Hooters sauce. I roast chicken legs in the oven, then I keep them warm with sauce in the crock pot. We call em tyrannosaurus wings.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 11:53:22 AM »
Generally I make my own, as well, but I was cruising the store, saw it, and thought I'd give it a try.

Big mistake.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 12:14:53 PM »
Isn't Buffalo sauce just Frank's Hot Sauce and butter?  Any other cheap red cayenne pepper sauce might work too (not Tabasco) but you'll have to add a little garlic.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 12:30:46 PM »
Isn't Buffalo sauce just Frank's Hot Sauce and butter?  Any other cheap red cayenne pepper sauce might work too (not Tabasco) but you'll have to add a little garlic.

Among other things, yes. Some have additional spices and herbs. It is pretty straight forward, though, and I really should have done it myself.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 12:38:54 PM »
I make my own sauce with a copy cat of Hooters sauce. I roast chicken legs in the oven, then I keep them warm with sauce in the crock pot. We call em tyrannosaurus wings.

Great idea.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 12:39:50 PM »
"We call em tyrannosaurus wings."

More like stubby forearms.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 12:44:25 PM »
Great idea.

Legs are way cheaper than wings and with the modern industry fast weight gain chicken, it's pretty much all white meat anyways.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 12:47:45 PM »
I went to buy some raw wings to feed to Seren a few days ago. I'm slowly transitioning her to a raw diet (and she's very much liking it!)

Freaking $2.79 a POUND for goddamned chicken wings!  :mad:

I couldn't believe it!

It's been some years since I've bought wings, but I'm pretty sure that the last time I did they were maybe 59 cents a freaking pound.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 12:50:32 PM »
I went to buy some raw wings to feed to Seren a few days ago. I'm slowly transitioning her to a raw diet (and she's very much liking it!)

Freaking $2.79 a POUND for goddamned chicken wings!  :mad:

I couldn't believe it!

It's been some years since I've bought wings, but I'm pretty sure that the last time I did they were maybe 59 cents a freaking pound.

I'm close to price per pound of boneless skinless chicken breast at 2.79.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 12:57:30 PM »
Freaking $2.79 a POUND for goddamned chicken wings!  :angry:
I'm starting to see 10 lb bags of chicken leg quarters on sale for $3.90 again.  You could cut them up; "Buffalo" the legs, and debone the thighs and use them for schnitzel or something, and the bones and trimmings for soup stock.

How do turkey wings compare to chicken?  (I know they are bigger, Smartass)  Are they too tough?  Or maybe they cost just as much as chicken wings?
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 01:06:07 PM »
I'm close to price per pound of boneless skinless chicken breast at 2.79.

EXACTLY!

Boneless skinless breasts are $2.99 at my local store, and are often on sale for $1.99.

Thighs and legs are often on sale for $1.09 a pound.

Wing prices have gone to hell and back because everyone figured out how easy it is to make buffalo *expletive deleted*ing chicken wings at home, and now they're a hot, and horribly overpriced, commodity.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 01:10:11 PM »
"How do turkey wings compare to chicken?  (I know they are bigger, Smartass)  Are they too tough?  Or maybe they cost just as much as chicken wings?"

Yeah. They're bigger. (Screw your attempted at pre-emption! :rofl:)

Never tried turkey wings, and you only really see turkey wings in stores around here, and then quite infrequently, during the run up to the holidays. I normally use them for stock.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 01:32:31 PM »
I'm starting to see 10 lb bags of chicken leg quarters on sale for $3.90 again.  You could cut them up; "Buffalo" the legs, and debone the thighs and use them for schnitzel or something, and the bones and trimmings for soup stock.

How do turkey wings compare to chicken?  (I know they are bigger, Smartass)  Are they too tough?  Or maybe they cost just as much as chicken wings?
Lots of tendons and sinew compared to chicken

Uranus is a gas giant.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 02:44:23 PM »

Well that's disappointing.  The tavern style pot roast one was good the last couple times I used it.  Perfect for dropping a 3lb roast in the crock pot on Sunday afternoon and grazing on it for a couple days before adding carrots, potatoes, etc. to turn it into stew for the rest of the week.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 06:29:39 PM »

Campbell's. What did you expect?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 07:01:25 PM »
"We call em tyrannosaurus wings."

More like stubby forearms.

Someone call me?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 08:19:12 PM »
Never been a big fan of turkey wings. Off a whole bird they're nice, but buying them on their own I've just never enjoyed the finished product as much.

Now turkey legs, on the other hand, are fantastic.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 06:18:53 AM »
Campbell's. What did you expect?

From their sauces and such, a LOT more. I've used various Campbell's sauces (oven & skillet) and overall they've been pretty good.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 10:56:18 AM »
A cheap meal I just made was a can of Campbells Creme of Mushroom Soup, a can of Celery Soup with a can of water in a 9 x 13 pan.

Add a cup of rice mixed in, I used brown, recipe called for wild rice.

Then I put "bone in" half breasts across the top, covered with foil and cooked at 350 for two and a half hours.

Great chicken & rice meal on the cheap.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 12:06:09 PM »
A cheap meal I just made was a can of Campbells Creme of Mushroom Soup, a can of Celery Soup with a can of water in a 9 x 13 pan.

Then I put "bone in" half breasts across the top, covered with foil and cooked at 350 for two and a half hours.

I've made very similar dishes in the past. The same kind of combination also works well in the slow cooker.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 12:38:16 PM »

Mom used to do the same only instead of the celery soup she would use onion soup mix.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2016, 04:40:52 PM »

Freaking $2.79 a POUND for goddamned chicken wings!  :mad:

I couldn't believe it!

Drive to Woodbridge. Shop at ALDI. Once a month, chicken legs are $.69 per pound and boneless skinless chicken breast is $1.69 per pound.

Wings probably go on sale, too, but I can't call recall the prices offhand.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 04:42:32 PM »

EXACTLY!

Boneless skinless breasts are $2.99 at my local store, and are often on sale for $1.99.

Thighs and legs are often on sale for $1.09 a pound.

Wing prices have gone to hell and back because everyone figured out how easy it is to make buffalo *expletive deleted*ing chicken wings at home, and now they're a hot, and horribly overpriced, commodity.

Ah, that was your point. Exactly right.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 07:06:43 PM »
Sounds horrible. [barf] [barf]
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods