Author Topic: But it won't affect you!  (Read 1445 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
But it won't affect you!
« on: November 01, 2016, 01:16:44 PM »
So there's a news story that's been sitting on the back-back-burner for the past six months or so, illustrating how love wins. The tl;dr version is that a doctor left a public health job in California, amid some uproar, and was fired/not hired (it's reported both ways) for a similar position in Georgia. As far as I have found, it all has to do with the fact that he is also a preacher, and preaches, ya know, Christian-type stuff. I don't think anyone's claiming that his traditional views have actually caused a problem for anyone seeking medical help - but they theorize that it might.

I heard Barry Lynn, of the Orwellianly-named Americans United for the Separation of Church and State, defending this. It's not surprising he actually supports a religious litmus test for a government job. His defense was that the guy won't try to help homosexuals with AIDS, because he believes they choose to be homosexual. This is most interesting, as I've not heard of any medical professionals being kicked out of the hospital for believing that people make choices about, say, their diet, that have consequences. Nor have I heard anyone claiming that having unsafe sex is not a choice. Not until Barry Lynn.

Dr. Eric Walsh, a California physician and former director of public health for the city of Pasadena, Calif. Walsh is also a devout Christian, a Seventh-day Adventist who sometimes preaches in his spare time.

Walsh, a former member of the President’s Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS, had accepted a job in Georgia as a district health director when Georgia officials became aware that he’d delivered a number of “controversial” sermons on his own time — sermons where he articulated orthodox Seventh-day Adventist positions on, among other things, human sexuality, Islam, evolution, and the corrupting influence of pop culture.

In California, Walsh had been attacked by student activists who objected to his selection as a commencement speaker at Pasadena City College. To these activists, working for former president Bush and President Obama to combat AIDS, serving as a board member of the Latino Health Collaborative, and starting California’s first city-run dental clinic for low-income families dealing with HIV/AIDS wasn’t sufficient to overcome the horror at Walsh’s Christian views. Under fire, Walsh canceled his commencement speech — while the city, incredibly, put him on administrative leave. The college replaced him with a gay screenwriter.

When Georgia officials learned of Walsh’s California controversy, they responded by immediately violating the law. Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits government employers from considering an applicant’s religion in employment decisions, but Georgia officials not only evaluated Walsh’s religious views, the director of human resources wrote an e-mail to department employees giving them the “assignment” of listening to his sermons.

And so they did. E-mails indicate that health-department employees split the sermons up, listened to Walsh’s religious views, and took notes. Walsh asserts that one department official called and told him that “you can’t preach that and work in the field of public health.” The very next day, Walsh claims that department officials held a “hastily arranged” meeting to discuss Walsh’s employment.

Not everyone supported the witch hunt: Walsh claims that the health department’s own lawyer twice warned department officials that Walsh’s religious beliefs “could play no role” in the department’s employment decisions. One health-department employee issued his own stark warning, saying: “If we do not hire this applicant on the basis of evidence of job performance and disqualify him on the basis of discrimination by those who seek to advance their own agenda and do him harm, I believe we are no better than they are.”

These warnings went unheeded, and two days after health-department officials carried out their “assignment” to watch his sermons, they terminated Walsh — informing him through a mocking voice-mail message that a termination letter was on its way.

The health department has since claimed that the sermons that officials were “assigned” to watch had nothing at all to do with Walsh’s termination. Instead, they claim they fired him because they believed Walsh failed to disclose outside income while working in California — an assertion that Walsh contests and asserts never came up at any stage of the Georgia interview process.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/434297/eric-walsh-georgia-public-health-doctor-fired-christian-beliefs

They apparently don't deny that they had people comb through his sermons. In fact, they're doubling down now, by demanding that he turn over any sermon notes, and his Bible (for any marginal notes).

The state of Georgia later filed a Request for Production of Documents and asked for copies of his sermons and all material relating dating back to when he began preaching at the age of 18.

http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2016/october/family-research-council-backs-georgia-pastor-who-refuses-to-hand-over-sermons

Plus, this handy compendium of ways in which we've become more tolerant since we got on "the right side of history."

http://thefederalist.com/2015/07/24/the-big-gay-marriage-lie/

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: But it won't affect you!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 02:56:26 PM »
Sounds like a doozy of a lawsuit.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 03:27:31 PM »
Sounds like a doozy of a lawsuit.

Hmm.. quote function is hung up.

Anyway- we're still at the point where he can win his lawsuit, but I'd put his chances at 50/50. Expect at least one court or appeals court to rule against him. 50/50 if it gets to the Supremes, as well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 03:32:18 PM »
Most people never think oppressive lefty laws are aimed at them until they become the target. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 04:20:46 PM »
The Law of Merited Impossibility strikes again.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 05:22:09 PM »
The Law of Merited Impossibility strikes again.

I think I may need to write a book/website in which I gather up the wild-eyed predictions of fuddy-duddies, that Elvis will cause our daughters to become whores, and that females wearing pants will lead to enforced acceptance of transexualism, etc, etc. Each such crazy, impossible prediction would be paired with news stories of the predictions coming true.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:37:24 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 05:51:46 PM »
They apparently don't deny that they had people comb through his sermons. In fact, they're doubling down now, by demanding that he turn over any sermon notes, and his Bible (for any marginal notes).

I'm pretty far from being the most pious sort, and I'm fairly certain I've owned more than a dozen Bibles since 18.  I know where four are at the moment, and at least three of those have some highlights and notes.  I also own preacher's commentaries and other books that would be heavily noted were I preparing sermons on any sort of regular basis.  I'd expect in Dr. Walsh's case, he probably has a mid sized bookshelf worth of books with sermon-related margin notes.

And more importantly, they're not one damn bit of anybody's business but his and God's unless (and then only to the extent that) he shares them freely.